BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Firearms/Weapons

Firearms/Weapons Firearms or other weapons issues that do not have a dedicated board.
PLEASE NOTE: These boards are for discussion only. Offers to buy, sell, or trade anything are prohibited.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:49 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default MECHTECH Pistol to Rifle conversion

Has anybody converted their pistol to a rifle. This companies sell the upper that you attach to your Lower Glock or 1911 to convert it to a rifle.

http://www.mechtechsys.com/index.php
Old 11-01-2015, 06:53 PM

Interesting concept.

For about the same money you might consider Kel Tec's Sub 2000.

This way, you have both guns available. The Sub 2K uses popular magazines. I enjoy mine. It's amazing how much better that round penetrates out of a 16.25 inch barrel!

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:59 PM

This has been around for a while I think..
As I recall it was considered unique, but never seemed to get real popular... Obviously sales enough to keep it available..

I would love to get my hands on one so I could see and handle the parts to see how it is engineered...

At different times I have got to fire a Marlin Camp 9 carbine, and a Ruger PC9 (?)... Both are no longer made.. Both were fun...

There are things available like the JRC (Just Right Carbine) Kel Tec like said.. I'm not sure how the hinge thing will stand up.. Evidently the hinge is OK..

Still a lot of money when AR and used Mini14 prices seem lower lately..

If I thought I needed the firepower, I'd go AK in a minute... But they are hard to find at any price it seems..

My 2 cents
Good luck with your project..
Old 11-08-2015, 12:48 AM
Master Pontificator

My comments are not meant to knock the product, but I have just never had much use for many things which can be converted or transitioned. A single shot rifle to shotgun platform as an only weapon might be doable, but I am afraid the rifle barrel would be in place when I needed the shotgun or vice versa. Therefore, I would much prefer to have both a single shot rifle AND single shot shotgun ready and available at all times, so I could choose the tool most needed in any given circumstance and not have to be trying to change the configuration in order to use the tool desired.

Now for those that like the convertible platforms, that is your decision and if you are happy with it that is all that matters.

Like Wyoming said, some things are enjoyable, like the Marlin Camp 9 & 45 and the Feather 9mm Carbine. The Hi-Point Carbines also look like they could be fun at the range too, but I have never had the pleasure to do more than hold and visually examine their carbines. They do look good for the cost.

It is was not for the expense, I'd take two of every variety, including the convertible ones. For free I could learn to enjoy them all!
Old 11-09-2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjr View Post

It is was not for the expense, I'd take two of every variety, including the convertible ones. For free I could learn to enjoy them all!
Agreed! Me too.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:15 PM

Default Mech-Tec

I bought one of the original ones many years ago for around $200. Mounted a 2x scope and it is surprisingly accurate.

As has been said, converting back and forth is not the virtue one might think, but if you have spare 1911's around making one a carbine makes more sense.

I just recently bought a Gen II Kel-Tec Sub2000 in 9mm(Glock magwell) and it is amazingly light and compact and with good sights. Only drawbacks are a crappy trigger, and they don't come in .45 ACP.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipehand View Post
Only drawbacks are a crappy trigger, and they don't come in .45 ACP.
That is one drawback that really bugs me.

Welcome Pipehand