BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Homesteading > Your Homestead

Your Homestead Tell and show others with words and pictures how you built or are building your homestead and how you keep things going day-to-day. One thread per member, please.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:00 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Naming the Homestead?

We have never named our place. Never really given it much though, until reading through many of your posts about your places. Many of you have homesteads with names which grab and attract attention.

My Father-in-Law named his farm "Need-Mor!"

Maybe I am not to creative, but the homesteads named here have generated thought about naming our place too. Turkey Creek meanders right beside our property, at one point probably less than three feet from our property, so Turkey something is a beginning. Turkeys have been seen about the premises on numerous occasions, so the name has real merit.

Then Beavers (not the lovely, attractive & vivacious type, but rather the obnoxious & timber damaging variety) attempt to move in and set up house keeping every 3 - 5 years it seems, so Beaver something is another offering.

BCM Paradise is not that stimulation or attention grabbing, but it is at the top of the (my) current proposed list for the present. The original BCM was for Beavers, Copperheads & Moccasins, and the place is a haven for all three, but BCM offers other possibilities too.

For example:
a.) Bums, Crooks & Mutineers,
b.) Blonds Care More,
c.) Buzzards, Crows & Maumets,
d.) Best Cajun Magic,
e.) Bakers, Chefs & Magicians,
f.) Bonds, Contracts & Mortgages &
g.) Possibly Others.

b & d above were really just spur of the moment things, but the others were more serious thoughts. The wife does not appreciate my genious, erh better make that imaginative mind, so BCM probably will not make the final cut, regardless of how brilliant its possibilities are.

In all seriousness folks, how did you arrive at your Homesteads Name?
Old 05-22-2015, 09:09 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Welll... we are rather disorganized, plus we live in a double-wide, so I call our place Foxworthy Manor after the redneck jokes...

You could call your place Fan Dance Farm after the turkeys or Slitherin' Fields after the copperheads...

Or, what do you call the place now, when you are just talking about it? Maybe that would lead to something
Old 05-22-2015, 09:57 PM

Poverty Flats came from a sign/name that my dads brother made for my old man better than 40 years ago. Dad gave it to me for this place.

I happen to like Turkey Creek Farm. I do advocate using a prominent feature. My last place was Crabapple Ranch as there was only 1 tree on my place and it was the only tree for 4 miles in any direction. A lonely old crabapple...

Ted

Last edited by GREEN_ALIEN; 05-22-2015 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:18 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyyarn View Post
Welll... we are rather disorganized, plus we live in a double-wide, so I call our place Foxworthy Manor after the redneck jokes...

You could call your place Fan Dance Farm after the turkeys or Slitherin' Fields after the copperheads...

Or, what do you call the place now, when you are just talking about it? Maybe that would lead to something
I doubt any name will be picked overnight, but your offerings were masterful.

There is nothing wrong with a double-wide, or single wide either, and "Foxworthy Manor" was also a superb choice based on your reasoning.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:58 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN_ALIEN View Post
Poverty Flats came from a sign/name that my dads brother made for my old man better than 40 years ago. Dad gave it to me for this place.

I happen to like Turkey Creek Farm. I do advocate using a prominent feature. My last place was Crabapple Ranch as there was only 1 tree on my place and it was the only tree for 4 miles in any direction. A lonely old crabapple...

Ted
I don't want to knowingly copy anyone's homestead name, but Poverty Flats surely fits. My FIL is deceased and the kids sold his farm, so Need-Mor is no longer in use, but I kinda consider it reserved, perhaps more correctly a preserved name now. Although it would be keeping the name in the family and preserved in a sense, it is not a preference either.

The high ground, roughly 2/3's of the property, consists of a good sandy loam soil, so features in addition to the reptiles & wildlife are Sand, Turkeys (Turkey Creek), and Beavers. The remainder of the property is low and often water logged during the winter and spring. Hense the Water Moccasin and Beaver intrusion.

Turkey Creek Bog & Sand Hill Farm, Turkey Ridge & Beaver Flats and Beavers Swamp along with seven other names are under consideration but none roll off the tongue smoothly as I desire, or are a bit lengthy. I/We are hopeful of something short, catchy and expressive, but so far that expression has eluded us.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:14 AM

Well our sign has read Macys Poverty Flats for better than 40 years. Throw your last name in front and you have your own unique name. I know of a few others.

Ted
Old 05-23-2015, 01:11 AM

How about one of those combined names like 'brangalina' snarky creek sna/snake + rky/turkey.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:21 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by susang View Post
How about one of those combined names like 'brangalina' snarky creek sna/snake + rky/turkey.
Maybe we can do like Lacy J. Dalton said in her song 16TH Avenue:
"Ah, then but one night in some empty room,
Where no curtains ever hung,
Like a miracle some golden words,
Rolled off of someone's tongue."

Maybe we can have a miracle and hear some golden words roll off someone's tongue too. If it doesn't happen, it won't be a disaster. The right combination could do. We're not exactly sure what we are looking for, but we will know & recognize it when we find it (see it/hear it).
Old 05-23-2015, 10:09 AM
Master Pontificator

often a farms name comes from the topographic or geologic features or a historic attribute.

"Sunny" is often a name given a place on a south facing slope, and shady is on a north facing slope.

i call my place either "box alder farm" for the box alders that grew on the rubble (long story) where nothing else would, or "the mosquitto farm" for the back half that frequently gets covered in standing water (swamp) where its a natural condition for mosquitto breeding. i could have named it after the rubble but "DOT Trash heap acres" didn't sound very farm like
Old 05-23-2015, 06:37 PM

I like Snarky Creek 'cause I'm bent that way

Or Snarky Bottom, but that may be too far out...
Old 05-23-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyyarn View Post
I like Snarky Creek 'cause I'm bent that way

Or Snarky Bottom, but that may be too far out...
After I posted snarky I thought pefect for me. We dont live on our land, but when I take the time to print a label for my canning I like tto put a name. Maybe I'll go with 'snarky river' or 'snarky momma'.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:07 PM

Snarky Momma sounds good, especially if you can hot sauce
Old 07-02-2015, 04:24 PM

Thumbs up

My wife likes "Little Kitty Ranch". We have a tiny cat named 'Little Kitty'. She was a woefully underweight, orange stray that came up to our house in Georgia. We thought she was a kitten but it turned out she was just incredibly malnourished, very small and full of parasites. We managed to get her cured of all that and she is a wonderful cat despite her crankiness at times. Anyhoo, I guess you can take anything or idea that is important to you and name your homestead after that.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:42 AM
Master Pontificator

We have expanded the choice of names, but still have not found that "just right" name.

Other names added for consideration are:
1.) Deep Wood Farm,
2.) many cedars grow there, so Cedar Hill Farm,
3.) briars grow thick & fast, so Briar Patch Farm/Retreat,
The next three are all a play on words to one extent or another
4.) located in Northeast Winn County, so East Winn Farm,
5.) also North Winn Farm,
6.) Sand Crain Lodge/Farm, from the soil composition and the original Homesteader of the section from which this small parcel originated was named Crain, many, many years ago.

East Winn is gaining our interest, but we are still exploring all possibilities in the name game.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:21 PM

Our current place is named: Thistle Dew

This is the house we bought after searching for 7 months and we were so desperate to buy something that was pretty much the sentiment ... this will do.

The place before that was "Penny's From Heaven" which is named after our dog, Penny.

Before that was "Come On Inn" because it seemed like everyone was staying with us, visiting with us, coming to live with us. I should have installed a revolving door.

The right name will come to you. I'm in favor of Snarky Creek or Snarky Bottom.