BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 08-25-2015, 07:27 PM

Default From NOLA to Ozarks... and really shy

Hi everybody. My name is Nicole. I grew up near New Orleans and have lived there my entire life....until now. In May, my husband and I bought 25+ acres in the Ozark Mountains. He knows what he's doing having grown up in rural Virginia, but I have never done this before. So everything is new to me. I absolutely love the area, love my land, and value all that it provides us. I'm excited to learn about living in the country and learn from others experiences. I'm also excited in meeting virtual friends who can mentor me in rearing my children in a country setting.

So, if there's something you'd like to know about me, all you have to do is ask.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to positive encounters.

Last edited by smittenkitten; 08-26-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:37 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Welcome to the forum, Nicole! Lots of nice people here who will be glad to share knowledge. I think there are several from your (new) neck of the woods in the Ozarks. Start thinking about gardens and such--probably for next spring--and start planning for any livestock you plan to acquire. Start small in all things, especially if you are new to the lifestyle and the area in which you live.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:09 PM

Welcome, Nicole. Glad you are here.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:17 AM
Master Pontificator

Congratulations on your new move! Nicole I hope you enjoy the forum, I know you will.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninalaska View Post
Welcome to the forum, Nicole! Lots of nice people here who will be glad to share knowledge. I think there are several from your (new) neck of the woods in the Ozarks. Start thinking about gardens and such--probably for next spring--and start planning for any livestock you plan to acquire. Start small in all things, especially if you are new to the lifestyle and the area in which you live.
Thanks for that advice. Since moving in, I've planted four tomato plants, two yellow squash, and two zucchini plants. On the corners of my garden are two rosemary bushes. I've got plenty of yield so far, except the tomatoes...deer have helped themselves. I don't plan to acquire any livestock because my family travels too often to keep any animals at all.

One project I do want to look in to is deepening our existing pond or creating a new, much larger body of water in a low lying area of the land. All I need to do is dam up the side of the area that drains toward our house. This project is a long way off but planning (dreaming) is already underway.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildapple View Post
Welcome, Nicole. Glad you are here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciderman View Post
Congratulations on your new move! Nicole I hope you enjoy the forum, I know you will.
Thank you so much for the welcome! I hope to make many new friends and enjoy my experience here.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:42 PM
Master Pontificator

Welcome Nicole! You're going to love living in the country. It is the best place for raising kids. It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. I'm sure if you have questions someone here will be able/willing to offer helpful advice.

Enjoy the forum!
Old 09-04-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryMom22 View Post
Welcome Nicole! You're going to love living in the country. It is the best place for raising kids. It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. I'm sure if you have questions someone here will be able/willing to offer helpful advice.

Enjoy the forum!
Thank you so much! So far I've only spent a total of 2 1/2 weeks at home and I can't wait to get back. I miss it so much every time we leave. Around Christmas we'll have two whole solid weeks to spend at home and I simply can't wait!
Old 09-11-2015, 02:32 PM

Welcome...
I guess the best advice I've heard given a "newby" as it were, is to take your time and learn as you go.. Remember many have seen it all and done it all... But the lesson is not all at the same time...

One of my favorite saying is.. You can't eat the whole elephant at one meal, take your time..

Enjoy..
Old 09-12-2015, 04:26 PM

Welcome aboard ...you could not have picked a better state to be free of govt regulations telling what you can and can't do. It's a great state. If you're in the country no permits to worry about.

Mo
Smack on middle of Missouri in Phelps county woods.