BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals > Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control

Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control Please...no posts about Barney, Kermit, Miss Piggie, etc.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:35 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default "The Lion Hunt"...

http://news.yahoo.com/dentist-killed...155353279.html
==
Here is one of many articles, and local news stories, there is a lot being said about this incident...

The short version of several articles I have read say this was a hunter who hired in good faith a guide and land owner who took advantage of this animal to make a big sale of there services...
--
Now the uproar as would be expected over an issue like this... Again, short answer by the very few biologist that I have seen interviewed say much the same... Yes, lions are a species that needs close supervision.. Many details make this so.. Habitat encroachment, weather, changes in human populations, how lion prey animals are managed, you name it... A lot of details that go into this...

Now biologist and conservationist know that well managed hunting is a valuable tool in managing a species numbers according to the local habitat these animals share... Out right poachers, and unscrupulous guides or anyone like that are a threat to any animal species...

But like so many things.. Lions, wolves in US states, you name it.. A major danger to any species is the preservation organizations and individuals who are thinking and demonstrating with there emotions and usually not scientific knowledge to back there most times very ridged demands...

They may think of themselves as conservationist, but act much more toward the Webster definition of preservationist than conservationist... There is a BIG difference in the terms.. KnowwhatImean...

I'm not good at analog's... But if someone wants to drive a Volvo, that is fine with me.. I don't choose to use a Volvo, but my favorite is Dodge.. Now if someone else tries to make it so I can't have a Dodge, I'm going to be upset with them...

Facts, details, thoughts ??
Old 07-30-2015, 07:19 AM

My understanding of this is that he (or his guides) lured this animal from a protected environment into an area where it could be killed. I don't know if he used a crossbow or a compound bow (I don't think the reporters realize there is a difference. I have heard his weapon referred to both as a crossbow and as a "bow and arrow"). He wounded the animal, then had to track it for some time (I have heard reports of anywhere from 3 hours to 40+ hours-I don't know what is correct, but I think the 3 hour report is probably right) when it had to be shot with a rifle to end its misery.

I don't think the hunting per se is the issue, but rather the fact that he was an alpha, iconic animal that drew lots of tourists to the preserve, and that deceptive measures were used to draw the animal away from the preserve. Some folks also have issues with using archery to kill an animal of that size. Also, the cubs he sired will now be killed by the former beta male, which sets the breeding program back a full year.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:25 AM

The guy was either legal or illegal with his hunting practices. Who really knows what the true story is.

But the guy seems to have a history of bending or not following legal hunting laws. Assuming that his taking of a bear outside of the legal limits in Wi, then registering it as legal - that's not right.

If the group truly attempted to destroy the gps collar, that would make one assume that they recognized they took the lion illegally.

Personally, I think this guy is a scum bag that will bend the rules to bag what he wants to bag. Put it on the wall, and talk big crap.

I don't think he's innocent, I think he is a wanna be big dollar hunter that has no respect for the true nature of hunting.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:14 AM

One of the most meaningful "Far Side" cartoons I remember is of the bear hunter.

I can sort of understand the big game hunt mentality but it loses a lot when it's more like entrapment.

Things I've heard:
The dentist thought it was a legal hunt.

The lion has several cubs which will likely be killed by another male in the pride so that he can replace them with his own offspring.

I don't know much more than that but it does bug me that this is getting more media attention than the discovery that Planned Parenthood sells body parts.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:09 PM

I now read that the "guides" strapped a dead animal to the hood of their car and drove around the preserve to lure the lion out of protection. It is against the laws of Zimbabwe and carries a maximum 15-year prison sentence from what I read. Kachad is correct; this guy has been in trouble before and probably knew exactly what he and his guides were doing.

I agree that is unfortunate that this is getting more attention than the Planned Parenthood scandal, but that is probably by design--the media are using the lion story to get the planned Parenthood story off the minds of the public.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:38 PM

AH, the main stream media--all fluff, no substance--all of the time.

