BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 10-18-2014, 01:26 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default New 9mm

The north 40 outfitters (used to be the big R store) had a sale on a Hi-point 9mm. It is kind of a no frills 9mm but when I shot it for the first time it was pretty good.And for 129 dollars, not to bad. I like the grip and it's built like a tank.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:00 AM

Congrats on new toy....

Range report..... WITH PICTURES.... please...

Enjoy
Old 10-18-2014, 06:15 PM

Nice. I've always been partial to simplicity.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:43 PM

I haven't shot the pistols yet, but I have the Hi-Point 995TS 9mm carbine, and I absolutely LOVE it...

The only drawback I can find is the 10 round magazines. It shoots everything I feed it and is plenty accurate for a handgun round carbine.

Enjoy it!

RJ
Old 10-18-2014, 11:48 PM

Double post... sorry...
Old 10-19-2014, 10:38 PM

No pictures but I put a paper plate at 30 feet and got 7 of the 8 rounds on the plate. One center punch and the rest just on the plate.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:25 PM

What model 9mm s the high point? I'd like to check one out.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offgridbob View Post
No pictures but I put a paper plate at 30 feet and got 7 of the 8 rounds on the plate. One center punch and the rest just on the plate.
Gets the job done!
Old 10-22-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickathome View Post
What model 9mm s the high point? I'd like to check one out.
Here are the 9mm pistols:

http://hi-pointfirearms.com/Hi-Point...M_handgun.html
Old 10-22-2014, 01:02 PM

Wow, No offense but that is one ugly pistol....It seems pretty heavy oo. Don't think I'd want one for a carry piece. I've done some research since the last post and it seems Hi Points aren't regarding too highly, and don't hold their value well at all. These guns mght be the ticket for someone on a budget or for someoe who wants a firearm but doesn't expect to shoot it much. For me though I'd definitely consider something else.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
.It seems pretty heavy oo.
It's heavy because it's a straight "blow-back" design, which is normally only used with cartridges .380 and smaller.

It relies on the weight of the slide to handle all the recoil, and to keep the breech closed long enough for the bullet to exit the barrel
Old 10-22-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickathome View Post
Wow, No offense but that is one ugly pistol....It seems pretty heavy oo. Don't think I'd want one for a carry piece. I've done some research since the last post and it seems Hi Points aren't regarding too highly, and don't hold their value well at all. These guns mght be the ticket for someone on a budget or for someoe who wants a firearm but doesn't expect to shoot it much. For me though I'd definitely consider something else.

Nick,
I know where you are coming from, if you read alot of forums you will hear tons of negative stuff posted. Unless you read those posts of people who actually have one. They are ugly, they are heavy, they are NOT ideal for CCW; but the VAST majority of people who actually own one will tell you that they go BANG! every time.

Plus they are often found under $150.00. I am keeping my eye out for one to go with my Hi-Point Carbine, but it's not at the top of my list.

RJ
Old 10-22-2014, 11:03 PM

Yes it is butt ugly and is only a little bit heavier then my Springfield armory 9mm. I would not have any problem using it as a hammer then take it out and shoot it. It was never meant to be a panty wast pistol. I carry it in the woods while burning and cutting wood. If it gets a little dirty, Oh Well.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:28 PM

I just bought one for $128.
Heavy and ugly but it works every time so far.
It came with a ghost ring and it puts the rounds on target.
I will live in the console of my truck.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:14 PM

I own the .45 version. It is made in a different factory from the 9mm, by the same parent company. I have never had a misfire, or a jam with it. And it is quite accurate. It fits 10 in the magazine. The recoil is minimal. I have shot +p ammo with no problems. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Glocks aren't too pretty either, but they are an awesome pistol. I'm not gonna say that the Hipoint is awesome, but it gets the job done IMHO.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:14 AM
Master Pontificator

I don't know how I feel about having to defend myself with a $130 dollar pistol? The Hi-Point isn't really, 'built like a tank'; it's essentially, 'pot metal' frame and slide are built extra thick and extra heavy because its major components are (as I understand it ....... ) made from much lower quality, much less serviceable, powdered metal castings.

In order to significantly reduce the cost, Hi-Point uses low grade, 'pot metal' castings rather than the machinable, resulfurized steel that Glock, GmbH/Inc. uses; or the investment grade, Series 400, stainless steel castings that Sturm-Ruger uses in their handguns.

Yes, Hi-Point pistols DO seem to be gaining in popularity; and I see them being increasingly used on firing lines, as well as repeatedly praised on several different IGF's; but, I strongly suspect it's the price, and the simple fact that they (usually, but not always) go, 'Bang!' that are the prime motivators behind Hi-Point's growing acceptance.

I'm a certified Pistol Instructor, and an occasional R.O. Consequently I spend a lot of time on various small arms firing lines. I got 'a tell ya: In the past 10 or 12 years I've never seen any Hi-Point firearm consistently fire - without experiencing any sort of stoppage - for as long as one entire hour. None!

