BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals

Animals Creatures and issues without a dedicated board.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:13 PM

Default Churning butter

I am going to try to cross post this in food, too.
I am looking for a more efficient way to churn butter than using a blender. Right now I have a surplus of cream and having to churn 2 cups at a time is very time consuming. The replica Dazey churns as well as the crockery model in Lehmans' are both out of my price range. Any other ideas?
Old 02-03-2016, 03:13 PM

Default Butter Churns

I'm not sure where you would get them, but when I was a Tadpole my Grandma had a 2 or 3 gallon jar with a crank built into the lid. The crank had beaters like a hand mixer and she could turn out a good sized glob of butter in no time. Sure went good with biscuits and jelly. Maybe you could try surfin for "antique Butter Churns." Good Luck.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:25 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Since you have the cream to spare.....
It might be a good idea to invest in a good quality machine... Here is one example..

http://www.amazon.com/Buttermeister-...c+butter+churn
--
Like said.. There are number of antique machines available.. One would be nice for a home display or an occasional use...
However...
Sound like you need a good quality, dependable machine for the amount of cream you have available..
--
If you are gravity/time separating your cream you may find you have more water left in your butter than you would with mechanical separating your cream... Or as I seem to remember from way back as a kid....

Good luck
Old 02-04-2016, 12:31 PM

Smile

Well I'll be durned! When did they put a motor on my Grandma's churn? After visiting yesterday I surfed a little and found several "antique" churns and with them some really greedy prices. Hope you find the right solution.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:13 AM

Default Necessity is the mother of invention

My Mother has a one gallon churn, and it has a large glass square sided jar. On the top, is a hand crank similar to an old egg beater.

My suggestion is to try to make your own churn. If you can get an old egg beater (or gear box of some type), you just need to form a wooden paddle down in the jar (or crock, or food grade pail). You could even use an old electric hand mixer, and basically make your own wooden paddle in place of one of the beaters. You don't want to spin it too fast or you end up with whipped cream instead of butter. (but if you get whipped cream, make pumpkin pie) I've even seen people churn butter by putting cream into a quart jar and simply shaking it.

Some old style churns looked like a laundry "stomper", in a wooden barrel. I've also seen a wooden barrel churn, where the barrel was on a stand with an axel running through it. Basically the barrel turned and cream tumbled inside till it was butter and buttermilk.

The point of my rambling is this: if you understand that the agitation of the cream is what makes the butter, all you need to do is find a way to agitate the cream, at room temperature. You could even use a modern ice cream maker, but skip the ice bath, and that would make butter.

Good luck.

Bear
Old 02-05-2016, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
Since you have the cream to spare.....
It might be a good idea to invest in a good quality machine... Here is one example..

http://www.amazon.com/Buttermeister-...c+butter+churn
--
Like said.. There are number of antique machines available.. One would be nice for a home display or an occasional use...
However...
Sound like you need a good quality, dependable machine for the amount of cream you have available..
--
If you are gravity/time separating your cream you may find you have more water left in your butter than you would with mechanical separating your cream... Or as I seem to remember from way back as a kid....

Good luck
Was looking at that link. I think a person could easily go to a surplus store (like my Axeman in St. Paul), grab a motor, a variable speed switch, a paint mixer (Fleet Farm), a jar from the basement... and you would be good to go.

Bet you could easily make something like that for $50 or less, and probably have a better setup.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachad View Post
Was looking at that link. I think a person could easily go to a surplus store (like my Axeman in St. Paul), grab a motor, a variable speed switch, a paint mixer (Fleet Farm), a jar from the basement... and you would be good to go.

Bet you could easily make something like that for $50 or less, and probably have a better setup.
===
I never allowed myself to go to Axeman more than once a year.. As I always came home with WAY more stuff than you could imagine...

Be sure to post a picture of how your invention turns out.....
Good luck...
Old 02-06-2016, 12:14 AM

Would an ice cream maker work?
You can get those for less than $50.
Hand crank or electric.
I can remember my Grandma sitting in her rocking chair and shaking a quart jar full of cream until she had butter.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backlash View Post
Would an ice cream maker work?
You can get those for less than $50.
Hand crank or electric.
I can remember my Grandma sitting in her rocking chair and shaking a quart jar full of cream until she had butter.

That was what I was thinking. I think if you put "aged" cream into an electric ice cream maker without ice, etc. I think it would make butter. We used to use our Kitchen Aid mixer to make small quantities, and we even on occasion made butter by accident when we let whipped cream go a little long. I have also heard of people just shaking a jar while they were watching TV or something and made butter, but I haven't done that myself.