BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Health

Health Any kind of health issue, alternative medicines, herbal and folk remedies, etc.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:18 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Doc neither do I. I am sure there is some type of maximum lifespan based on a person's dna as you say like -- the Haflick " theory " you speak of but that was not what I was talking about. Not a theoretical maximum life span but how long real people really live and the realquality of that life they have - not theories. That to me is more important than any theory about maximums

Those people in Okinawa or sadinia or Loma Linda or Costa Rica have thru diet and lifestyle found a way to stay closer to your scientific theoretical maximum ( what ever it is ) than most in the world and I believe they are worth listening to. And nuts for a snack was a common theme.

http://www.bluezones.com/wp-content/..._Longevity.pdf

Last edited by MissouriFree; 05-17-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:00 PM
Master Pontificator

T. Colin Campbell, PhD, is the project director of the China-Oxford-Cornell Diet and Health Project (the China Study), a 20-year study of nutrition and health. He is the Jacob Gould Schurman Professor Emeritus of nutritional biochemistry at Cornell University. In more than 40 years of research he has received more than 70 grant-years of peer-eviewed research funding and authored more than 300 research papers. This is just one of many long term studies ....that are coming out about biochemistry and nutrition. There are long term studies, one just has to read them with a non bias opinion and then you can decide for your self. Nuts that are not cooked ....do not have chemical changed into fat, they do have major health improvement. My doctor and I have reduced my arthritis pain by 90 percent, the diabetic and fat rates are back to normal no more medicine, my Fibro issues have been reduced by85 percent....and I have lost all 30 pounds of extra weight, I feel like I just walked out of 15 years of hell with chronic pain. An it all started when I found doctors who knew about biochemistry and these major studies , I have massive changed my diet. MO is darn right about ...research that is looking into cultures that have no.....heart attacks, no diabetic issues and no stroke....we live in a culture that pops a pill,....a pill that is today number six killer of people. Lets get to the cure....I heard doctors say they believe people do not care and are too stupid to do things needed to heal, so they do not support nutrition.....give them a darn pill and send them home. I find it sad.....
Old 10-29-2015, 09:21 PM
Master Pontificator

I agree Di. We need to educate people, not push another pill at them.

We need to fix the cause, not treat the symptoms!
Old 11-02-2015, 04:35 PM

People do not want to be fixed. They do want another pill. It is the food, but people don't want to change what they eat. They want what they want. I had this conversation with my ARNP last month and this is what she said. People will come in and she will try to talk to them about exercising and losing a little weight and they ask for a pill and tell her if she doesn't give it to them they will find someone who will and they do.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryMom22 View Post

We need to fix the cause, not treat the symptoms!
The problem is that usually the "cause" is mere chance &/or genetics, neither of which is under our control.

Ask Jim Fix how much good exercise does or Eull Gibbons how well "natural nutrition" works.

In case you don't remember, Fix was an avid jogger and published many books on the subject. He dropped dead of a heart attack, while running, in his 40s. Gibbons was that authority on eating nuts & berries who did the Grape Nuts commercials in the 70s. He died of colon cancer, aged 64.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:27 PM

I filled in how long will live type thing. based on income and history of fanily and what not. Ha! Says 97.7 years. But the high end could 102 or low end 92 . Based on my age of 84 .

Nope do not eat much nuts. There was woman writer on Eat Right some books. Died of cancer at 70. Adele something.

My doctor says walk a mile a day. Exercise he says walk. I am Afib and too much exercise could be bad. One of the leading doctors on Afib says lifestyle, diet, wt control and exercise . Seems my PC doctor is doing this.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:28 PM

I just eat nuts because I like them. All kinds. Seeds and legumes, too. Peanuts, oh buddy!!! Not a nut, though, I know. Peanut butter, now there's a perfect food!! I am forever grateful to George Washington Carver.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:01 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildapple View Post
I just eat nuts because I like them. All kinds. Seeds and legumes, too. Peanuts, oh buddy!!! Not a nut, though, I know. Peanut butter, now there's a perfect food!! I am forever grateful to George Washington Carver.
Right on! Nuts are a primary snack food since suffering a Heart-attack in '12, but I have always enjoyed nuts, seeds, & legumes as you stated.

As a side note to your comments on peanut butter, have you ever tried the H. K. Anderson Peanut Butter Filled Pretzel Nuggets? If not, you should pick up a package. They are Um, Um Good! I also use them as a "nut snack" too for a little variety.