BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial

Financial Anything money-related that does not have a dedicated board.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:03 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Thrift Store Myths....

https://www.yahoo.com/makers/9-thing...557320300.html
===
OK... I read this and thought it was kinda neat info... Written more to sell the article, but with at least some good info...

But then there is a whole complete different prospective on this from a guy point of view.... For this guy, it is more kinda the thrill of the hunt..... Anyway, if someone can get a bit of "useful" out of it... Go for it...

Good luck...
Old 05-30-2015, 01:54 PM

I like thrift shops. Some I like better than others.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:36 PM

“Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new.”

― Henry David Thoreau, Walden

I enjoy the hunt as much as the savings. Whether it's a stainless steel pressure cooker for $4 or a near new Columbia fishing shirt for $5 there's always a little pleasure in making the find. More fun than a scratch off, that's for sure!

One of my better finds: A high quality back pack for $3 or $4 if I remember right. It had a bad zipper. It also had a lifetime warranty. $6 to ship it and I now have a brand new, $110 back pack which has served me daily for over 4 years and still going strong.

On the flip side: We cleaned out a widow's storage after she passed. She had some good stuff and we could have spent a few days holding a yard sale. Instead, we donated the stuff to a charity store who picked it all up. A couple of days later, I saw some of her Chinese vases on the shelf for $30 or so each. They were gone the next day.

I would never have gotten that much for the vases, even after investing days in the yard sale process. That donation made a good deal for some buyer, jobs for the pick up crews and inventory processors while saving me a bunch of time. I call it a very satisfying WIN!

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:29 PM
Master Pontificator

Our (2 Social Security Seniors) monthly clothing budget is $30 per month. My shoes cost at least $100 a pair. So figure it this way $30 x 12 = $360 - $100 = $260 ÷ 2 = $130 each. I love quality clothing and absolutely loath cheaply made carp. I shop two thrift shops -- one very high quality and one medium quality and I have to say both Dh and I have plenty of top brand clothing in our closet. Our 2014 clothing expenses averaged $23.69 a month so $75.72 under budget for the year. For the first five months of 2015 our average spending is $8.77 a month and that includes $8.38 to have a thrift store jacket dry cleaned.

The medium quality shop has a bag sale once a month. Just for fun (not need) I went to the bag sale and got two brand new men's shirts, ladies jacket, men's jacket and a nightgown and used items 2 blouses, 8 knit tops, denim jumper, sundress, 2-piece dress, half slip, 3 pair slacks and a summer housecoat. One pair of slacks and two knit shirts got donated back due to not fitting.

I do not go to the trash shop i.e. Goodwill.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:31 PM

Probably my best thrift store buy was a Ninja blender for $19.99. Came with the blender and a bigger attachment for making dough. All the paddles and hooks and a manual. A couple days later I saw it on an infomercial for $160. Then I found out Wal Mart sold it for $159. Best blender I've ever had.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:45 PM

I have lucked out with $2 walking shoes and other like new for $2 a pair. I have a narrow foot. Matters to which thrift on the price. This walking the doctor tells me to do I need good shoes. I figure my clothes budget at $40 a year. . I have done that since 07 and one year I went $6 over. Rest okay and some others lower. I have kept track as I wanted to know. Was not working any longer. I thought I was spending too much. I told DIL I did not think that was too much. I have plenty of clothes and I have sure up graded over the years.

My dark brown slacks I wear for city are now too big. Even with a belt. Wait and see as I put the few pound on if will fit. Have tops for the brown. I lost few pound sick last month.