BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 06-22-2015, 11:43 PM

Default Greetings from SE Idaho

Howdy All,
New to the forum, long time subscriber to BHM.
The wife and I have a small acreage out near McCammon, Idaho, about 25 miles south of Pocatello. We've lived out here for better than 35 years. Our place could hardly be called our "homestead" as the house was already here when we bought it. In reality, it's not even a "backwoods home," as there's a major north-south interstate highway that passes not over 400 yards from us. But we like it. The neighbors aren't real close, most years we grow a large garden, we have a few fruit trees, and we hunt (mostly mule deer) and fish not 15 minutes from our front door.
Both the wife and I and one of our two daughters are avid hunters and gun enthusiasts. I don't know where I went wrong with our other daughter. Just kidding. I love her just as much. She's just too soft hearted to shoot things, even though her career is a wheel for one of the country's major big game conservation and hunting organizations.
Anyway - I'm happy to be here and I'm looking forward to conversing with and learning from all of you.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:56 AM
Master Pontificator

MtnManJim welcome to the forum. Hope you learn as much as I have.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:28 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

welcome aboard.
Lots of good people and advice here.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:02 PM
Master Pontificator

Nice to meet you MtnManJim! Sounds like you found your little piece of heaven!
Old 07-03-2015, 12:43 PM

Hi MtnManJim,

Welcome aboard. I will be watching out for any posts from you when it comes to gardening. We're in Colorado, so I'd be interested to hear how you guys do it up there in ID. Sounds like I could learn a lot.

All the best!
Phil
Old 07-04-2015, 11:23 PM

Thanks for the warm reception everyone, and I'm happy to meet all of you.

I'm not sure if the climate where you are in Colorado is like the climate here in SE Idaho deathb4disco, but I suspect it's similar. If it is, about the best advise I can give you is get your tomato plants and cucumber plants in the ground about a week before Memorial Day. And keep them covered until about a week after Memorial Day. If you still have green tomatoes on the plants come Labor Day, you'll probably have to cover them again if you want them to ripen before they freeze.

The weather patterns have changed around here in recent years (regardless of what the naysayers claim) but we still count on a hard freeze on Memorial Day weekend, and another hard freeze 3 months later on Labor Day weekend. It makes for a short growing season. My wife, who grew up in San Diego, used to just shake her head in bewilderment when we'd go down there to visit and her relatives would talk about getting there "winter tomato" plants in the ground in February for heck sakes!