BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Health

Health Any kind of health issue, alternative medicines, herbal and folk remedies, etc.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:59 PM

Default Blacking out

Has anyone every blacked out and not have any symptoms. The only thing I can find out is that my meds or low blood sugar may have caused it. One other time 10 years ago and a few months later was diagnosed iwth afib.

Husband is out of town for a couple of months and we live out in the country now. So driving is a concern.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:35 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

"Blacking out" - syncopal episodes, could itself be the symptom of something but it can also be caused by a host of things -- even standing the wrong way for a few minutes can set off a vasovagal response which shuts off the blood flow to your head.

Are you taking blood thinners for the A-fib?

If you've been diagnosed with A-fib, dr. visits are pretty important. You could end up throwing a blood clot and end up with a stroke so this is not trivial.

do you check your blood pressure daily?

do you normally have problems with blood sugar?

Have you been drinking enough water?

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:43 PM

No idea how old you are, but seniors sometimes have a problem with "postprandial hypotension" which usually only causes dizziness, but can sometimes cause fainting. Does it usually happen after you eat? If not, then you can eliminate this as a cause.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:09 PM

Default Blacking out

I am 68, the event happened right at lunch time as I was going into a fast food joint. The car drifted into a light post and the only thing hurt was the car. I had forgotten my meds that morning and could have been dehydrated and had low blood sugar which is not a usual event. I recently received a notice from the cardiology clinic that it was time for a checkup, at the old clinic. Have not gotten a new one yet. Have never had any symptoms at all of blacking out, which only lasted seconds. Will have to see about the senior handi bus to get to the store.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:12 AM

A black-out that occurred while driving should be considered as due to a serious medical condition until it's proven otherwise-- ie- don't drive again, as inconvenient as that may be, until you see your doc.

Because you're already known to have a cardiac conduction disorder (a.fib) it's quite possible your heart went into a temporary flutter and you couldn't push enough blood up to your brain. Luckily it fixed itself and you woke up. Maybe it's time for a pacemaker.

Hypoglycemia bad enough to make you pass out is unusual in someone not taking insulin or certain other drugs for diabetes.

Dehydration or excessively strong BP meds can make your BP fall and you pass out, but that's usually in the setting of "orthostatic hypotension"-- you get up too quickly and faint, not when you're sitting quietly like driving.

Neurological problems like seizure disorders, sometimes brought on by emboli in pts with a fib, have to be ruled out.

Your doc may order tests like CT, MRI, carotid doppler and/or Holter monitoring. Most of the time all the tests are normal, no diagnosis can be made, but then it never happens again.

Here's hopin' that's the case for you.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKAN06 View Post
Has anyone every blacked out and not have any symptoms. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Your doc may order tests like CT, MRI, carotid doppler and/or Holter monitoring. Most of the time all the tests are normal, no diagnosis can be made, but then it never happens again.

Here's hopin' that's the case for you.
I had a couple of severe dizzy spells the took me to the counter top after bending over in mid March. I had a very stuffy, full feeling in my head for some time before that. Doctors started all the test Doc suggests and then some. In mid April I developed an ear ache (neve had one before) and went to urgent care. Z-pac (antibiotic) and nasel spray straightened things out in about three weeks.
I would suggest you get your ears checked since no one else has,
Old 06-06-2015, 10:24 PM

When I have low blood sugar I feel lousy. Assuming you would feel just as bad the fact that this came on so suddenly makes me think it is not low blood sugar.

Now, my Mother-who is now 84- has had trouble with Tachycardia since she was 32, and it used to come on VERY suddenly. So judging from what I have seen this sounds more heart-related. If it is heart related I would say at you are due for an adjustment in your meds ASAP.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:22 PM

Low Blood Glucose is a medical emergency. When BG typically gets below 70 it (every individual is different) there is usually a 15 to 30 minute window in which to react with a glucose item.

If the individual is conscious then have them take orange juice, oral glucagon, cake icing, etc. until blood glucose is above 70 and follow up with a complex carb and protein snack peanut butter and crackers with a glass of milk and monitor.

If the individual is unconscious they need I.M. glucose anywhere from 1 to 3 shots (depending on the situation) they may very well need to go to hospital and be on a IV drip with glucose to return to some form of homeostasis.

If prompt care is not given to an unresponsive/unconscious person they can easily have a seizure or go into coma and easily be dead in a very short time.

It's a big deal and people die every day from Hypoglycemia (even people without diabetes) something you need to know how to deal with and be prepared to deal with in the back woods.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:30 PM

Default Blacking out

Two days after the blacking out incident, I went to the ER with an asthma attack. Told me lab, EkG and XR were fine. Treated me with SoluMedrol and sent me on my way along with some Prednisone. All afternoon my BP was elevated and pulse rate elevated. That evening went to walk in care and they did new chest XR and found possible pneumonia or scarring. Found out the steroids were affecting the BP and pulse. Pneumonia 2008 along with the asthma. I was give a ZPac to use also. The drugs are making me light headed and as Doc suggested I am not driving. My 30 something nephew had a pacemaker placed after he had two accidents after blacking out.

Now I am trying to get appointments for follow up care. It seems that you have to submit a request and maybe you will be taken on. Also getting my old records is not as simple as it used to be. I am a retired transcriptionist and records release clerk so am familar with the procedures.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:26 AM

My grandpa had blacking out spells for a year or so before he finally went to the doctor. He ended up with a pacemaker and that fixed the problem.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:25 AM

I hope you are well soon!
Old 06-14-2015, 10:59 AM

My uncle also suffered the same problem for years. After he had a pacemaker installed, he has no longer had any issue. BTW, getting a pacemaker is nothing at all to worry about. I have had 2 ( battery wore out in 1st one ) and can honestly say I have had more pain and discomfort from a tooth ache that the pacemaker surgery. Do not fret that.