BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Building/Tools

Building/Tools Anything to do with construction, remodeling, etc.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:12 AM

Default Metal Bending

I've been looking into a metal bender for the home shop lately. Presently I use a vise or heat and a form, but it does get tiresome. I'm looking to make things a little easier for myself and maybe make some crafts for the misses. Easier to get a new tool that way.

I saw Northern had one for a decent price, but it looked like it was made overseas which I don't prefer. I found these ones which look to be made in the us : http://www.metalbendingtool.com/pro-...r/pro-2-bender

Anyone have any personal experience with them?

Thanks
Old 01-28-2016, 02:42 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Welcome Del..

Being retired from metal working for many years, I still do hobby things, mostly small farm tillage implements and other stuff.. I have been able to get by with light bending to date..

My thinking if I needed lighter material ornamental shapes anyone of the hand powered tools, much like you linked, would do a lot with some creative thinking.. Also a bench unit can easily be converted with a small hydraulic set up..

For bigger things and for my type of use, I would not be afraid to use a lower priced tube bender.. Depending on material shape the dies will quickly equal or be more than the cost of the bending unit.. But extremely useful... Also a vertical press with some simple (cheap or homemade) dies will do a lot part shapes well.. (think Harbor Freight, Northern Tool for hobby tools)

If you are in a "make a living" situation with these tools, definitely buy quality tools.. Even if used..

Be sure to post pictures of projects..
Good luck..