BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 09-24-2015, 12:37 PM

Default Hello from Indiana

Hello everyone,

My daughters and I presently live in Indiana on a few acres. We're looking at the possibility of moving back east for family reasons. Considering Northern Tied of PA, Southern Tier of NY. Was hoping we could find a liveable place and a few usable acres which we could pay cash for, but this is proving to be difficult.

We are active here in syrup production (maple and hickory), and have an interest in all aspects of off grid living. We homeschool, have a small garden, some chickens and rabbits for Eggs and meat. We are by no means "self sufficient", but would like to move more in that direction.

Looking forward to interacting with others who have similar interests on this forum.

Quiet in the Land
Old 09-24-2015, 08:14 PM

Hi quietintheland. Welcome!
I'd never heard of hickory syrup. Is it like maple syrup? I love real maple syrup. Is hickory syrup collected and boiled down the same way as maple?
Old 09-24-2015, 10:48 PM
Master Pontificator

Hi Quietintheland. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate. As your finding out, land in the east is expensive! Good luck with your search.

I look forward to your posts, and I second Jim's questions about the hickory syrup!
Old 09-25-2015, 10:41 AM
Master Pontificator

quietintheland I am from central Indiana. Hope you enjoy the forum. I hate to see you want to leave Indiana but family is always first. IS your syrup sold in the Indianapolis area, if so I will check it out?
Old 09-27-2015, 04:11 PM

Thanks everyone for the welcome. I hate to leave Indiana (and the midwest in general as well). The more I research properties and areas in PA, I realize finding what we need is a real needle in a haystack.

As for the hickory syrup, we make it using the bark of the shagbark hickory tea. Our process is similar, but not exactly the same as described here:

http://davescupboard.blogspot.com/20...ory-syrup.html

At the present time, we sell it at the Greensburg, Indiana farmer's market and roadside at our house. We'd need to produce it in a commercial kitchen if we were to wholesale it anywhere else. The flavor is somewhat like maple, but smokier and nuttier.

Quiet in the Land