Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 11-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...xer-91907.html

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/brows...%3BBRprd705690

http://www.brownells.com/search/inde...lers&ksubmit=y
Old 11-21-2012, 01:05 PM
Master Pontificator

If you really, really want to tumble but don't have a tumbler, you can do what I did a few times. Place you brass/media in a large plastic SCREW-CAP container. Tape this shut with a wrap of duct tape for extra security. Place the sealed container in a cardboard box that you place in the clothes dryer. Stuff the remaining empty space with some pillows or such to keep the box from bouncing around.

Set the dryer on cool and run for about an hour. This MUST be done when the wife is NOT home. I've gotten away with it several times and it works.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:32 PM

I recently watched some you tube videos on cleaning brass with a few home made concoctions. The results weren't to bad if that's all a person had. One might want to look some of those up for ideas.

yard sales can sometimes yield reloading or cleaning equipment very cheap. I usually just ask a price if it isnt marked. Many times people dont even know what it is they are selling and just want it gone. If it's a good price I don't haggle and I don't try to act like I know more than them and spoil a deal.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:42 PM

Well I broke down and bought a Thumler's model B and some SS media so I'm set on that. Had to make a move in a direction hat gives me more control of my ammo flow than the stores in this climate. Currently reloading for .45acp and .223 and will hopefully be doing 30.06 soon as I hope to have a Garand soon.

Thanks for all the info guy's.

SamS
Old 10-25-2015, 11:50 AM

Do you know what 'Silica' sand is? White 'Sandblasting' sand?

I wouldn't use Silica sand in a machine, since it actually cuts into the brass,
But for a 'Hand Powered' cleaner, you will tire out before the sand does damage...

Remove the primers, drop brass into a container that WILL NOT break, plastic or metal,
That has a screw on lid.
1/4 full brass, 1/4 full sand, 1/2 empty.

You can roll the container around the yard, Shake it, whatever, just keep it moving.

Sharp silica sand will clean in a reasonable amount of time,
But rounded construction or beach sand will take FOREVER, and your brass won't come out 'Shiny'...

Don't forget to wash the brass in HOT water/soap when it's cleaned,
You don't want that silica in the primer pocket or neck when you load.

------------------

I have several types/sizes of cleaners, and by far the stainless steel pins are the easiest and give the best results.
You will be happy with that tumbler for YEARS to come, probably decades.

I'm using a pressure canner, liquid seal in the lid, VERY large volume, I can clean 2,000 to 2,500 brass at a time and still have plenty of room...
Weight becomes an issue before volume of brass does.
The SS pins do a GREAT job, and they do it FAST.

If you don't mind, I would suggest one thing to any newbie...
Buy a CASE GAUGE!
Short/Fat round, especially .45 ACP, like a STRIGHT, SMOOTH case for feeding.

A case gauge will tell you when you have the case the correct size (SAAMI Specification),
So you KNOW your brass/loaded rounds are correct to the last detail...
Gauge the brass before it's loaded to make sure the dies are set EXACTLY correctly,
Use the gauge again on loaded rounds to ensure there weren't any anomalies when they loaded.
If they fit the case gauge, they should feed/chamber/cycle.
If they don't, you KNOW it's the firearm and NOT your reloads...

Some guys say if it's fired, and it's going back into the same firearm, you don't need to use a gauge...
OK, That's a LOT of "IF's",
And once you use the gauge to get your dies set up and tuned, use the gauge to monitor progress, making sure something didn't move or change, there are no "IF's" in the process.
Case gauges run $15 to $25 and will keep you cranking out highest quality rounds for years to come!

Last edited by JeepHammer; 10-25-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:28 PM

The "Tumbler Model B" units are good equipment...
I used one loading with a buddy many years ago when they were about $29...

Read somewhere recently about using a stainless steel rod tumbling media that seems to work well.. Rods about .06" diameter x 3/8" long ?? They are said to pass through primer flash holes and don't cause any problems bridging in cases etc... Used with a little soapy water..

After a good rinse someone was wondering how to best dry the cases.. Easy.. Spread out on an old cookie sheet, bake in the oven at about 200* for an hour or so.. Let cool..

The cement mixer is not a bad idea if you have quantity enough.. Only problem may be paint coming off the mixer inside on the first few uses..
---
In small tumblers, I have seen white rice with a little coating of Brasso used to polish and brighten not very grubby brass.. With that you do have to check for rice stuck in primer holes and pockets.. Some will say Brasso attacks and weakens brass.. Maybe if you saturate the brass or don't clean it off well... Again a little hot soapy water, rinse, bake dry works well.

Good luck
Old 10-28-2015, 08:45 PM

Don't know if this was posted in the thread - but I use used dryer sheets in my tumbler. They take up a lot of crud and extend the life of the polishing media.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:14 AM

BIL lives at the end of a long gravel road. He throws his brass an media in a sealed tote and lets it ride in the back of his pickup for a week. Claims it works as good as any tumbler.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wywhitewolf View Post
BIL lives at the end of a long gravel road. He throws his brass an media in a sealed tote and lets it ride in the back of his pickup for a week. Claims it works as good as any tumbler.

Heh - I don't doubt this one bit.