BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 10-30-2015, 03:40 PM

Question Sourdough Bread Recipe?

Anyone got a good sourdough bread recipe that's not too hard? I'm not a purest - that is I don't have anything against adding store-bought yeast. I just love the taste of sourdough and I'm not a real good cook, especially when it comes to knowing about bread dough and how to "work" it.

I DO have a real healthy starter working though.

Last edited by MtnManJim; 10-30-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:02 AM
Master Pontificator

Default Sourdough Bread - umm, umm Good!

2 1/2 Cups All-purpose Flour
2 Cups Warm Water (105 - 115 degrees)
1 Cup Sourdough Starter
3 3/4 to 4 1/4 Cups Flour
3 Tablespoons Sugar
1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda

Mix 2 1/2 cups flour, 2 cups warm water and the sourdough starter in a three quart glass bowl with wooden spoon until smooth. Cover; let sit in a warm, draft free place eight hours.

Add 3 3/4 cups flour, the sugar, oil, salt and baking soda to sourdough mixture. Stir with wooden spoon until dough is smooth and flour is completely absorbed. (Dough should be just firm enough to gather in ball.) If necessary, gradually add remaining 1/2 cup flour, stirring until all flour is absorbed.

Turn dough onto heavily floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up. Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 1 1/2 hours. (Dough is ready if an indention remains when touched.)

Punch down dough; divide into halves. Shape each half into round, slightly load. (Do not tear dough by pulling.) Place loaves in opposite corners of a greased cookie sheet. Make three 1/4 inch deep slashes across loaves. Let rise until double, about 45 minutes.

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Brush loaves with cold water. Place on middle oven rack. Bake until loaves sound hollow when tapped, about fifty minutes, brushing occasionally with water. Cool on wire rack.

Each loaf should yield about 16 slices.

Do not burn fingers and/or mouth by trying to slice and consume to quickly!
Old 11-02-2015, 12:57 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

That sounds good! Right now I use Jackie Clay's recipe and that works well. However, I have wondered about letting the dough rise in a bowl after kneading it and before shaping into loaves. I do that with plain white bread and it gets a good rise.

Now that market season is over, I think I will experiment a bit.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:42 AM
Master Pontificator

It is good, at least to us.

The wife has dozens of recipe books, but she also makes up things (from scratch, as the saying goes) from time to time. She is better about writing down what she does now than in the past. With a record she can adjust or simply reproduce her own creation, which without a record was sometimes difficult to do.

But the Sourdough Bread recipe is not her own. It is from the Betty Crocker's New American Cooking cookbook. First edition, published 1983, page 203. The opposite page (202) also has a pretty good recipe for Sourdough French Bread, at least in our opinion, but "French Bread" may not be as desirable everywhere as it is here in the deep South.