BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals > Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control

Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control Please...no posts about Barney, Kermit, Miss Piggie, etc.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:59 AM

Question Something's Eating My Tomatoes

We decided to let our tomatoes "sprawl" this year in lieu of staking and something is eating ripening and green tomatoes. Although we have a fence around the garden it seems a small animal is taking a bite out of one tomato and moving on to the next. The varmint also eats cucumbers.

The tomatoes look like the insides have been eaten out and the shell/skin of the tomato is left. I'm harvesting green tomatoes because the ones ripening are bit into or eaten out.

Anyone have any ideas as to what is going on. Other posts on the Net suggest squirrels but we haven't seen any. What a waste of a good crop of tomatoes! Linda
Old 08-15-2014, 12:31 PM
Administrator

My first thought was squirrels, but they tend to eat flesh and all, though only enough to ruin the fruit. Then I thought I remembered my father having trouble with birds ravaging his garden and found this online:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...3095011.html?7

If they are your problem, too, can you station a cat in the garden?

Or maybe try hanging streamers or aluminum pie plates or anything over the patch to scare away the birds.

Good luck!
Old 08-20-2015, 02:26 PM

My money is on you having a Vole problem. Voles look like a cross between a mole and a large mouse. The little suckers leave little trenches everywhere. Look for these little runways and you've got your answer. The good news is they usually only go for the low hanging fruit so to speak. At least they did in our garden. I put out some baited mouse traps and that ended the problem after a few days.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:46 PM

If all else fails....fried green tomatoes.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:24 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Could be voles, and as Nick said, traps will help with that problem. We have had similar problems with birds being the culprits (magpies being the problem here). It is illegal to shoot the buggers since they are covered by a "migratory bird treaty", so netting was the best solution. They attack most often when things are really dry, and they destroy everything from tomatoes to apples and squash.