BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 09-02-2006, 11:44 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default daughter just spent $1300 on dog surgery...

Daughter and her boyfriend just BORROWED $1300 to have surgery on a dog they've only had about five months...the dog evidently swallowed a pair of one of my granddaughter's panties...he also swallowed a pair of socks but threw them up...

Most of you know that I am a regular animal nut....I love my animals so and grieve each and every time I loose one....

But I don't know about borrowing $1300 when she really doesn't have any money at all....at least boyfriend borrowed it in his name....

what do ya'll think about this....just wondering....
Old 09-02-2006, 11:51 PM
gypho

Default Re: daughter just spent $1300 on dog surgery...

I'm not sure what to say.

First, the dog is stupid. I guess that's the first thing. I had a dog that ate MOTH BALLS... of all things... and yes, he died. And he was dead before I knew it. To let one die such a horrible death would be cruel...

On the other hand.... I think I would have just had the dog put to sleep. He's obviously too stupid to know food from underwear. And I wouldn't have borrowed that kind of money to operate on him.... I'm sorry.... I just wouldn't have done it. That's too much money.

And last...... that doctor was a cheat. > I don't believe my Vet would have charged us that much. She should have asked around and gotten a second opinion, if she had any time at all to do so. Other than that, he'd have been put to sleep in a very humane and painless way.

JMHO.

gypho
Old 09-03-2006, 09:50 PM

My suggestion, when they called me before they got his grandfather to sign on the CARE loan type thing you can get with vets and dentists now---was to go ahead and let the vet put the dog to sleep....as you can see they didn't do that.

This was the vet she regularly uses with her animals....

Hunter is still in "intensive care" at the vet clinic but may get to go home tomorrow...

I don't know how in the world they will keep him from eating anything else weird....you can't watch a dog every minute of the day even if he is in the house with you....
Old 09-03-2006, 09:51 PM

Oh---and they are in Michigan so I don't know if vet bills there are like everything else seems to be....much higher than in Alabama.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Inactive Member

???

You don't mention if the vet x-rayed the dog, how big the underwear was, etc. Knowing how dogs are, I'd say there might be a good chance he would pass the drawers the natural way. I've seen some mighty peculiar things come out the south end of a dog!
Old 09-03-2006, 11:44 PM

They did do an x-ray and it showed that the panties had tried to pass but part were still in his stomach and part in his intestines...

Daughter got to set in on the surgery (she is the one who's a medic) and she said it was definately stuck...

Evidently the dog had swallowed them earlier in the week and had quit eating by Saturday....

I don't know why he threw the socks back up and "kept" the purple panties!

He is a big puppy, probably five months old and is some sort of Blue Heeler, German Shepherd mix I think.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:00 AM
nancy1340

Hopefully your daughter will keep clothes up where the puppy can't get to them.

Sounds like she needs to crate train her puppy.

Would I have given her the money? Probably not. If you can't afford to take care of it don't buy it.

But as a mom ya gotta do what ya gotta do. So no raggin' on you from me.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:28 AM

I say pop him a few laxitves and keep him oustide for a while. I had a pup eat a fishing hat (minus lures). We gave him some citriscell and poof I got my hat back.

I desided not to wear it anymore
Old 09-06-2006, 02:01 PM

Suzy I paid $500 last year for a C-section/spay on one of my cats. Lucky for me I have an understanding vet, he knocked off $50 or so and allowed me to leave post dated checks to be deposited at the beginning of each month. That's the most I've ever spent before.
Will cost over $300 to have my dog spayed because of her weight, the more they weigh the more anestetic it takes. Since I'm not on any type of public assistance program I'm not eligible for any of the free/low-cost spay/neuter programs here. Personally I think it would be nice if someone would do those on a sliding scale basis even if you aren't on public assistance. Since I live on just over a grand a month whenever I have something like this done it comes out of my grocery money.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:47 PM

I guess I'm just like your daughter. I've paid thousands of dollars in vet bills on my dog.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:30 PM

rather than "boxer 'n briefs" this one is "briefs in boxer!" I'm not making fun of this situation, but it was too good to resist. If your daughter is using your money to fix the situation, I'd say she needs to pay you back. I especially think that since the pup is only five months old, it's worth doing, but the pup needs to be better supervised. If you give your kid $1300 without her having to be accountable, she will have learned nothing. Good luck.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:07 AM

Suzy......I know the price seems high(I'm in Michigan),but up here they have cancer clinics for dogs and opthamalogists for horses.........and it's amazing what MSU can do too.

The surgery they did was a fairly complicated one,and I can see how the price would be so high,but YES I would have at least talked to one other vet(country vets BTW are cheaper than city vets)

A dog dumb enough to eat panties needs to be kept out of rooms where he can get into things,or better yet,crated when he's left alone.

I know I wouldn't have been able to pay for a surgery like that myself,but I'm sure part of it had to do with the vet telling them "he's so young,we can save him"some of them really do know how to pull your strings.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:44 AM

There's no way i'd have paid it. I would have tried to get him to pass it, and if it didn't happen fairly fast he would have went to puppy heaven.

Some folks will spend any amount on a pet, and others won't spend one dime.... I'm inbetween there someplace...

DM

Illegal immigration is ruining America, look what it has done to the White House.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:44 PM

DM,I know what you mean.I had a friend at one time,who's dog had that exact same surgery.........not once.....but THREE TIMES.......

That thing ate clothes,rocks,pieces of the driveway..........anything and everything.It was a small miracle that he made to age 9.

Of all things,the dog dies of cancer and not something caught in his intesines.......
Old 02-08-2007, 09:38 AM

None of my dogs has ever did this sort of thing, but yes we have paid a fortune for vet bills, our dogs are very valued family members.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:46 PM
Passed On

Looks like he needs a mussle until he grows up and can demand a better diet. Ha!
The dog we have has cost us a fortune in expensive dog food, and docs and medicine already. She has a cough and has to take medicine so she can breathe when she has a spell.
We've had her a year and just cant afford the expense.
We are trying to wean her to rice and ground turkey, and mix it with her regular food.

A question. A friend of mine has a 50 lb. dog who has a tumor and wants to know if there are any alternatives to surgey. What say you all. love, alma
It is real scarey.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:29 PM

It is a person's responsibility (IMHO) to take care of the medical needs of their dog. If you can't afford to do that you shouldn't have a dog. In many places it is the law.

It says great things about your daughter her boyfriend that they are showing the responsibility and devotion to their animal.

I wish them and their dog the best during the recovery.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:44 PM

Default Funny you should mention it

Our daughter was working in the Virgin Islands a few years ago. One day she and her boyfriend found a little dog limping along the beach. They took it to the Vet and found that it had worms, lice and a broken hip. A Thousand dollars later they had a dog of uncertain lineage (maybe part chihuahua-part Whippet), that is the most loving energetic dog I've ever seen. She lives with my wife and me and we love her like a child. We think she is just plain happy to be alive.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:55 PM

I salute your daughter for her well-developed sense of responsibility!

However, the comment below bothers me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
My suggestion, when they called me before they got his grandfather to sign on the CARE loan type thing
That is not the same as borrowing money. That means that she is unable to borrow money, which means that she has not been responsible with her own finances. THAT would concern me! Not that there is anything you can do about it.