BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > After Sunset > History

History history n. A record or narrative description of past events and times.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:44 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default One room school houses

Out of idle curiosity how many of you went to one room school houses as I did ?

I went to two different ones .
first grade ( no such thing as kindergarten) was Mt summit ) . There were 5 kids counting me. Others all girls ( two cousins) - two in 8th grade and two in 6th. Ms Freike , the teacher sometimes brought her first grade daugher along. That made even sides at recess.

I walked in good weather - cut thru woods. Dad bought mom a model a to drive me in bad weather.

The school closed after that year.

My second was grades 2,3,4,5 was Ebenezer grades 1-6 . We had about 20 kids ( lots of cousins) . Teacher , ms Betty . Her husband Merle picked us old mt summit kids up in his little red jeep before becoming the mail carrier.

I know you couldnt get away with anything - ms Betty went to ebenezer Presbyterian church like everybody else so the parents all got their reports on Sunday how we did .

It was great .

Kids say I should right all this stuff down before I forget it all .
Old 03-18-2015, 04:13 PM
Master Pontificator

I did not have the privilege of attending a one room school house. No kindergarten for me either.

All twelve grades we completed at the same rural school however. The entire school was contained in four building. The administrative, instructional & classrooms for grades 1 - 8 was all in one building. Additionally grades 9 - 12 attended all their classrooms in that same building except for Home Economics & Shop which had separate buildings for their classrooms, and the gymnasium served as the center for athletics.

Based on our schools size [number of students/graduates] I would bet we ranked near, if not in the top 10% state wide for having the largest number of college graduates.

It is not the buildings that make a school.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:04 AM

I agree it is not the building that is the school. I remember my Grandma Albion telling me about being a school "marm" at age 16. Her father was a minister and she and her family had come to a town that had just been established. I don't remember the name of the town, but lots of folks had come to the area for a land grab. Wanting to establish themselves as farmers. The only regular building in town was a saloon, that also housed a small mecantile. Her father had convinced the owner to close on Sundays so he could hold church services, and close on weekday mornings so my grandma could hold school. This did cause some confusion from strangers who came into town looking for a drink and didn't know the arrangement.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:16 PM

My small school was more than one room, but I had Kindergarten and 1st grade together with a mean old battle axe that slapped the crap out of us for any real or imagined infractions. Then when I went to first grade, she stayed with us and we had first and second grade together in the same room with the same mean old lady and they put Kindergarten in a church hall that year. How lucky was THAT? Thankfully, we moved for 2nd grade or I would have had her again, and probably would have learned to hate school forever.

>shudder< - bad old days!
Old 05-25-2015, 01:26 AM

I went to a 2 room school house after we had moved from Georgia to a very small place, Barberville Florida. One classroom was for 1,2,3rd. grade and 4,5,6th grade in the other. Had a sister in 2nd. grade, I was in 4th a brother in 5th and another sister in 6th grade. I had 2 cousin's also in my classroom. Each grade had their on row's to sit in, the Principal was our teacher in the 4-5-6th grade, he was great. The school was small, maybe 20 kids in each classroom but I don't feel liked we lacked anything. We moved again to the next town over at the end of 6th grade, we had a big family in and was living in a very small house, my Dad got a better job and we moved into a 2 story house, we actually moved in the center of a orange grove which was another great experience . As I look back now as poor as we were, I still had a great childhood. Several years ago I found out that they had turned my old school into a Frontier place. They had people working their showing the old ways of how people lived and made there living. I got to go back into the school and look around with my husband and I think I cried the whole time I was in there.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:02 AM

They built new schools in my area of Missouri just before i started school.
Prior to that all the local children went to one room school houses.
My Dad would talk about his experiences going to one and he was much in favor of them.
He said it was a better way to learn because all the kids heard all the lessons given to the older kids and they could learn more than just their lessons that way.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowergurl View Post
....all the kids heard all the lessons given to the older kids and they could learn more than just their lessons that way.
I sure would not have been bored to tears through most of my school years that way....
Old 06-11-2015, 02:53 PM

I went from kindergarten thru the 8th grade in a one room country school. Twelve kids was the most that ever went at one time while I was there, one being my sister. When i graduated the 8th grade I think it was down to nine kids.

As for a teacher, when I was in kindergarten and 1st grade I had the same teacher, after that she left and they got a different teacher that stayed until I graduated, a real rip if I do say so. She had her "pets" and believe me I wasn't one of them.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:50 AM

My first year of school was at what was called the Fansler Valley school...
I walked a little less than a half mile many days.. Once in a while my Grandpa would give me a ride on the old John Deere tractor...

The teacher was a single woman from the valley Miss Elanor Roosevelt.. Honest to God that was her name...

I only went there the one year..