BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Water

Water Drinking water, wells, ponds, saving, purifying, etc.

Old 11-29-2015, 04:25 PM

Default Water Storage and distribution

Greetings, and thanks to anyone who has an idea here!

I am slowly building a home in the country with my wife. We have started by building a barn. Inside we are building a small apartment to use as we slowly build a home next to the barn. I have a 600 gallon potable water trailer that I fill from our current home and trailer to the barn. I would like to utilize it as our water source until we can have a well installed (with the building of the home) at a later date. Eventually, the water tank will serve to irrigate a small garden and some landscaping at our entrance. My question is this: Can I utilize a shallow well jet pump and pressure tank to distribute water to a small bathroom and sink? I have read the comments regarding the safe keeping of stored water and have an appropriate container for it. I still have not read of anyone else doing this same thing. This is going to be our only water source for some time. I am still unsure what specific device will suck water from a trailer and pump it into a small plumbing system. Any ideas or advice? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-29-2015, 07:12 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekender View Post
I have a 600 gallon potable water trailer . . . Can I utilize a shallow well jet pump and pressure tank to distribute water to a small bathroom and sink?
You could use the set up that you mention or, here's a simpler option:

* RV style "on demand" pump. Here's a 12v pump example. It includes a demand switch - when you open a faucet or flush the toilet the pressure drop will activate the pump.

Use a garden hose connector on the inlet of the pump and simply drop the end of the supply hose into the tank.

And . . .just to meddle a bit .. . before sinking a bunch of money into a well, you might consider rain harvesting. Here's a rain water harvesting book that we Texan taxpayers have paid for which tells you just about everything you would need to know.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:37 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Just as Randall said you could put together an RV system. That is what I am doing.
Use a small pressure tank. http://www.sears.com/waterworker-ht-...&blockType=G39