Do Hi-Point firearms shoot? Yes! They don't shoot well, though; and, in my wildest dreams, I can't see ever trusting my life to one. As a range gun? Fine! I could agree to that. As a farm plinker and part-time, 'rodent buster'? Fine, again; but as a serious self-defense gun that I'd be willing to trust my life to? Ahh ....... never!
Old 12-30-2015, 06:55 PM

Smile New 9mm

If this was the old west Stinger, I'd probably call you out in the dirt street in front of the Saloon and we'd see whether my C-9 went bang. (Just jokin of course) Stinger, you are what I call a "purest." and that gives your comments a lot of weight. So, why not use your expertise to help those of us who can't afford a "Desert Eagle" class of gun to become better users of the gun that we can afford. How about it.
I have been reading other blogs where they describe changes that can be made at home to make the Hi-Point a better, smoother, more accurate weapon. I don't know about other Hi-Point owners, I sure would thank you loud and clear.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:46 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiehal View Post
If this was (sic) the old west (sic) Stinger, I'd probably call you out in the dirt street in front of the Saloon and we'd see whether my C-9 went bang. (Just jokin (sic) of course)

Stinger, you are what I call a "purest." and that gives your comments a lot of weight. So, why not use your expertise to help those of us who can't afford a "Desert Eagle" class of gun to become better users of the gun that we can afford. How about it.

I have been reading other blogs where they describe changes that can be made at home to make the Hi-Point a better, smoother, more accurate weapon. I don't know about other Hi-Point owners, I sure would thank you loud and clear.
Well, ....... the problem you've brought to my door, today, is that (to quote the old adage), 'You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!' Which, I suppose, rather than making me a, 'purist' makes me more of a, 'realist', instead.

Look, rather than playing the, 'sympathy card' let's both be realistic - OK! If you can afford a reliable computer then you can also afford a fully functional self-defense pistol. No offense, but, if you choose to rely upon a Hi-Point pistol for self-defense then what business is that of mine? I was good enough to share my field experience on this topic with others; and, whether you agree or disagree, is entirely your own subjective decision.

As P. T. Barnum once said, 'There's a sucker born every minute!' Far be it from me to interfere. You're welcome to do whatever you like; and if that includes figuring out how to make a troublesome Hi-Point, or Glock, or whatever run properly then all the more power to you!

In further consideration of your comments I think your objection (as nicely couched as it is) would be more constructively put if you were to say something like, 'Why not tell others how to determine what a good self-defense pistol should be?'

Had you done this, then, my answer would NOT have included a recommendation for any sort of Hi-Point firearm. In fact, I'll be even more straightforward with you than you've been with me: At the present time I'm concerned with what I perceive to be an alarming decline in the overall general quality of brand new firearms.

Moreover, I suspect that American gun manufacturers and/or purveyors of firearms have - at long last - begun to capitalize on the profit making potential of building planned obsolescence into their products in much the same way that the automotive industry deliberately does exactly the same thing.

('Why', you might ask? I suppose that it's just human nature, a sign of the times in which we presently live, and the character of, 'the beast' that dwells within all men's hearts - A, 'beast' which perpetually marries itself to the external influence, regulation, and control of one form of spiritual influence, or another - Cohesive influences which are always demonstrably greater than the lesser, more dependent, and more easily swayed self alone.)
Old 12-31-2015, 11:53 AM

Red face new 9 mm

Sorry if I stepped on your toes. I was merely trying to put a positive spin on the subject. Like I said earlier, I drive a Honda Civic. It gets me from point A to point B. My dream car has always been a "Jag", but until I can afford one ( maybe in the next life) I'll keep on put-putting along with my Honda and banging away with my Hi Point C-9. At 85 yrs of age, what life I have left is too short to be arguing, so I guess I'll go back out on the corner and collect some more money for the kids in the Shriners Hospitals. Again, Sorry!
Old 12-31-2015, 07:43 PM
Master Pontificator

Hal, (It is, 'Hal' isn't it?) I drive a Hyundai; and, you've only got me by 13 years; so, all in all, I'd say you're the one who is presently, 'ahead by a nose'! I'm, also, certain that I'll never see your present age; so, you've definitely got me there, too - OK.

All of the men, and many of the women, on my mother's side of the family were - and those who still remain are - members of the Masonic Order. Several of my uncles were Master Masons; and one of them is a past Imperial Potentate of the Shrine. His son (my first cousin) is a lifelong high ranking Shriner. So, if you don’t mind, how about cutting me a break?

Your question (or should I say, ‘demand’) is impossible for me to give a different answer to. I can’t change reality, and make Hi-Points either better than they are, or force Glock to return to their superior, Tenifer-treated, third generation pistols - The ones with the highly wear-resistant, hardened steel parts!

So, once again, how about cutting me a break! I’m NOT a, ‘gun snob’, OK; and, in many ways, I’m in the same boat as you are. If I were to have any suggestion for you, I’d recommend that you keep an eye out for: (1) a used second or third generation Glock which can be refurbished at home to, ‘like new’ condition; or, perhaps, (2) one of the old factory-blued, hard ordinance steel, Smith & Wesson revolvers which, should it need it, can also be refurbished to, 'like new' condition.

(The, ‘trick’ is to get to the widow BEFORE she goes to the gun shop, and (quite literally) starts giving all of the, ‘really good stuff’ away.)

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Stinger; 12-31-2015 at 07:53 PM.