BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 03-08-2015, 04:40 PM

Default The Grid Strikes Back

The utility companies wants to add fees for having solar panels on your roof.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...b89_story.html

It sounds like hogwash to me. If there is a flat infrastructure cost, then everyone should pay a flat fee for the infrastructure plus a usage cost per kilowatt hour. Singling out a specific usage type group for a special fee is an attempt to reduce that usage group. Otherwise, they could use that same argument to add fees for energy efficient refrigerators.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:34 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

OK, this is about grid tie systems. No affect on those that have or want solar systems for back up when electricity is lost.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:37 PM

I can somewhat sympathize with the electric companies.

Think of what it takes to produce and transmit electricity. The power company needs to produce their power at high voltage and then it gets stepped down several times before it gets to your meter, where they charge you what appears to be the rate of electricity you're using. But actually, they're charging you the portion of what it costs to generate it at their end, taking into account all the equipment, line losses etc.

Now you start pushing a few amps backwards through the meter at 110vac or maybe 200vac. From what I understand, you end up charging the electric company essentially the same rate for that power.

But the power you're pushing in isn't the same as what you're pulling out. Those amps don't translate backwards into the thousands of volts and amps the power has to be at in order to transmit it to someplace else useful. Your amps are a trickle in a torrent, yet you get to bill the power company at the torrent rate.

Now, to be sure, if you're close enough to your neighbors, then maybe some of your power can get used by them and offset what the power company is sending them - assuming they need the power at the same time you're pushing it in. But if you've ever tried to run a power tool at the end of a long extension cord, you know the kind of losses involved even at those short distances. In those cases, there's less of a discrepancy. But overall, especially in a rural area, the power company's getting the short end of the stick. When the power company is publicly owned, as many are, then everyone else is getting that same stick.

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Note to self.. Look at avatar..
*Robert Frost*
Old 03-08-2015, 10:42 PM

Admittedly my knowledge of electrical systems is very poor....

But I got to call foul on this thing... For instance it seems to me... If I had a home system that would occasionally put power back into the grid... Even at, say 120 volts it may not multiply/step up the way the grid system steps down, but I'm still putting a watt of power in that the utility doesn't have to supply to someone on the part of the grid at the same level of power that is provided to me...

SeewhatImean...
Old 03-09-2015, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

IMO..

I dunno what the power company is whinin' about. They have enough of the population that would never cut the umbilical cord or mess with silly solar panels. Then you have the very few that wanna feel good and "Think" they are helping the environment by pumping power back into the grid. The small percentage that put panels on their roofs are still connected and can't function without it!

To me, there's no in between. You're either connected or you're not! I chose not to connect and I'll never regret it..

There's a "Few" luxuries I don't have but I could have them if I simply invested the money. I don't mind. I don't have to deal with the propaganda or the politics..
*Robert Frost*
Old 03-09-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
.....but I'm still putting a watt of power in that the utility doesn't have to supply to someone on the part of the grid at the same level of power that is provided to me...

SeewhatImean...
No, Chrisser has it right:

-- think of the electricity as flowing water, with a bunch of it evaporating along the way. The power company has to produce, say, 2 gallons in order for you to get 1 gallon at your house. Now you produce an extra 1/2 gal and pour it back into the pipe, but by the time it gets anywhere to be used, it's evaporated to 1/4 gal, but the company is supposed to pay you for the 1/2 gal.

Not to mention, the power co is producing millions of gallons and can't really "cut back" by 1/2 gal when you pour in your measly 1/2 gal.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

The power company still needs to supply the demand, regardless of the small amount that a few "Feel Gooders" are adding. (a drop in the ocean) The demand changes from day to day so the amount of energy added by a few panels on a roof ain't gonna make a huge difference. It's just a bunch of bologna..

Let's not forget the fact that solar doesn't make any power during the night..
*Robert Frost*
Old 03-09-2015, 02:41 PM

I don't see in the article where the complaint is about the cost of the electricity being supplied to the grid from solar customers. The utilities are worried about declining retail sales.

Quote:
If demand for residential solar continued to soar, traditional utilities could soon face serious problems, from “declining retail sales” and a “loss of customers” to “potential obsolescence,” according to a presentation prepared for the group. “Industry must prepare an action plan to address the challenges,” it said.
The analogy is made to land line telephones vs cellular phones. If everyone switches to cellular, who pays for the landlines?

Also the article, discusses the inversion of the usually pro solar progressives and the pro fossil fuel conservatives. Residential solar is creating energy independence and individual control over their own energy needs. Progressives oppose this independence. The progressives want everyone to participate in public energy which can be controlled by government bureaucrats and the costs 'fairly' redistributed ( poor pay less, rich pay more schemes). Conservatives want to protect individual rights to independence and self sufficiency.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
I don't see in the article where the complaint is about the cost of the electricity being supplied to the grid from solar customers. The utilities are worried about declining retail sales.

Solar only accounts for 0.8% of US electricity production. The power companies don't feel any threat. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renewab..._United_States

The program to sell excess production back to the company is a boondoggle meant to appease the TreeHuggers. Most private solar arrays aren't big enuff to supply the needs of their owners, often those unwilling to make any sacrifices in usage for conservation's sake.

Those like 12vman are in special situations not amenable to hooking back up to the grid anyways. That's a major reason they went solar in the first place.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:10 AM

I keep bouncing between Inter-tied / net-metered and Independent / self-contained, but every time I think about having to rely on the honesty and integrity of corporate America I just want to run screaming for the hills!!
Old 05-20-2015, 08:13 AM

To me, there's only two reasons to consider going "off-grid." [a] because you're so far off-grid that it's cost prohibitive to connect, or[2] for the sake of reliability of power supply, anticipating some extended disruption of service of the grid.

