BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 12-06-2014, 11:38 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Exclamation Remington 700

Remington has agreed under a settlement to replace triggers in 7.85 million models 700's

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/busi...ar-gun-n262721
Old 12-07-2014, 11:53 AM

I do have to wonder why Gus Barbers's mother was switching the safety off while he was downrange. Why would anyone be pointing a loaded firearm at someone?
Seems like the 700 is one of millions and millions of products that can be lethal if they are allowed to become dirty or worn.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:49 PM

This has been around a long time with Remmington fighting it all the way .

Here is a documentary on the issue.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oS_GDpZM3ak
Old 01-11-2015, 01:32 PM

Peace

For what its worth in ilion that project was started many many months ago, not surprised media suppression lasted that long. Volumes could be filled with the shananigans that go on there.

"It is reasonable and just I should have a right to destroy that which threatens me with destruction". -John Locke
Old 03-30-2015, 07:45 PM
Master Pontificator

Remington was a top of the line quality manufacturer many years ago when they were on their own so to speak. Their 870 & 1100 shotguns and 788's & 740 rifles were some of the very best, if not the best themselves.

Some where along the way they lost sight of the quality thing and with mergers and buyout they have deviated a long way from what they once were.

I have heard it said their 788 rifles were the pinnacle of their 700 series bolt rifles. Kinda like the Winchester Model 70, pre-64. After the 788's all the rest have been down hill in quality, with each new & improved variety having greater loses in the quality department.

When quality competes with production costs, quality normally fades to the background, until the consumers turn their back on the product and walks away from it. When that happens the company will become really quality oriented, if they can salvage their business at that point in time. Some can, others let things go to far before seeing the light, and are unable to pull out of the slump. It looks like Remington is closing in on the place Colt was just a few short years ago.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:49 AM
Master Pontificator

Rifles listed in the recall notice: Model 700, Seven, Sportsman 78, 673, 710, 715, 770, 600, 660, XP-100, 721, 722, & 725.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:42 PM

http://xmprecall.remington.com/

Quote:
Remington Arms Company, LLC (“Remington”) is voluntarily recalling Remington Model 700™ and Model Seven™ rifles which were manufactured from May 1, 2006 through April 9, 2014 and which have an X-Mark Pro® (“XMP®”) trigger.

Rifles manufactured after April 9, 2014 are not subject to recall.
http://xmprecall.remington.com/pdfs/...all-notice.pdf
Old 07-26-2015, 12:44 AM

Jjr-My 788 is my hands down favorite bolt-gun I have. I got mine as the only year they made the .243 in an 18" barrel and it is a great deer and coyote rifle. It will put PPU 100 grain ammo into 4" at 200 yards, not 100.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:44 PM
Master Pontificator

I find it ironic Joe, that the 788 & 740 rifles I mention in post #5 were not listed in the recall notice.

I believe it says much more about the quality of the 788 rifles and them being one of Remington's better made rifles by not being listed in the recall notice. Maybe who ever I was speaking after really knew what they were talking about, when they said the 788's were the crown of the Remington Bolt Guns.

I would say your 788 just went up in value not being among the recalled rifles.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:17 PM

I have 3: a 788 - .243, 700ADL - .243, and a 700BDL - 7mm mag. Of the 3 I like the 788 the most. It'll drop one in the bottom of a pop can all day long at 250 yards. But I've also shot it the most as I've owned it for 44 years.

The ADL I bought figuring to replace the 788 a few years ago. It just never could achieve the accuracy with it that I had with the 788.

The BDL was bought for hunting elk as I felt the 788 was a little undersized. Thing is I never failed to get my elk with it though. That may have been to limiting myself to 200yd or less shots and not trying to reach out to 400 or 500 like I've done with the mag. It also has a bad kick that has never allowed me to put enough rounds through it to develop a feel foe the gun/scope.

I ran the numbers a few years back and none of them were included in the recall.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:13 AM

Same here www. Mine has been one of my most consistently accurate rifles. Has accounted for truckloads of deer, coyotes, prairie dogs, and badgers. Again, it may come down to me having shot it that much but it just seems to hit where I aim it, every single time.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:03 PM

I had a 700 BDL fire when I took the safe off to unload it. Scared the crap out of me and the people I had been hunting with. Gun was pointed towards the ground several feet in front of me.

That is why I'm a fan of the M70 safety, you can still be on safe but be able to open the bolt.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:46 PM

I received a Remington 783 in 308 for Xmas last year. This was my first Remington rifle as I previously only purchased Savage and Ruger rifles.

The 783 is their budget line just above the 770. I was not expecting 700 quality but it proved to be accurate with an excellent trigger.

However, I will not buy a new Remington rifle in the future due to my bad experience with their customer support department. My 783 had a feeding problem attributed to the magazine (too low). I called Remington to see if I could get a magazine swap.

After being bounced back and forth between 3 departments (including repair center), I was finally told that they cannot accept magazine swap and I must send my rifle to their repair center at my expense, because people might try to bum free mags from them.

I patiently explained that by mag swap I mean I would mail them my magazine. This is a common issue discussed by owners on the Internet forums, remedied by replacement mags made later.

But no, I was told to either ship my rifle to repair center at my expense, or buy a new magazine (at my expense). I tried to explain to them that a mag swap that fix the issue would have saved them $$ vs repair center labor, and their policy was moronic. She yelled at me for cussing. I hung up.

I bought 308 snap caps and fixed the magazine with pliers. By slightly bending the feed lips I was able to elevate the caps high enough for the bolt to reliably catch.

My experience with Savage customer service was far, far better. Donno how my 783 passed QA at the factory.

Last edited by momopi; 09-02-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momopi View Post
I bought 308 snap caps and fixed the magazine with pliers. By slightly bending the feed lips I was able to elevate the caps high enough for the bolt to reliably catch.

Reminds me of my Father's (now mine) Remmy 740, notoriously known as being a jammeister.

My Father advised me to never shoot the last round out of the mag. Shooting the last round ruins the mag. Followed that advice and kept the ports clean, and not jams since then.

Didn't want to get too off topic, but the similarities seemed worth mentioning.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:09 PM

I bought a 700 when I came home that is a pretty close clone of the M24 I had overseas. Was pretty satisfied with it and then I got the recall notice in the mail... sent it in and Remington worked on it. Worked fine when I sent it in, works fine now. The process was a pain, though.

Love me a 700. Only rifle I've ever shot that made a single hole in the zero target (5 rd group). First time I zeroed I thought I had missed four times... until I did it twice with a spotter. Of course, it was good ammo too, LC Match.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:47 PM

I bought a 700 BDL in 7MM Mag from a Navy buddy in1978 for $150.
It is not one that was recalled.
I haven't shot it in about 20 years. Every since I stopped hunting.
Just lost interest in hunting mostly due to the vast number of idiots.
When I did shoot it it never gave me one problem and dropped deer and elk with ease.
I am going to pass it along to my son pretty soon. It has our name engraved on the receiver so nobody else would want it.