BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 06-02-2015, 04:24 PM

Default New to forum, not to print, looking to connect

Hello,

My name is Mike and I used to subscribe to the print edition but stopped a few years ago when I began travelling for work. I've come online to the forum for a few reasons, mostly looking for information, advice, connection, etc.

Though I do engage in some homecrafts and the like I did not grow up rural and I've never done any real homesteading but it has long been a dream for me and I'm ready to take a few steps toward that end. My work is currently in Oklahoma so I live there for the moment and I'm contemplating purchasing a few acres somewhere in NW or northern Arkansas and wondered if a) anyone here lives in the OK/NWA/southern MO areas b) knows anything about real estate in these areas c) has any input into the culture. I've done a decent amount of backpacking in the Ozark Nat'l Forest and thereabouts and so know a little but not much.

I was also wondering, and this may be an odd question, if there's any sort of personals type section on this forum. It's hard to connect with sensible, moral people in the world today, especially if one doesn't get out much and is a 34 year old bachelor, or if one has 'extreme' views about politics, economics, media and technology. A good place to do so is probably church, but I'm not much of a church-goer, so that limits things.

Any suggestions would be thoroughly appreciated, and glad to be a member of the forum.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:44 PM
Master Pontificator

Welcome to the forum. It's never too late to get the homesteading bug. I'm sure you'll find lots of good info on the site. Good luck. Sue
Old 06-02-2015, 09:07 PM

Welcome Mike!
I grew up in the Ozarks but moved away after i married DH.
We plan on retiring and moved back there in a few years.
Maybe try some volunteer work in your area to meet new people?
Please make yourself and home and enjoy the forum.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:15 PM

Welcome! I spend a lot of time in the Arkansas Ozarks due to family. Beautiful country. Spend most of my time up by Harrison.