BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Hands-On How-To

Hands-On How-To This board is ONLY for detailed, instructional posts about how to do or make something. General conversation about a topic belongs in the appropriate board.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:30 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Home made tools

I think many of you will really enjoy this web site. I already have several projects in my bucket.

http://www.homemadetools.net/
Old 10-07-2015, 12:34 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Cool. Thanks for posting.

In my days as a gearhead, I often made special tools by modifying screw drivers, combination wrenches or sockets by cutting, bending, welding. That's one good use for those cheap Harbor Freight-type sets.

I once made a special tool for adjusting a Saab transmission out of a piece of electrical conduit. It took about 5 minutes of my time. Snap-On wanted $100 for it. Another time I saved several hundred by sacrificing two cheap screwdrivers and a 3/4in drive socket from a cheap set to use as valve lash and clutch tools for a Ferrari.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:35 AM
Master Pontificator

I though you had made some tools, but since here, as doc said I have made a few tools over the years.

I don't remember what the specialty tool cost to hold a Crankshaft pulley while the crankshaft bolt was removed, but it was exorbitant for what it was and did. A flat one-quarter inch by one inch steel with holes drilled the correct spacing and two quarter inch round steel bars approximate one and a half inches welded flush on the back side, may not have been as glossy as the specialty tool, but it performed just as well as the manufactures tool could have ever dreamed of performing. Cost a few dollars to make, maybe 1/4 the price of the manufactured tool.

Needing to pull a pulley where normal designed pullers would not hold (kept slipping under a load) I cut a 1/4 inch steel sheet with a metal cutting hole saw of adequate excess diameter, I could drill and thread five bolt holes of the correct threads to connect to the pulley and then tapped the center pilot hole so the pulley could be extracted from its secure location. Virtually cost nothing since I already owned the tap and die set and metal hole cutting tool both. The metal used was a scrap piece of steel too, so a few dollars for the six bolts, was it.

Both a large base and small base spark plug had their insulators removed and were altered so they could be threaded into the normal spark plug socket and then attach a length of plastic tubing so smoke could be blown (or pumped) into the engine head to observe for evidence of a blown head gasket or otherwise improperly fitting head and/or head gasket to the engine block. Any smoke escaping from another spark plug socket or around the outside of the engine confirms very serious engine problems. But to perform this test, serious engine trouble was probably already suspected. Old spark plugs, a little time and effort, a little J-B Weld, and a short eight to ten inch length of flexible hose. I try to keep J-B Weld on hand, so a couple of dollars for the flexible hose (tubing) was it.

All four tools continue in my tool chest today, should they ever be needed again.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:29 PM
Master Pontificator

I was rummaging around in the shop this past week, and found a funnel I made in a shop class a couple of years ago. It brought back some memories.

We also had to make a "C" clamp too, IIRC it was an eight inch clamp, but it could have been a six inch.

After finding the funnel, I looked around a little for the "C" clamp but did not find it, but I have no doubt it is still lurking in the shop also.

Both shop tools were required for a passing grade in the class, regardless of tests, participation, etc. If the tools were not made, one did not receive a passing grade for the course.