BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:29 PM
Master Pontificator

Default shopping with calulator?

How many of you do shop with a calculator. I have found many mistakes on my receipts from Walmart, so I now shop with a calculator and I write the price down in my price list page for that product, so I now know how much my bill will be. I caught cashiers not taking off my coupons and was told if the cash register doesn't take it off they can't enter it manually.
Thanks
Old 09-03-2015, 06:18 PM

Yeah, I think shopping with a calculator would be a good idea – for me at least. Every once in a while I’ll pick up a large, “economy” size bottle or box of something that’s on our grocery list and notice that the smaller containers of it look like they might be better buys. I know the tiny “cost per ounce” signs are right there on the shelves, but the typing on those signs is hard for these old eyes to read unless I get closer to them by getting down on my knees in the grocery store isle.
So, whenever I suspect the smaller container of something is a better buy, I go looking for my wife, who always carries a small calculator in her purse. Sometimes I’ve been right about the smaller containers being better buys, usually not. But for “cost per ounce” reason alone, I’ll bet my wife’s little calculator has paid for itself 10 times over in the years she’s had it.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:08 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

We buy so very little at the stores ( aldi or Walmart) that it's pretty easy to remember the marked prices when I get to the register. Top of that it is nearly the same items every week - milk eggs bread etc never canned or processed stuff. They do make mistakes at the register cause the computer doesn't have the right price . The advantage of doing self checkout is you can take your time .

I have also see many items where the unit price on the big containers is more expensive than the small containers. It the principle not the tenth of a cent .

Btw my smart phone is my calculator and it also allows me to comparison shop real time.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:44 PM

Mrs. Coaltrain has a knack for adding the items up in her head as she goes along. While not exact like using a calculator she is always within $1 at checkout. And she watches the checkout clerk like a hawk with the coupons. The few stores that we go to have a small monitor (sometimes the credit card screen) which shows each item as it is scanned along with the coupons.

She also adds as she goes along since there is a budget for each grocery run that needs to be met.

MtnManJim - I always look at the cost per unit on the shelf. Makes no sense but you are correct in that sometimes the smaller package is less money per once etc than the larger package.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:14 AM

The shopping carts used to have calculators on them. That was handy.
I don't use a calculator as I shop now but I do keep a running total in the margin of my grocery list.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanb View Post
How many of you do shop with a calculator. I have found many mistakes on my receipts from Walmart, so I now shop with a calculator and I write the price down in my price list page for that product, so I now know how much my bill will be. I caught cashiers not taking off my coupons and was told if the cash register doesn't take it off they can't enter it manually.
Thanks
I think you've found lazy cashiers - Walmart is my last choice of places to shop but if I have coupons that are near their expiration date (and are worth the effort), I'll suck it up and go to Wally (since I know they prefer to not deal with coupons). I've had cashiers key them in on more than one occasion. Of course this is after they review what I've purchased to ensure the product(s) were purchased. That's okay - I only go to Wally when I have plenty of time and patience. And am purchasing name brand items that don't require refrigeration/freezer as I don't trust Wally to ensure proper storage.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:12 PM

I kind of do a fast count by rounding up the prices. Friday knew had enough money to get what I had to stock up. Just got what was on my list. Really not much but cost enough. I have bought small notebook to start doing prices. Big city no sales tax on food. Here and Vernal 4% tax on food. No coupons for what I buy as basic stuff, Store brand,
Old 09-15-2015, 06:19 PM

Thumbs up Phone calculator

Use mine all the time! Figuring ounces,sq feet of insulation ,wood and paint.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesquite_Bean View Post
The shopping carts used to have calculators on them. That was handy.
I don't use a calculator as I shop now but I do keep a running total in the margin of my grocery list.
Stores found out that people purchase less whne they had a running total in front of them