BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 09-16-2015, 10:36 PM

Smile Hi from Idaho

Been reading BHM for years and have been following quite of few of the threads on this forum. My husband and I own a little piece of land with a few fruit trees and most years we have a large garden, although not this year. Medical issues needing attention took away from our time for a garden. I retired early this year but turned right around and began working part-time for our small church. Much prefer the part-time work, and as my full time job was in a government office, there's a lot less pressure where I work now. We have two daughters and 4 grandsons. Our family have always been very active outside with hunting, fishing, backpacking, rock climbing, and canoeing. I have also done a lot of canning, crafts, sewing, crocheting, and even needlework although I prefer the outdoors. Several posts lately got me wishing I could participate, so I decided to join. Looking forward to conversing with you. I have learned quite a bit from many of you and I have prayed hard for those requesting prayer. I hope that I am able to help some of you as you have helped me.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:29 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Welcome! Always loved Idaho, wonderful place.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:19 PM
Master Pontificator

Welcome Mrs.B, it's great to have you join us. For the most part, we're a nice group of people and very helpful. Sounds like you are one busy lady.

I'll look forward to your posts!
Old 09-18-2015, 06:58 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Welcome MrsB! It sounds like you're going to be able to teach us something too.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:12 AM

Hello MrsB
I'm here in Idaho also. Idaho is such a diverse state. I'm in North Central, where about are you guys homesteading?
Old 09-22-2015, 01:31 PM

Welcome MrsB and look forward to your posts. We love Idaho and are in the Magic Valley.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:32 PM

I crochet as well! I'm not very good at it, but I can make a mean baby blanket. LOL. I've never been to Idaho. I wonder what the land is like. I could look it up but its no fun when I can get a first hand account from someone else. Have you lived there all your life? Or did you move there from somewhere else?
Old 09-22-2015, 09:14 PM

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all the kind greetings. Dave, Gundog and Smittenkitten, I’m going to reply to each of you at once in this post so as to not take up as much room on the forum.
DaveD, we’re in Southeast Idaho, about 25 miles south of Pocatello. We’ve been here a while. I think our youngest was 1 year old when we moved out here from Pocatello. She’s 37 now. We don’t exactly have a “homestead,” just a few acres with a small house, a large garden most years and a few fruit trees. However, the outdoor activities we love are right here – deer hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, backpacking, canoeing, and in our younger days, rock climbing and mountaineering.
Yeah Gundog, you can probably tell – we love Idaho too! My husband was born in Burley there in the Magic Valley. But he grew up just outside of Homedale, in the Treasure Valley. His mom still lives there. As you probably know, the Treasure Valley is not at all like it was when my husband grew up there. I guess that’s what some people call “progress.” That’s not what we call it.
No Smittenkitten, I’m not a native born Idahoan. But that’s not my fault. You can’t choose where you are born. I was born and raised in Southern California, but moved to Idaho with my husband when he got out of the Service in 1972. Every once in a while when I want to pester my husband I tell him I only married him because he was my ticket out of California. After being married to him for 44 years though, I don’t think he takes me too seriously when I tell him that.
As DaveD said, Idaho is a very diverse state. It’s so diverse, it’s hard to say the land is like this or that. We live in Marsh Valley, in the Southeastern part of Idaho. Where we live is high desert country, a lot of which has been turned into farmland, mostly grain. Idaho’s “Famous Potatoes” for the most part are grown in the Snake River Valley, which curves clear across Southern Idaho, and then turns north to form a lengthy section of Idaho’s western border. The Grand Teton Mountains are on Idaho’s eastern border, and the Middle Fork of the Salmon River (the “River Of No Return”) cuts across the middle of the state. IMO, the awesome Sawtooth Mountains, not too far south from the River Of No Return, are Idaho’s crowning glory. The Sawtooths are so high and jagged, they don’t even look real. They look more like a 7-year olds conception of jagged mountains done in crayon. The further north you go in Idaho, the more heavily timbered it becomes. Northern Idaho is very heavily timbered with huge, beautiful, natural lakes scattered here and there.
Idaho’s weather is diverse too. Where my husband grew up over in the Southwestern part of Idaho, 100 degree plus temperatures (UGH!) are the norm for weeks on end in the summer. And it seldom drops below zero in the winter. Here in Southeastern Idaho we might see 2 weeks of temperatures in the high 90s in the summer, but come winter, hold onto your hat, 35 to 40 degrees below zero and a deadly wind chill sometimes thrown in for good measure! Luckily, it doesn’t stay that way for long. Besides, I can deal with cold a lot easier than heat. I can always put on more clothes.
About the only thing that’s consistent everywhere in Idaho is the mountains. I once read a book about Idaho and the author said there was only one place he’d been in Idaho where he couldn’t see any mountains in any direction. Combined, my husband and I have spent well over 100 years in Idaho and neither of us have ever found the place in Idaho where we couldn’t see mountains. Maybe that author had pour eyesight. Either that or he was looking for mountains after dark on a moonless night.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:44 PM

Sounds beautiful. Makes me hope there's some plant up there for my husband to visit. I can tell you privately where I live now. If you saw in my previous post on this board, I'm from practically across the country from you. LOL. From the way you describe it, I understand why you haven't ventured elsewhere. Why should you? You have it all!