BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Building/Tools

Building/Tools Anything to do with construction, remodeling, etc.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:18 PM

I got ya...

Here we have a minimum lot size outside of town as a 3 acre minimum with various set backs from the lot lines, etc...

Minimum 5 acres for livestock, also set back for shelter/pasture/manure storage.

For permits here.

Septic from county Health $350 (plus, engineering/plan/perk $650)
Building permit from town $225 I believe (does not include electric/fire inspection)
Old 10-24-2015, 03:58 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Wow !! Makes me glad I live where I do. In the country here the land is yours here . No permits. No inspections, no codes . Period .
Old 10-25-2015, 11:58 AM

Having Codes is a mixed thing.

From my experience both with and with out Codes, I am absolutely in favor of some Codes.

I have seen too many septic systems that don't work and cause waster water issues and family health issues.

I have seen poor building across the board: Improper headers, poor/improper installation of doors, missing essentials of railings and other basic safety items.

I have seen too many people do poor electric that causes fire and people have died.

I know this is all negative, and I am the last one to say we need to protect people that are Ignorant...but many people who actually Live in these homes are at risk due to poor construction (not too mention these homes do not last long, have safety issues, structure issues, and usually have huge energy wasting issues)

It really does matter if you don't have enough nails at the proper spacing and the right size nails when you put down plywood. Just a fact.

Codes are good to a point, yes they can get out of hand. I challenged a code in my Town...and I was intent on not only changing it for me, but for all...took a lot of work and time...but it is now changed and will stream line the permit process/save people money/save a waste of resources/save heating-cooling costs...It was worth the effort for myself and those that follow and removes a layer of Govt.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:33 AM

Meanwhile, back to the frustrations working & long commutes. This last Sunday was a good example:

My two carpenter buddies, who owe me some favors, and I drove the 3.5 hrs up to the property, hopefully to finish siding the second gable, put up the last two sheets & window on the front, and frame up & cut in the five doors.

But: we found we were one sheet short. It's a 40 minute drive to the lumber yard, so we decided to just work on the doors. Ready to put on the hinges of the first one framed up, I went to use the new electric drill I had just bought, tired of wearing down batteries on the old cordless one, I stupidly didn't buy an after-market bit. Sure enough, the supplied Chinese piece of #@$% stripped itself after only six screws were placed. Didn't have another one.

Oh, well. We'll finish cutting the other doors. Went to re-start the generator and the spring on the pull rope broke. Only planning to work for another hour or so anyways, we decided not to mess with it now.

Meanwhile, the valve stem on the tractor started to leak ballast fluid. (Not too bad: it's only flat on the bottom) If it's a tubeless, I can replace the stem without breaking the bead, but, upon further examination, it's a tube tire. I'll need to bring my 3/4in drive tools back up next week to get it off and bring it in for repair. (Let the pros risk damaging it.)

As if that wasn't enough, on the way home, the Tahoe, pulling the 28 ft horse trailer I use to transport supplies & tools, started missing like crazy (turns out the distributor cap went bad). The outcome of that trip, now turned into a 4 hr+ adventure, was not at all certain en route. That vehicle only has 199,300 miles on it and it's already starting to get annoying little problems.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:15 AM

I understand. It's like the 1.5 month fix for the tractor hydraulic system that would have taken 60 minute if I was in town.

It is frustrating.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:42 PM

Swamp cedar I mainly have read the stories of people in the tiny home movement. Their houses deemed not livable due to size and other off grid people getting water from streams have caught grief. Part of me would like to say the hell with ya's and do what I want and perhaps if I was loaded I would but I plan to follow every rule so the inspectors or county or whoever will be happy and leave me the heck alone.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:48 PM

Sounds like a rough day doc. It's always somethin..
Old 12-01-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadygrove View Post
..... would like to say the hell with ya's and do what I want and perhaps if I was loaded I would.... .
The problem with that is that you'd have to stay loaded all the time to continue living that way..... hey! I'm starting to like that plan!