BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Food > Beverage Making

Beverage Making Beer, wine, mead, soda, cider, spirits, cordials, etc.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:34 PM

Default Kombucha

Has anyone ever brewed Kombucha? I am thinking about getting into it and am wondering how easy it is and anything that I should watch out for when fermenting it?
Old 01-29-2014, 08:41 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

oh my gosh, my mother made it, that was 30 years ago. I can't remember details, but it was easy. Please report when you find out something.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:39 PM

So I just made the first batch with a mother I received from a friend. I used English breakfast tea as the tea and organic sugar to feed the SCOBY. I didn't let this batch ferment long enough though so it tasted like sweet tea with the ever so tiniest bite. Barely any Kombucha flavor in it. I have started the next batch and it is brewing now hopefully it will be a better batch.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:43 PM

Used to brew it when I lived in Panama, very easy but you have to have the mother. No way that I could figure out how to get the mother I had to the US. Haven't seen or found any since.

Put mother/ host into clean jar with a tea you like. Just keep putting some of the old mother into a new batch before you need to be drinking it. Glass jar seemed to work best.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:43 PM

Yeah if you are looking for mothers you can order them online.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:36 AM

Default Bumping this post up

Just for my sake and being new to making Kombucha I am learning as I go. The only thing to successful Kombucha making is to not kill or starve the SCOBY. Use caution with herbal teas that have anti bacterial properties as they can weaken the SCOBY. I use half black and half green tea in mine and organic sugar. I dont like the really sour taste so dont ferment mine as long. Am gonna be dividing mine soon to share with a couple friends. So when I have more available I will try to remember to post and share extras.

Have a great day!

stella
Old 01-25-2015, 04:56 PM

I've let my kombucha brew for over a week now and it's made a baby but the drink it's self is not very vinegary. The scobe looks good though. No mold, no funky smell. I'll let it go a little longer as we keep it pretty cool in the house and it may take a bit longer do develope.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:35 PM

Interesting that I stumbled onto this thread today. I was given a recipe to ferment tea, which is then used to make kombucha, it uses fresh tea leaves, which are boile until fragrant and just barely wilted. About 3 to 5 minutes. It is then stuffed into a bamboo or other container, sealed with a banana leaf and sealed air tight with clay. Bury it for a year to 5 years. Dig up and open carefully without pushing the clay too deep. This is then used in place of tea bags, 2 tablespoons to the gallon, 1 cup sugar, 14 cups water. Proceed as you normally would. It's a Vietnamese recipe. Never tried it as the recipe just came to me via my nurse who saw me for stomach flu.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:14 AM

This doesn't really sound like kombucha, but it certainly is interesting. I know kombucha likes an aerobic fermentation so it needs access to air. Your recipe for the fermented tea concentrate most certainly has different bacteria strains than a kombucha SCOBY.

As far as fermentation time goes this is purely set to by your preference to taste. The longer you let it go the more bitter and vinegary it will become. I've read that you should let it go at least a week though in order to keep the culture string and to begin to get some of the health benefits of kombucha.