JVC
Old 07-30-2015, 11:35 PM
Master Pontificator

From the pictures that I've seen, the GPS collar was pretty visible. He had to know he was hunting a collared lion, if you can call luring a collared lion off of a preserve hunting. I don't. I hope he and the guides are convicted and get the maximum sentence.

And before anyone grumbles, I'm not anti hunting although I personally don't hunt, I do open my land to those who do, responsibly!
Old 07-31-2015, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhilton View Post
One of the most meaningful "Far Side" cartoons I remember is of the bear hunter.

I can sort of understand the big game hunt mentality but it loses a lot when it's more like entrapment.

Things I've heard:
The dentist thought it was a legal hunt.

The lion has several cubs which will likely be killed by another male in the pride so that he can replace them with his own offspring.

I don't know much more than that but it does bug me that this is getting more media attention than the discovery that Planned Parenthood sells body parts.

I thought the bear cartoon was going to have a guy hunting over jelly doughnuts. That's what they use here in MN.

All fair and game if you're hunting over a waterhole, in my eye!
Old 07-31-2015, 04:37 AM

I read an article today interviewing Citizens of Zimbabwe and what they thought about the matter.

According to the feedback from the article, most didn't recognize the name of the lion, said lions are killed every day, and that they had a lot of other stuff to worry about .. like trying to find a meal for the day, finding medical care, and all that minor stuff.

I still think the dude is probably scum, but it was an interesting read.

Also, I agree - the PP story sure didn't seem to stay long in the media, less public outcry than expected, and this will probably hold attention span for longer than that. Shameful.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:08 AM

The more that is said, this guy is not good at making good choices in the people he deals with... Was he looking for a hunt on the cheap ?? At $50 thou it doesn't sound cheap, but as things like that go, it may not be that an expensive of a hunt..

It also seems the landowner and guide may not have a squeaky clean past..
To have taken the animal out side of the boundaries of the protected area is not a crime in it's self.. Animals don't usually observe political drawn boundaries.. How the radio collar was handled wasn't good... Most all places have a procedure for handling a collar or tag from an animal legally eligible for harvest and legally harvested...

There were a lot of poor choices made here..
---
In the comments about this incident I have read some also include the fact that there are demonstrations all over the country about this... And even headlines that the White House will/could/may get involved....

But it is a bottom of the page head line about the family murdered in Montana by a man broke down alongside the road they stopped to help... The thought being why is nothing being said about the lion incident and virtually nothing about this tragedy... ??

My 2 cents..
Old 08-01-2015, 02:23 AM

Here if a guy drives a getaway car where a murder takes place the driver is equally guilty whether he knew about the murder or not ,

This guy does not deserve a pass , he is equally guilty.

Last edited by MissouriFree; 08-01-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:20 PM

Here if a guy drives a getaway car where a murder takes place the driver is equally guilty whether he knew about the murder or not....... Yes.. Very true.. When comparing apples to apples...
Except.. These are apples and oranges issues.. Says my 2 cents...
--
Now.... Is he 10%-50%-90%...... Or 0% responsible in the total plot ??
Yet to be determined... But if found with any % of responsibility.. Yes he should get what he deserves....

Again my 2 cents..
---
The scientific data from biologist says that when a "territory" of an animal is vacated, another animal will eventually fill that territory... I'm sure this animal provided good data about how the animals lived in that habitat... It may take some time for another animal to take up a permanent residence in that territory... And the shape of that last animals territory will change according to the movements of surrounding animals... But a change of individual animals in a given territory will provide a different prospective on how animals cope in a given habitat... Not all is lost here from that prospective... Seen it with other carnivores and omnivores, but maybe not with as big an area of habitat as these particular animals cover...
SeewhatImean....
Old 08-03-2015, 02:22 PM

Why is he hiding ?
Old 08-14-2015, 04:10 PM

He is in hiding because he knows he is guilty of killing this lion illegally. I don't hunt but I can understand hunting and using this for food. But... to kill any animal just to be able to brag about it and put the head on a wall... well that shows that the person either has to big a ego or lacks self confidence in themselves....My pennys worth