BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 10-24-2015, 06:49 PM

Default Cooking Dried Beans

http://www.durgan.org/2015/October%2...%20Beans/HTML/ 24 October 2015 Beans
Nine types of beans purchased from a bulk barn were pressure cooked and blended into a mash and stored in plastic containers.They are frozen and used as required. I use them as a reasonable replacement for meat by re-frying or ingest as they are. They are inexpensive and simple to prepare. Pictures depict the process.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:47 PM
Master Pontificator

That is a good idea and a time saver in what you have done. During the summer months I prepare lots of homemade refried beans to go with tortillas and grilled chicken, in winter lots of spicy bean soup and cowboy beans with smoked sausages.

I traded my large chest freezer for a new air conditioner for the farmhouse, all I have now is an upright freezer so don't have a lot of room to do something like you have done.
Thanks
Old 10-25-2015, 04:32 PM

Not a bad idea for convenience.

But I prefer to store mine dry. You just can't trust a freezer

Soak over night, then throw in a VA ham hock. Cook most of the day on the wood stove. I can't eat corn bread but I will make some for the rest of the family

Of course using cast iron skillet for the corn bread
Old 10-25-2015, 05:28 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I like dried beans and have a variety to cook. Last beans I bought was new to me. Costly I feel but wanted to try. The bulk store not cheap in big city. Pintos seem to be the cheapest. Beans are not complete protein except soy beans.

I do my beans differently. I do not mix them. I try to have a good recipe for each kind so not same old thing. I like a little meat in my beans. I cook in big amounts and freeze to meal size for me. Just me to feed. Bean here take time to cook. Then I have a choice in the freeze to eat. So they taste different. Does not that way seem so much a bean diet. Even when I did not have a freezer I cooked just for family and did a variety. think I have been able to find about dozen kinds of beans in the stores. . Plus I have lentils and split green peas. Several kinds of rice and barley and quinoa.

Jean your beans sound good. I have to go easy on spicy but I like it. I like chili and still make but milder. I like flat bread I learned to make better than tortillas. My son said he did too. I share it with him.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:39 PM

I process the soy beans alone and always eat a bowl for breakfast.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?RPGMQ 29 November 2014 Processing Soy Beans.
One liter of dried soy beans were processed for a breakfast food. Procedure is rinse, boil for about half an hour, rinse again, soak for 12 hours,rinse, cook in pressure cooker for 1.5 to 2 hours. Blend into a slurry, add a bit of molasses for flavor. Store in containers. They will keep in the refrigerator for about ten days before spoiling. I usually store in the freezer to remove the spoiling concern. A bowl is ingested each morning.