BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Health

Health Any kind of health issue, alternative medicines, herbal and folk remedies, etc.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:01 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Winter Flab.....

What else can you call it ?? No matter how gently you approach the subject it is what it is..

Being an old guy now, retired for several years, and adjustment in life style that goes with all those changes, here is an observation..

It seems my summer/winter roll a coaster with that issue has turned to a toddler level thrill ride.. Pretty near a flat curve...

For the last 3-4 winters, by this time of mid winter my gain has stabilized at less than 5 lbs.. Nice to not have summer and winter jeans anymore.. I guess I have to attribute a lot of this, again, to a much smaller change in lifestyle from summer to winter..

I'm not going to complain about this small a change.. The idea being as long as it stays a small change.. I'm sure age makes a difference... Also sure it is different for girls as..... well..... girls are different...

I have wondered a time or two... Wait a minute.. What else is going on that I seem to be catching a break on this issue ?? But there don't seem to be any other issues, so don't create problems where there aren't any..

Anyone else noticed a trend ??
Old 01-22-2016, 07:41 PM

Maybe you've gotten so big thru the yrs that a 5lb change isn't noticeable anymore?

I'm about 10 lb heavier in the winter: more time spent close to the refrigerator when there's less to do, plus, I tend to lose my appetite in the hot weather.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:11 PM

Refrigerator, toaster, coffee pot..... All are too close together it seems...
Only a step and a half over to the microwave... And you got a snack in hand..

All through my working life, I've always done quite physical/seasonal things.. So I have endured a roll-a-coaster on the scale..

Maybe I have finely settled into a steady rate of exertion year around.. Yes.. I am a big guy, always have been.. But maintained a quite active life.. I was told once by another big guy.. You don't move like a big guy... Meaning I moved like an average person.. Anyway, I guess that is a big part of the joint pains I have now.. Doing the crooked old man walk for the first hour or so in the morning until things start moving again..

Yes... A 5lb change on me either way is not as noticeable as on many..

Take care..
Old 01-23-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
. .. Doing the crooked old man walk for the first hour or so in the morning until things start moving again..

I'm just average size, and still pretty spry for my age...once I get moving. I need to plan ahead when sitting down--I'll need a 20 ft runway for take-off when I get up again. I look like that famous picture of the chimp evolving into cavemen then humans as I try to get going.

Why didn't God design us with grease fittings on our joints?
Old 01-26-2016, 05:55 PM

Grease fittings - that would be nice. I'm younger than the two of you, but I am starting to understand and have empathy for your joint issues.

I typically gain about 20 lbs, starting from Early Winter (End of hunting season) then start to lose it in the spring.

During the winter, I spend a lot more time behind the keyboard or reading (work and play) than the other seasons, so my physical activity is significantly lower.

So Wyo, I still have both winter and summer jeans.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:19 PM

Default Perfect timing

I just re-started working out on Thurs. (did 15 mins on the exercise bike), Today I did 25 sit ups, and then 20 mins in the treadmill. The reason is, All the weight I had managed to loose last summer has now come back. I had lost 16 pounds, and 14 managed to find me again. Most of it from Thanksgiving to End of Jan.

My reasons are simple. In the winter time I have more time, and I love to cook. I've been trying out lots of the recipes in Jackie Clay's pantry cook book.

I suppose another reason is, it's cold and dark out, so I spend more time in bed. Being retired does have some really nice benefits.

I do hope that when spring arrives, and it's time to double dig the garden, the pounds will again fall off. Double digging is hard work, and I better get in shape before I do it, or I might drop dead of a heart attack.

Bear
Old 02-03-2016, 11:09 AM
Master Pontificator

I don't have access to a scale, but i am sure i gained 30 LBs this winter. didn't set up the solar array on my new place so i have a total lack of electric-just enough for lights. only use computer when i go out and thats infrequent. was so cold january i didn't do much more than eat and read. last week was good so i was out working. but that month of eating and reading wasn't good.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
I don't have access to a scale, but i am sure i gained 30 LBs this winter. didn't set up the solar array on my new place so i have a total lack of electric-just enough for lights. only use computer when i go out and thats infrequent. was so cold january i didn't do much more than eat and read. last week was good so i was out working. but that month of eating and reading wasn't good.
You're the winner so far!

But, winter ain't over yet, so I may just catch up to you. Going to be a guilt driven spring work-fest when it eventually comes around.