BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 07-17-2015, 12:56 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default The Sourdough Starter That Ate Dallas

Wow! I don't know what was/is going on but my sourdough starter started going crazy. I'd take out a cup of starter and put in one cup of flour and 3/4 cup of water. I have been keeping it in a quart container for about a year wth no issues. If I was going to use it I'd bring it out of the fridge and feed it for a day or three. All of a sudden it was over flowing the jar....big time. I had to put it into a half gallon jar and it would come up to the 3/4 mark after being fed.

Is it attracting a supper yeast out of the air?
Old 07-17-2015, 11:50 AM

Like you said... I also suspect a different strain of yeast... That also fed off the unused existing food in your starter to cause the overflow ??
But then what do I know....

Combine with Giant Killer Tomatoes and it's a pizza party...

Good luck...
Old 07-17-2015, 07:40 PM

Wyo, the starer is over a year old and this is the first time it's acted this way.
Reminds me of The Little House of Horrors.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:03 PM

Did you feed it a different kind of flour? I usually feed regular unbleached flour, but when I feed whole wheat flour, the starter has a party!

Does yours still smell OK?
Old 07-18-2015, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyyarn View Post
Did you feed it a different kind of flour? I usually feed regular unbleached flour, but when I feed whole wheat flour, the starter has a party!

Nope. Same filtered water and same unbleached all purpose flour. Still smells fine and I made a 3 day artisian ww/rye/spelt loaf the other day. It was beautiful.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarksLady View Post
Nope. Same filtered water and same unbleached all purpose flour. Still smells fine and I made a 3 day artisian ww/rye/spelt loaf the other day. It was beautiful.

I guess it is one of those mysteries...
Old 07-19-2015, 12:50 AM

I found a sourdough recipe for hamburger buns today that calles for 2 C. of starter. That is a lot! My pot had about 2 &3/4 C. of starter. So I used the 2 cups then fed and put the sponge in the fridge after about a hour so it's good.

BTW, by the time I was ready to put the freshly fed starter in the fridge the pot was 3/4 full! It's a quart pot!!!
Old 09-08-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyyarn View Post

Howdy Rubyyarn and OzarksLady,
I'm new to sourdough - I've only been at it a couple of months. But just last night and again this morning I had a couple of experiences similar to OzarksLady.
We'd been away for the long weekend, so when we got home yesterday afternoon, I took my starter out of the fridge, discarded a cup of it, and fed it with one cup of flour and about 3/4 cup of water before putting it back in the fridge. When I got back in the fridge to get myself a beer 3 or 4 hours later, WHAT A MESS!
So, I cleaned up the mess, stirred down the starter, and discarded about 3/4 cup of it. I then left the starter sitting out on the kitchen counter so that it would be ready for a batch of biscuits this morning.
The mess on the counter this morning was easier to clean up than the one in the fridge, but it was still a mess. The biscuits are good though.
Anyway, the only thing I can figure is when I fed my starter yesterday, I used a cup of non-bromated (unbleached of course) flour that I picked up a bag of while we were on our trip. I don't remember what brand it was. I just learned about non-bromated flour last week, and thought I'd give it a try. I'd just been using store-brand unbleached flour before.
So anyway, do you think it was the fact that the flour was non-bromated, of just that it was a different brand of flour that caused my starter to go nuts? I'm not complaining, I just have to learn to leave more room in my jar for my very active starter because my wife is kind of one-way about that sort of thing - she said; "It's YOUR sourdough, YOU clean it up!"

Last edited by MtnManJim; 09-08-2015 at 11:31 PM. Reason: typo