BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Homesteading > Your Homestead

Your Homestead Tell and show others with words and pictures how you built or are building your homestead and how you keep things going day-to-day. One thread per member, please.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:28 PM

Here is a short video for ya.

https://youtu.be/Wb6oqxX4VrQ

Ted
Old 06-19-2015, 10:49 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN_ALIEN View Post

Ted
Thanks for that!

I've lived around the Amish most of my life and always love to watch them work. This guy has his team trained well - got them to back up and realign with ease.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:39 AM

Frank and Fritz are great animals. We unhitched them yesterday and they just stood there waiting. A few minutes later a "Drink" command was given and they both walked to the water and drank. Although unhooked from the implement and each other, they continued to move as one unit.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:35 PM

That's so neat - shows what one can do when the time is spent with them.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:54 PM

Well, the hay is finally in bales less about a half an acre due to breaking the last shear bolt. I did take over the operation from the horse team... They were outworking the baler. I hitched up the old H, dropped her in low and chugged aound the field.

8 acres, 731 bales @ 65 pounds each. Thats about 23 tons give er take.

Ted

Old 06-24-2015, 10:28 AM

"H" to the rescue!
Old 06-25-2015, 10:06 PM

That is so cool. I admire that lifestyle. That's also a pretty good yield of hay. I guess the drought is over.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:50 AM
Master Pontificator

Ted..haven't been on in awhile. .Congratulations on the new bride and the new place. It will certainly keep you busy.looking good!
Old 09-10-2015, 03:40 PM

Default A long summer...

Well now, it has been awhile since I posted an update about the goin' ons here at Poverty Flats...

Let see now, we talked about buying the overgrown place, makin' hay and some Amish chickens already, so I will pick up from there.

Over the summer I managed to mow down, and keep mowed, everything that was overgrown. They yard, the barnyard, around the shop and around the hay barn. It was quite the adventure that finally ended the life of my trusty old John Deere riding mower. The old girl had 11 years and 500 hours of mowing logged at the previous farm and just couldn't take the tall weeds anymore. It was a sad day indeed! Ah, but the next day was a happy one, I brought home a brand spankin' new Cub Cadet XT2, 50", 24HP mower. Wow can this thing mow.

The chicken flock doubled itself and I have to tell you the story of the "Defective Amish Hen".
So I was over visitin' with the Amish feller that wedding gifted me the original rooster, two barred rock hens and ten month old chicks to get me started. (Great marring present!). Anyhow, I lamented that the BR hens just would not go broody and he said that they can be slow on the broody uptake. He offered up one of his generic black hens and said she was a real broody hen.

I get the hen home and the next day one of the barred rock hens is just gone. Lost in the depths of the barn or took off I assumed. Well the lost chicken case went on for a few weeks and then one morning during chores I hear some 'strange' chirpin' coming from behind an old haystack left by the former owners. Now I know the sounds my chickens make and this was not a voice I am familiar with so I investigate.

43 bales later and under an old hidden feed manger, I had my answer. The BR hen that was missing had found a hidey hole and hatched out 13 chicks in her absence.

I drove over to Levis farm and declared the black hen defective and he a con artist. He inquired as to how he was a con artist and I replied the he must be one because he told those barred rock hens to not do anything until I came over and bought another hen. The black hen I might add, has yet to even lay me an egg!

Enough with the stories and back to the farm.

In a past life I did contract bottle calves for a huge dairy. I enjoy bottle calves but not a hundred at a time and not the low pay (.23 a day per/all feed supplied). I decided early on that I wanted to do calves again but this time not only do I want to own them, and their expense..., outright, I also want to take them all the way to butcher weight. To that end I now have a supplier of day old Jersey bull calves and currently have four in pens in the barn.

These Jersey critters are a bit tougher than the Holstein calves. Its like the don't care if the live or not for the first few days. They do well once they start though. I am supposed to get anywhere from one to three a week starting tomorrow, it was spotty for the last month.

Because of the late closing date I was unable to do a garden this year, but I have taken steps for next years garden patch. It is about an half acre and was formerly grass.

I did manage to get the shop floor poured and about a dozen trees logged out around the place. Now that it is starting to cool down it is time to start dragging all of the blow down and other dead trees out of the shelter belts... fun!

Hmmm what else...
Oh yea, the orchard area has been slated and 18 trees ordered for November delivery. I went with 4 mixed apples, 4 mixed peach, 4 mixed pear, 3 mixed cherry and 3 mixed plum. That should give me a well rounded pile of fruit in a few years.

By using cuttings from the old place I managed to make starts for 25 grapes and about 100 raspberries. I did order some blackberries yesterday and still have to move my strawberries over here.

Another Amish friend traded me two complete 5 super bee hives, with frames for an old 'parts' wood cook stove. A few of the supers need repairs but generally all of it is good usable stuff. He has had it in his barn unused for 15 years... pack rat lol.

So that's it other that the mundane stuff. You know, cut trees, work on house, fix fence, chase critters and on and on and on...

Here are a few pics.

Cool pic of the barn while chorin'. The nights are coming earlier.

One of the girls obviously does not understand my omelet requirements!

One of the kids just gettin' after it!
Old 09-14-2015, 04:30 PM
Master Pontificator

Thanks for the update. It sounds like you have your hands full. I love it when people include pictures. That picture of the barn at chore time should be framed! I love it!
Old 09-15-2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN_ALIEN View Post

Ted

Look like a well trained team there.

How long did it take the horses to train you?
Old 09-15-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryMom22 View Post
Thanks for the update. It sounds like you have your hands full. I love it when people include pictures. That picture of the barn at chore time should be framed! I love it!
Thanks CM. It didn't turn out too bad considering all I had was a cell phone camera when I walked and and saw the 'pic'.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarksLady View Post
Look like a well trained team there.

How long did it take the horses to train you?
Ole Frank and Fritz are a great team.
They didn't need to train me... after a pass even I knew 'teamster' would not be on the resume.