BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on

Hands-on Hands-on/Repair topics that do not have a dedicated board, above.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:27 PM

Default Water pressure..or lack there of

Okay, here it goes.

Live on a lake and have a shallow point well. Pressure has never been that good but now it is intermittently cutting down terribly low. When no water is running the gauge on top of the pump seems to hold right where it is. The bladder tank sounds hollow and air comes out of the valve stem on top.

The pump sounds to me a little off when it's running I don't know if it is possibly cavitation or what. Also 2 years ago an alarm went off in my well put and the plumer say it was to a water softener that had been bi passed. As I'm crawling around in there today I see one pipe has a bipass switch triggered but the remaining an only other line goes into the water softener unit and its bi pass switch is not triggered.

There is a smaller inline sedimet filter I have change and the water seems some better but still low I'm thinking plugged foot valve or something with this filtration system thT hasn't been touched in two years is causing my problem. What says you?
Old 08-08-2015, 08:42 PM

2 years back that plumber just unplugged that softner and left. I never looked down in the well pit till now and it doesnt seem that couldve been good to me i dont care about the hard water i just want a shower haha.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:38 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Shut off the power to the pump and bleed all the pressure off the system

Then check the pressure reading at the air valve on top of the tank.

It should read 2 lbs less than the turn on setting on the pressure switch.

There should be a plate on the switch that gives the hi-low pressures

While it's off, check the water line going to the pressure switch and gauge for debris, and check the condition of the points in the switch

Adjust as needed and then restart the pump to see if there is an improvement.

It may need priming to restart, and then should build up to the proper pressure before cutting off
Old 08-11-2015, 09:10 AM
Grand Master Pontificator
Super Moderator

Quote..
"Pressure has never been that good but now it is intermittently cutting down terribly low. When no water is running the gauge on top of the pump seems to hold right where it is."

Is it a "pressure" issue or a "flow" issue to the house? Does the pressure reading drop very low while using water in the house or is the pressure staying near normal at the gauge in the well pit? Do you have a spigot in the well pit to test flow at that end?
*Robert Frost*
Old 08-17-2015, 12:07 PM

Turns out the bladder tank was junk. I put a new one in now I have constant water pressure although it's a tad low. As far as adjusting it I don't see a pressure switch on anything like the pictures and diagrams I see. It's an older pump maybe built in? I would like to crank it up just a little.

Thank you for the pointers