Many of those who have installed alternative power sources are those who are trying to ease guilty consciences- the "Do-Gooders," as 12vman calls them. They're kidding themselves as to the supposed benefits to the environment, and willing to pay 3x the cost for their power. They're buying absolution for a non-existent sin.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:42 AM

From the article:
"There is a grid that everyone relies on, and you have to pay for that grid and pay for that infrastructure.”
That is HOGWASH.
I work for an electrical engineering company and our clients ARE ...the grid, or rather, the companies that own it. There's a constant battle to upgrade it and keep up with demand. The percentage of drop in consumer usage caused by solar power users is smaller than miniscule. Not only that, but the "grid" is not owned by local power companies by law. Transmission of electric power is totally separate from distribution, so any distribution (re, local power company) that's charging extra to solar producers is just using it as an excuse to gouge.

If they tack on that fifty bucks a MONTH to electric bills, more people WILL go with alternative energy only they'll install closed systems and tell their local power company to take a hike.

I hope they do!
Old 05-20-2015, 02:31 PM

Contrary to the vocal pundits of "Globalization" and the like, everyone being connected to everyone else is not only foolish and stupid but suicidal in my book. If "Bob" screws something up hundreds or tens of thousands of miles from me, I don't want to feel or have to deal with it in my backyard as collateral damage from his mistake or stupid move. There are entirely too many stupid and greedy people on this planet for me to trust other folks to do the "right thing" enough not to threaten my part of this planet.

Anyone that controls something you need or that you depend upon to survive...CONTROLS YOU!!

No thank you.

Judging humanity on even the best of days does nothing to entice me to put my trust in others, in fact exactly the opposite. So to that end, if I can, I will produce as much of the materials and "things" I need to live within my comfort zone on my own. I will join in the local community of like minded individuals and I will support those ideals, but trust in distant humans, oligarchic corporations, governments, and people I don't know personally....I don't think so. It's not paranoia....it's just good Common Sense.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:29 AM
Master Pontificator

Bottom line is, it is always about the money. We have it and they want it!
Old 06-20-2015, 03:51 PM

Default Great Article

This is a very sensitive subject to me. I am an Electrical Engineer (BS), and I also have 5.2 kW of renewable energy (solar PV and wind), with Netmetering. I run a surplus every month, and get a check from Mountain View Electric, a rural Utility cooperative, at the end of the year (usually $200-$300).

When I installed my system just 4 years, the Fixed fee part of my statement was $9.99 per month. In the mere 4 years, they have raised the Fixed Fee to $19.99, and then to $29.99. At the same time, they lowered the Usage fees. So in effect, they're penalizing renewable energy customers, and those who conserve, and rewarding the trophy home owner with excessive Megawatt usage. I am subsidizing the wealthy trophy home owner.

I actually called and complained, in a 1 hour discussion, with a representative from Mountain View. He said that the Utility has a new policy, and is trying to recover all non-energy expenditures with the Fixed Fee. This new policy went into effect just a few years after voters approved the mandatory Netmetering law. What a coincidence! I asked him how he would feel, if he pulled up to a gas pump in his car, and was charged $20, before he started pumping. He said, "that's not the same". I told him, "It's exactly the same!".

This is nothing more than political pressure from the coal industry. Mountain View purchases it's electricity from Tri-States Energy which is almost exclusively coal-fired plants. This is typical of what is going on in the US, and the state of residential renewables and netmetering.

From an Electrical Engineering standpoint, there is currently no issue with Netmetering costing the Utility more to maintain. NONE. Maybe there would be, if over 25% of the houses in a residential area had renewables, but this simply is not the case. Actually, solar PVs, are great for Utilities, and all their customers. They typically produce at their peak around 3-4 pm in the summer, just when most consumers are coming home from work and cranking up their air conditioners. Solar PVs are a peak load producer! Peak load usage is the telltale sign of whether or not a Utility needs to build more power plants, and thus passing on those huge expenditures to all of their customers.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Jim. Great to get an experienced opinion on this..

Bottom line is they don't like guys like us. We can maintain without them and they don't like it. They're used to being the "Gods", making us to believe that they are the only game in town. (And pricing things to promote their agenda) Making it tougher for folks like yourself to see it (Grid Tie) as a benefit..

I can understand the pressure from the coal industry but I see it as pressure from power generation in general. (The whole industry!) They don't want to become a "Battery Bank" for night usage. They want it all!

At one time, electrical production was a private industry, developing/expanding along just fine. Then along came the Gooberment and their "Bright" idea.. (Good Read, BTW..)

http://www.windcharger.org/Wind_Charger/Welcome.html

Could you imagine what it would be today? I understand large industry would see a need for huge power but I believe the household scenario would be totally different. Talk about energy efficiency..
*Robert Frost*
Old 06-21-2015, 06:21 PM

Even though my background is electric engineering, and I'm in the business of solving complex problems, I believe in simplicity, when it comes to my home. To me, that was the beauty of Netmetering. If I lived in a very rural area, where I had to pay a huge up-front cost for grid-tie, I would go with a stand-alone battery system.

It's the Corporate greed, and the influence of the ultra wealthy, that bothers me. The little old couple who conserves electricity, by turning off their lights and hanging out their laundry, loses. The wealthy trophy-home owner, who probably sat on the Board who made this decision, comes out way ahead.