BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:51 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Talking Trash picking

On my way home a little bit ago I saw an office chair and another piece of furniture by the dumpster. I left the chair bed a use the cushions were very dirty, something I could see from a distance, and I'm not up to cleaning them besides the fact that I've already got two chairs in the living room along with the loveseat and two different style desks. The other thing was a hutch unit, as they're sometimes called that goes on a desktop, and it was in surprisingly good shape. Since I had my walker I laid the hutch on it back on top of the walker handles and carefully pushed it home. Once I got it on the porch I measured the desk I intend to put it on and it's 39" wide while the hutch is 37" wide, an excellent match to my way of thinking. And of course the price was perfect as it was free!
Old 09-19-2014, 11:34 PM

Day before yesterday I found a shower chair at the end of the dumpster and the only thing wrong that I can see is it's missing one rubber foot. I'll replace all of them, scrub it down good with bleach and see if I can sell it.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:30 PM

This rubber "feet" are not cheap/ Least here they are not. I bought for my stools and cost me more than I paid for at yard sale. I need buy one more set.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:35 PM

Colorado Walgreens sells them for $6.47, plus tax of course, and I'm going to see if I can find them for less at Wal-Mart. I want to see if I can get about $25 for it once I replace that foot/cap.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:26 AM

While out looking for one of my cats this morning I spotted a trash bag by the dumpster with some material hanging out of a hole. I went over, tugged on it and pulled out a little girl's fancy dress of velvet with a thrift store tag still attached to the dress tag at the neckline. I continued to pull out several more of what I generally refer to as "party dresses" in sizes from 5-7 and all of them with the thrift store tags still attached. I will see if my 8 year old granddaughter can wear any of them, but I don't really think so, I may also set aside some of the smaller ones for the almost 4 year old granddaughter. The rest I'm going to wash and take to the church to donate to one of the groups that has a clothing closet. Oh yes, there was one blue striped blouse.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:14 PM

I also will admit to "2nd hand recycling"...... I guess is the best way to describe it....

At the roll off container for recycling articles in my area, I have retrieved 5 gallon buckets, flower pots, a drop cord, gallon pool chemical bottles when I needed them....

And I have taken advantage of curb side "free" articles all in very good, useable shape.... A couple cabin refrigerators, an electric kitchen range, love seat and chair, steel office desk for the garage..

You can't let arrogance or vanity get in the way of practical application planning....

Good luck...
Old 10-17-2014, 08:49 PM
Master Pontificator

I've bought two bath seats for $1 each at an auction and a garage sale. One was regular size and the other was smaller (to fit my mom's tub). I'm still watching for one with a back. I also purchased two commodes at auctions for $1 each. One has a back, arm on one end and transfer on the other end. The second was just a standard commode. Ditto a walker for $1. I'd check around before I spent $6 to replace the feet to find out if it will sell for anything above one or two dollars.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:24 AM

Anna I've decided to contact Project Mend here and see if they want it and will send someone out for it. I've seen them new for about $30 so I don't think I could get much for it and maybe they can get it to someone who needs one.

My latest find was three stuffed toys that I need to wash then pass on to my grandkids. I've had a couple of people tell me that the dining table and chairs that I now own were left by it but the man that put them in my yard said he took them out of a trailer he was cleaning out after the people left.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:23 PM

Good find, MYellowRose!

Reminds me of when I was amazed to find an entire dining table and about 5 matching chairs in a dumpster.

My first thought was that the original owner had bug issues (termites, bedbugs) and freaked out. However, everything looked great so I realized they probably just didn't want the hassle of moving it all. I only had room for one of the chairs in my studio apt, but I still wish I had just taken it all!
Old 03-21-2015, 07:38 PM

My pop is a self proclaimed "dumpster diver" he looks for wood mostly and builds bee hives. He has gotten some nice tongue and groove, windows, all that stuff. Finished and furnished the inside of our cabin about 75% also.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:44 PM

I have stopped at my share of 'curb side shopping'...everything from baseball bats, golf clubs, angle iron, weed torch, conduit, light fixtures in the box, garden hoses that were good, shutters, doors, buck saw, hedge trimmer, wooden chairs that aren't broke, a few bundles of pine molding that were still wrapped, coolers...all sorts of stuff...good to have a barn to store things in...

....but the pickings have been slim lately.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:24 PM
Master Pontificator

found some good quality metal lawn chairs on the curb last week (missing the cushions). i got one out in the sugar shack and another on my porch. the porch itself is made from shipping pallets, logs, and old roofing metal.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:39 AM

Default Barenas old mother hubberts cupboard

This area were in now is pert near picked clean! I found a Rubbermaid kitchen trash can along side the road a few months back and that's been it!!
Old 06-19-2015, 05:02 PM
Master Pontificator

Haven't done too much lately on my leather work....but used to search out the "Urban Buffalo"....Leather couch and chairs left on curbside...

Stop and strip off the leather for projects......
Old 06-19-2015, 07:59 PM
Master Pontificator

When we first got married and people came to visit they would compliment us on our decorating and the furniture. Someone asked what furniture store we shopped at and my husband, with a completely straight face replied "we shop at Side of the Road Furnishings". When he was asked where they were located, we had to tell them that everything in our home, except our bed, was found a garage sales, yard sales or roadside garbage piles.

You know what they say "buy used and save the difference". Well when you get it for free, you can save it all!