BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Energy

Energy Energy topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:41 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Old Army Surplus Bike Generator

I saw one in a cheaper than dirt catalog years ago, it was a stationary bike type 12 volt generator made for military use (i think it may have been 70s Vietman stuff). been looking for more info on it, and if there is a place i can get one.

anyone know anything about them?

I use solar exclusivly, 12 volt, and sitting indoors in this cold weather has me wishing for one to burn calories and charge the batteries. i see plenty of kits to turn a regular bike into a generator, and assorted plastic emergency things, but nothing i like (price wise or size, given that my cabin is so small i can't use large stuff).
Old 02-18-2015, 06:26 PM
Grand Master Pontificator
Super Moderator

Feel like building one...?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Peda...ttery-Charger/
*Robert Frost*
Old 02-18-2015, 09:05 PM

I also remember the old black and white war movies of a guy turning the cycle crank type generator while the radio operator talks...

Did a quick Google search of "hand crank 12v generator" and found this...
Good luck...
===
https://www.k-tor.com/pedal-powered-generator/
Old 02-19-2015, 07:40 AM

Bike powered generation of electricity is very inefficient: http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2011/...enerators.html
Old 02-19-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
I also remember the old black and white war movies of a guy turning the cycle crank type generator while the radio operator talks...

Did a quick Google search of "hand crank 12v generator" and found this...
Good luck...
===
https://www.k-tor.com/pedal-powered-generator/
They still used those in the '50's
Old 02-19-2015, 06:39 PM
Master Pontificator

yeah, i know they are inefficent, the point is that its 20 below outside and there is 4 feet of snow, I want to stay active but don't want to go out. since i use 12 volt to power everything i figured i would use it for 3 or 4 hours a day and add a little power to my battery bank, even if i only generate 15 watts an hour, thats 15 watts of extra power i didn't have before. since a lot of days i am just sitting in front of the tv anyway waiting for better weather, i might as well charge some of the power (my tv uses 30 watts, i get 15 channels on the antenna).

I think the army used them up until the 80s, they were practical to provide power for some equipment in very remote locations, but its easier to get other stuff out there now. even in the mountains around here i see small solar pannels set up to power emergency phones along the highway, road construction billboards have pannels, etc.

I considered building one, and tried twice but only made a mess of it, i was able to make a small wind turbine and a hand crank setup (like a crank flour mill) but both bikes ended up a pile of parts.

I am online today (at the wifi hotspot) just to order one of those kortor or whatever it is types, while i don't think it was built for lots of extended use, i doubt i will find a better made durrible one, and ordering one of those would be the fastest option.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:56 PM

Thumbs up I'm looking for that too !

I am looking into those options also.
I need some more exorcize when I can't get out. The shorter days with grey sky won't produce as much power on the solar panels.
I'm looking at several ways to supplement it. Any watts would help.

One option is heat to electricity:
Power pot.... or build my own or something similar.
http://www.powerpractical.com/powerpot-v

Exercise bike is another option. I'd need both..... the exercise and the extra power generation. Other wise I'm on the internet all day sitting.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:53 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidOH View Post
I am looking into those options also.
I need some more exorcize when I can't get out. The shorter days with grey sky won't produce as much power on the solar panels.
I'm looking at several ways to supplement it. Any watts would help.

One option is heat to electricity:
Power pot.... or build my own or something similar.
http://www.powerpractical.com/powerpot-v

Exercise bike is another option. I'd need both..... the exercise and the extra power generation. Other wise I'm on the internet all day sitting.

I hear ya, its -15 F outside with 35 mph wind pushing snow drifts again, 4 feet deep snow banks. I got no internet at home, i walk to a wifi hotspot a few miles away. my solar array usually can power everything reliably except between December 1st and January 20th. using the wifi hotspot to charge the laptop battery to reduce the drain on the cabin battery bank. being a very active person i consider it hell to be stuck inside, my cabin was built to be minimal shelter, if the weather was less extreme i would be out side all the time.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:50 PM

Always kills me to see 'City People' so far upside down in the world they avoid the stairs like the plague,
But will pay some 'Gym' $100 a month to walk up fake stairs...

They spend HOURS on a stationary bicycle going no where, while smirking at actual biker riders on the roads...

The count every calorie, scared to death they will gain an ounce,
And yet drink like a fish putting a bunch of useless calories in themselves without thinking a thing about it.

They pay a premium, through the nose actually, for 'Organic' foods,
But ask them to weed a garden and they get offended!

They all want HUGE 'McMansion' houses, and they complain incessantly about utility prices, and how we should 'Go Green',
But suggest something smaller and more practical, and the flip out!

Winter for me is MAINTIANCE time, fix everything, get it ready for spring,
Take all those old scrap projects apart and separate the metals,
Tinker with all the ideas you had during the summer,
Mend all the drip irrigation lines that were leaking in the summer,
Make some jerky, dry some fruit/vegetables,
See what you can whip up, dried weed arrangements, ect. for the city people to buy... (YES! City People are dumb enough to buy dead weeds, and pay premium prices!)

Go back through all those summer catalogs, tech manuals, magazines you didn't have time to read in the summer...
Those seed catalog pictures look pretty good when the snow is butt deep to a 15 foot Indian, it's -10F and everything is covered with ice, you haven't seen a full days sun in three months!

All those little 'Honey Do' projects... That will win you a lot of brownie points, If not actual brownies!