BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 06-06-2015, 12:26 AM

Default Storing Yeast?

Any reason a person shouldn't store yeast in a plastic pail with a tight fitting plastic lid?

I just made my first batch of sourdough dinner rolls and they didn't hardly raise at all.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:09 AM

Hi, Did you proof the yeast before you used it? I keep mine in frig in plastic container with lid. I was having problems with my regular bread rising in oven. Then I realized the flour I was using (Kamut) is better suited to levaine style breads. Once I just used unbleached flour bread was fine. I do proof yeast though and I don't add salt until final mixing.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:43 AM

what do you mean, proof yeast?

keeping yeast in the frig helps? I use to till I bought a big bag from costco, then I have just been keeping it in the pantry.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:09 PM

Proofing is putting the yeast in 1/4-1/2 cup of warm water with the sugar (or honey..) in measuring cup and allowing it to sit for about ten minutes to make sure it is still alive, bubbly.
Lol I'm using Costco yeast I've had for years in frig. I make a fair amount of bread, just not always yeast. I have a starter I use also.
There are also thoughts around some bakers that putting the salt in in the beginning of mixing can retard yeast.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:34 PM

I might have figured it out, I just re read the recipe and it says half table spoon, not half teaspoon of yeast, like I thought it said!

I will proof my yeast just to make sure though, thanks.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:18 PM

I have those really DUH moments, usually when I think I know what I'm doing. I used to bake lots of pumpkin pies, one time we all took a bite bleh! I forgot the sugar. Now I get out all the ingredients for baking have them measured and ready to go and go over ingredients a couple time (my brain is just not a quick as it was).
Old 06-07-2015, 11:05 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Did you make yeast rolls or sourdough rolls?
You can use a little yeast if your sourdough starter isn't strong enough. Which is one reason they might not have risen to your liking. I usually don't mix the two. We really like the taste of sourdough over yeast for some breads.
I keep my yeast in the fridge but just last week dehydrated two cups of fed sourdough starter and vacuume sealed it in a jar then put it in the fridge. I'll wait a few months and see if I can re-start it. You are suppose to be able to do this. We'll see if I have the touch to do so.

There are so many different recipes on the net. I love Youtube for sourdough recipes.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:50 AM

We keep our yeast in a tightly sealed container in the freezer. I have no idea how old it is - a decade or more? - but it is still good. It was originally one of those large Costco sized bags and we're finally using it up to make pizza dough.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:46 PM

I proofed the yeast and it did get foamy, so I guess it is ok.
Sourdough dinner rolls was what I was going for, how do you know if your sourdough is strong enough or not? I made this sour dough a few months ago, but did use it for pancakes the morning before I made the rolls, I had just added more flour and water a few hours earlier.

anyone have a good sourdough recipe for making bread in a bread machine? mine keeps coming our real heavy and compact, like it is not rising enough.