BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Energy

Energy Energy topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:35 AM

Default Natural gas to Electricy

I have a gas well on my property and I do NOT use all the free gas I am allotted and want to know how to go about using the excess for a generator for home electric. It's an old farmhouse and looking for ideas and suggestion how to help cut my electric bill.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:15 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I have a 20KW Generac that runs on propane but it is just as easily. Set up to run on Natural gas- just matter of regulators and orifice size. Mine is back up but could be run full time.

I got mine at lowes. You can go to Generac web site for info .
Old 01-13-2016, 03:52 PM

Nice bonus to have available energy like that..

I wonder.... Can you sell back the amount of allotment you don't use to the gas utility ?? Like if you were to generate extra electricity, you could sell it back to the utility...

I'm sure you can find a natural gas powered backup generator, but to run that 24/7 will have it's own issues.. I'm sure it can be done, but maintenance, up keep, replacement will have to compete with cost per KW hour from the utility..

I would have a large work shop to do all my crafts/interests in 68* comfort 24/7..

Good luck...
Old 01-18-2016, 04:37 PM

We installed a 14kw Generac about 5 years ago after we went with out power for 10 days during an ice storm. It's a good system for backup power but if you wanted continuous use I think you would be better served with a "china diesel" as they just kind of idle along. I think Dave Duffy the publisher has one they use. We got our generator from Northern Tool and they had free shipping, this was before Lowes and Home Depot started carrying them. Ours does a good job other than the LCD screen is screwed up and they want almost $500.00 for a replacement module. Works fine just can't tell what it says. It has a low oil sensor which saved our rear end when it developed an oil leak that I didn't see. I went to see why it hadn't self tested and spotted all the oil, filter gasket had blown out. Guess it was telling me it was time for an oil change. No problems since. Good luck with yours.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:18 PM

Any gas engine can be fitted to run off natural gas it's just a matter of getting the fuel to air mixture right. You can buy kits to convert a lot of engines over or you can engineer your own way. I've worked on a couple of natural gas engines and the real surprising thing is at how much cleaner they are on the inside. There isn't hardly any carbon build up and the oil stays much cleaner. Now weather you have enough left over gas rights to justify the cost of a generator able for long continuous operations is the real question.

QGM
Old 01-23-2016, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickbowhntr View Post
I have a gas well on my property and I do NOT use all the free gas I am allotted and want to know how to go about using the excess for a generator for home electric. It's an old farmhouse and looking for ideas and suggestion how to help cut my electric bill.
First off, how much are your electric bills? Secondly, do you have any reasonable guess as to how long the gas well will produce?

These figures would help you see how quickly your investment would pay off. For example: if your electric bill is $200 per month and a generator installation costs $15,000 then your pay off is a little over 6 years out.

Things to consider:
* Even with "free" gas you're not going to run it full time so you'll need an automatic switch to select between generator and grid power.

* Instead of getting a big enough ginny to run the whole house, you could get a smaller one, sized to handle some specific circuits such as your heating/ac system, water well or something like that.

My natural gas "wealth" is now costing me money. We get royalties for our little patch of ground but the county decided that the gas is "property" which deserves to be taxed. Then, the county decides how much that property should be worth in the upcoming year, while ignoring the fact that the market is down the drain. So. . . . my tax check and my royalty checks are quickly moving toward a zero sum.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.