BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 06-22-2015, 09:49 PM

Default Rifle for Wife

My wife has finally (I cannot emphasize that word enough) shown an interest in a rifle for her. She has a 22 and 410 but besides a couple times at the range, has shown no interest until now. Maybe it's the new baby but she wants a rifle for her to have around the house when I'm not there as well as to do a little hunting of deer and coyote if they happened to wander too close. She is small, 5' nothing and maybe 100 lbs soaking wet. As I am 6'6" my guns will not fit her and she doesn't seem to like the youth rifles we have test fit at gun shops. I am leaning toward a lever in .44 mag or .357 mag. I started out hunting with one of these and it combines enough power to put down deer at reasonable ranges with very light recoil but I can't seem to find one in a short enough rifle. Anyone know of anything along these lines in production?
Old 06-22-2015, 10:08 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

You have probably already checked out the Henry Rifle line.
If you call them they might be able to mount a shorter stock on one of their big boy models.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:23 PM

I have looked at them yes. That as well as Rossi and Marlin. I will see if I can get a hold of them, worst they can say is no.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:12 AM

Default not an unusual problem

My wife is 5'1" and our hunting enthusiast daughter is no bigger. With the one exception of the little Henry "American Beauty" .22 rifle I bought for my wife as a retirement gift this year, she's never had a rifle or shotgun that she didn't have to have a gunsmith cut down to fit her. And she's been a hunter since she married me, 44 years ago.
It seems to me that gun companies build guns to fit men, figuring they can always be cut down if women want to use them. And fit is SO important! It's almost unbelievable how much a proper fitting rifle or shotgun dampens recoil.
At any rate, my advise is to find a gunsmith who knows what he's doing and have whatever rifle you select custom fitted to your wife. Of course, I don't know where you live. Where we live, gunsmiths are fairly easy to find and we've been into hunting and guns for so many years, we know who the good ones are.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:30 AM

Yes, I know a good one. All mine have to be made longer to accommodate me. When our kids sell off the gun cabinet not a single one is going to fit a normal person...
Old 06-23-2015, 04:38 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

.243 Bolt

Light shooting, versatile for varmint to deer.

This is what my future SIL uses for deer here in MN. She's a small frame girl.

It has been a very good rifle for her, and she's taken down some very nice deer with it.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:16 PM

I have a 243 bolt I use for me personally. It is not the caliber I have a problem with, I have killed many deer, coyote and prairie dog with it. She just want's a lever gun...
Old 06-23-2015, 01:47 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejeep92 View Post
She just want's a lever gun...
If she wants a lever gun, by all means, get her what she wants.

The Browning BLR {Browning Lever Rifle} is chambered in .243 should she want a little more versatility, range & power over the typical lever guns choice in calibers.

You & she probably need to go where she can look at the various offerings and then began the selection process, after some hands on experience.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:26 PM

My daughter shoots my Marlin 30.30 with no issues. Short barrel makes it easy to wield particularly in brush.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:34 PM

Just to follow up, I ended up selecting a Marlin 336. The 336 is available in a youth model but even the youth model would need to be chopped down an inch so I went with a full size to be cut down to a 12" LOP. I don't own a 30-30 for my self currently, don't know how that slipped through the cracks, but the ammo is cheap enough and once I get some brass built up I can start loading.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:21 PM
Master Pontificator

The Marlin 336 is a fine little rifle. Everyone should have at least one .30-.30 rifle. I have always preferred the Marlin lever action rifles over the Winchester, because of the solid top and side ejection, providing a better platform on which to mount a scope with less interference from ejected brass.

However there are always compromises when comparing products from different manufacturers. The partial "falling block" leverage system on the Winchester does produce a shorter lever swing than the Marlin rifles have.

Once the stock is modified by a pro to fit your wife, hopefully she will have a very beautiful and accurate rifle she will enjoy for many years to come.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:14 AM

Default Small center fire

243 bolt youth rifle in a savage or another flavor.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:56 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowderbill View Post
243 bolt youth rifle in a savage or another flavor.
They have already made their decision on a Marlin 336 in a Youth Model, but it will still need alteration!