BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Firearms/Weapons

Firearms/Weapons Firearms or other weapons issues that do not have a dedicated board.
PLEASE NOTE: These boards are for discussion only. Offers to buy, sell, or trade anything are prohibited.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:29 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Range Stories

When posting on Essays' weapons systems thread, I was reminded of some of the activity that I would see at an outdoor range where I was an RSO for awhile. Thought I would share a story for fun, and see what other stories may be out there.

One instance, which was the straw that broke the back, was with a Grandfather and a young boy. Initially, was very happy to see those two there. Wonderful thing, seeing that. It turned sour very quickly. The grandfather would load up a .22lr, rapid fire a dozen shots, reload, and do the same. Started having the kid follow his example. Whatever, not my style, but then the Grandfather started to shoot directly at the target support structure.

Pretty soon I saw that he was working on those wood beams like an insane woodpecker. I politely asked him to step aside for a word, not wanting to dress him down in front of the kid. I asked him to focus on shooting the targets versus the structure. I explained that shooting the structure would result in having volunteers come out and rebuild it and the range paying for new lumber. He freaked out, started calling me names, and stormed off to the range hall. I went into the hall at the close of the range to have a beer and shoot the shit a bit, and was told that he was so upset that the management gave him a season pass for the range.

So that was the end of my RSO days.......
Old 04-28-2015, 11:39 AM

lol! Sounds about right.

As a new LT I had to run a grenade range. We put 1500 people through it (a Brigade) and you'd be amazed some of the characters that came through. One lady barely got her frag over the blast berm (explosion showered my guys with stuff), a couple of people froze up AFTER they had pulled the pin, and one senior officer got mighty upset when one of my "pit safeties" tackled him because he STOOD UP to watch the explosion.

If I could have quit I would have after that experience.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:44 PM

I was a rifle range coach at Camp Lejeune in '79/80. Only caught one safety violator. It was a sergeant that walked off of the firing line still locked and loaded. The magazine was out, but the bolt was home and the dust cover was open- that's how I noticed it. He got kicked off of the range. That's tough for an NCO to happen to them come promotion time. I felt bad for him at the time, but I got over it. There's nothing like going to a Marine Corps rifle range- shooting is like a religion to them. And the range is their church.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:10 PM

Took my BIL to the range.
He is an experienced shooter and owns several semi auto pistols.
I saw him walking around with his 1911 pointed all over the place including my way.
I told him to point it down range and he said don't worry it's not loaded.
Then showed me there wasn't a mag in it.
I told him I didn't care, point it down range.
He did and then pulled the trigger to prove his point.
The look on his face was pure shock when it went off.
We left the range and I never took him again.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backlash View Post
Took my BIL to the range.
He is an experienced shooter and owns several semi auto pistols.
I saw him walking around with his 1911 pointed all over the place including my way.
I told him to point it down range and he said don't worry it's not loaded.
Then showed me there wasn't a mag in it.
I told him I didn't care, point it down range.
He did and then pulled the trigger to prove his point.
The look on his face was pure shock when it went off.
We left the range and I never took him again.
Yeah, its annoying and unnerving when people are waving pistols around hither and yon.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:02 PM

Was at the club I belong to one day with one of my boys. We were at the muzzleloader range preparing to shoot. An old man who was there came over to me and abruptly started grilling me on where my ID tag was. I showed him it was attached to my shooting bag. He ripped me up and down for it not being on my person. I reminded him of the bylaw that stated the badge need only be displayed. Nothing is mentioned as to where. I then asked him who he was and why he had not even identified himself. He turned out to be a trustee of the club. Later that day I lodged a formal complaint against the guy for his rude and lack of professional behavior. I got a call from the vice president of the club who apologized profusely and said he'd have a talk with this gentleman. All I can say is had my son not been with me that day I really would have lost it on that old fart. I joined a club to be rid of idiots and the good ole boy cliques and don't need that kind of hassle. I vowed that if it happens again I'm not going to be so friendly next time.

I just don't understand why some people who are entrusted with a little authority, allow it to go to their heads.

Last edited by Nickathome; 05-26-2015 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:40 PM

On Mother's day I took the whole family to the range. We shot some tannerite w/223's. Man, what a concussion! It shook my guts.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:46 PM

My latest was when I went to a local range, and while the range was hot placed all my guns and gear on the bench firing line, and got things ready to go. The guy near me had the "Operator" look and was officiously showing a college age girl how to shoot. He looked over at me and gruffly told me that I had violated range rules, and should have waited for a ceasefire to load my guns and ammo on the bench. (really, with people down range checking targets!?!). Son was very angry but I said nothing and went ahead and set up targets.

When the range went hot "Mr. Operator" was shooting an AK and an AR, and was tickled pink to get one shot, one inch groups at 50 yds. No, that ain't a typo, one shot, one inch groups at 50 yds. Son liked to died laughing.

After all was over, I went to the range shack, explained what happened, and asked what was expected in the future as their "Range Master" didn't like the way I operated. The guy looked funny and told me I did exactly right and that this non-employee busybody was full of it.

Another time, a young guy was firing his pet .44 Mag. reload of 21 grains of Unique under a 240 gr. SP. Every six rounds he had to tighten all visible screws as this load was shaking them lose. I cleared out so that revolving grenade wouldn't detonate along side me.

jim
Old 08-09-2015, 11:06 PM

... more common than not, those stories. That is why I am so very happy that I can hear shots fired at a very little used self-serve range not far from my property.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:34 PM

I used to frequent a free rifle range ( its not free anymore) about an hours drive from my home. If was a nice range in a nice rural area and I liked the drive there as much as the shooting. Only problem with that place was the multitude of people who went there who were clueless as to the rules of the range as well as with gun safety. Saw a guy step onto a hot range to hang targets who was impatient. He yelled "clear" and proceeded to walk downrange, without waiting for the shooting to cease. I guess just the simple "clear" in his mind meant stop. He was abruptly reprimanded by the whole crowd.

Then there was the time I was sighting through my scope and about to fire when a brown blur in the bottom third of the lens made me look up. Some Indian looking man was there a couple tables over and his kids were running under the fronts of all the tables from one end of the line to the other. Lucky they were short. My heart almost stopped at the thought of what could have happened. You never heard so many upset people. Incidents like those made me quit going to that range . Wasn't about to see a tragedy happen or get caught up in one. So I never went back there.