BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 10-03-2015, 12:21 AM

Default HENRY BIG BOY RIFLE

Has anyone tried the Big Boys with the steel sides? Especially curious about it in 45 Colt. I'm curious how it would perform next to a 30-30 or 30-06? And does anyone have the ballistics of the 45 Colt in a rifle barrel?

I'm Living My Dream! Three Horses, two Dogs and a Bit of Land!
Old 10-03-2015, 08:34 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

It will pretty much do anything a 30-30 can do relative to deer hunting, but really can't be compared to a 30-06, and you probably need to reload to get the best results.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/45colt.html

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

http://leverguns.com/articles/paco/45coltlevergun.htm
Old 10-03-2015, 11:59 PM

I've handled a Henry 30-30 just before it was closed up in the box for the first time.... Have not got to fire one yet.. It seemed a little heavier than it looks like it should be.. And was a little more muzzle heavy than you would expect..

As much as I like a peep rear sight.. The Ghost Ring style they put on them isn't going to be one of my favorites.. A little too big a hole for me.. For instance that big a peep hole on a FAL is a little too big a hole for my liking on a hunting rifle.. The big peep on the FAL with it's 20 round mag, self loading, and power is OK, as that is a whole different application.. I like the traditional iron sights for hunting better...

Also being familiar with the 30-30 more so than heavy pistol rounds, besides the argument 30-30 is in every hardware store.. I'd choose the 30-30 every time... Just my 2 cents..

No experience with there center fire pistol caliber rifles.. I have fired a Marlin in pistol caliber and LIKED that a lot..

Like said... Comparing 30-30 with 30-06 is like comparing a 4 cylinder to a V8... Regardless of the body style it is in.. Again my 2 cents..

A used Marlin or Winchester can be had 2 for 1 for the Henry money.. Every organization around here that has a fund raiser raffle is giving away a Henry 30-30... With luck I can win one..

So if the Henry is what you think you will like and be useful to you... Go for it.. Be sure to post your results...

Good luck...
Old 10-04-2015, 01:25 PM

Thanks to both of you.

Bearfootfarm, thank you for the links. They were much needed for me to compare.

Wyo. thank you for the insight. But last time I checked the Henry was cheaper in .45 than the Marlin. Of course it might just be where I am and that many things are priced differently for some reason.

Any one else having any info it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-04-2015, 02:17 PM

But last time I checked the Henry was cheaper in .45 than the Marlin. Of course it might just be where I am and that many things are priced differently for some reason. === Price of pistol caliber lever rifles is something I don't have a clue about..
---
Just what I have noticed about the 30-30 rifles... The Marlin 45-70 rifles seem about $2-3 hundred higher on average than the Henry, near as I can tell.. Either of the 45-70s is too costly for my taste.. But would be a real thumper to shoot and hunt with...

Good luck..
Old 10-04-2015, 03:15 PM

Henry's have always been cheaper than Marlins, but in general the quality was a little better.

I don't know if that is still true since Remington aquired Marlin.

I do know the older Marlins are bringing higher prices than newer production runs.

The most valuable ones will have "JM" stamped on the barrels

Ballistic performance will be the same for them all though, varying slightly with barrel length.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:33 AM

Must admit I have tried one, and let me tell you that is One Sweet Shooting firearm. Plus Much quieter and next to No recoil compared to my 30-30.

When I tried it my 73 yr old neighbor (female) and 80+ friend (male) were with me. While the 80 yr old didn't want to try it, the 73 yr old did. Must tell you she is a DEAD shot with AR-7 in .22. That is her snake gun, and not using snake shot. She just points that gun and the snake is dead. And she LIKES semi-autos. So she also wanted to try the .45 even tho she DOESN'T like to cycle a firearm. Wanted to try it because it was so quiet I guess. So I set her up and she fired, then handed it to me said "cycle it please" which I did and she fired again, and again. She said the only thing wrong was that you have to cycle it between shots. There was no kick beyond that of a .22 Mag, maybe.

So guess I will be getting the .45 and sell the 30-30. Besides already have the .45 revolver so will be able to use the same ammo. Who knows might even get into handloading. But not right now. Still a few more bills to pay off first.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:21 AM

Well I did get the Henry .45 Colt Big Boy in Steel Sides. Had a large loop put on, found it is much easier to handle with winter gloves on, and shortened to youth model length.

Thank You to everyone for the great info and much needed links. Would love to sit around the campfire with ya'll and pass the time. See you on the flip side.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lraude View Post
Well I did get the Henry .45 Colt Big Boy in Steel Sides. Had a large loop put on, found it is much easier to handle with winter gloves on, and shortened to youth model length.

Thank You to everyone for the great info and much needed links. Would love to sit around the campfire with ya'll and pass the time. See you on the flip side.
===
PICTURES..... WE NEED PICTURES....

NOT just pictures of targets with holes in it... Action pictures of you and things...

Congrats on your new stuff..
Enjoy..