BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 01-06-2016, 06:06 PM
Master Pontificator

Default advice on doxie dog needed?

My daughter got a two year old male Dachshund dog for Christmas , first male dog we ever had, he gets walked outside about every two hours, but this dog wants to use the leg of my bed to wet on.

I moped the area with ammonia and he still wets there, any advice on how to stop him from doing this.
Thanks
Old 01-06-2016, 08:37 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Ammonia isn't going to help - may actually make it worse. It may smell bad to you but to him it probably smells like another dog has peed there and he feels the need to re-mark his territory.

First things first - working with a 2 year old dog that may have some bad habits coming into your home. It is all about behavior modification.

1st step to the behavior modification is praise - tons and tons of praise when he goes go pee outside. Yelling, screaming, or worse is more detrimental to dogs than not doing anything at all.

Next part of the modification is that when he does pee on the bed foot, wipe it off quickly (good clean up later), take the rag or paper towel outside with him, and when he is sniffing it outside tell him he is a good boy. Again if/when he pees outside lots and lots of praise. Even leave those rags/paper towels outside for a few days.

Now the next thing needed done is to get rid of his pee scent totally - or the best that you can. I've found only one product that works which I am linking here called Nature's Miracle:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_9gm7eldxkc_b

Yes, kind of expensive but it does work. Until you can totally eliminate his pee smell from that foot it will be nearly impossible to modify his behavoir.

And being a male dog makes no difference - unless he is not neutered. If not neutered get that done ASAP.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:41 PM

You can use a dog repellant spray from the store. Or perhaps vinegar will work. I heard somewhere that it worked for cats.

Every time he lifts his leg he Is saying "MINE"! The trick is to get him marking the outside instead of the inside!
Old 01-07-2016, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Some dogs don't like to go if they are on a leash. Can you provide a fenced in area for him to roam alone?

If you've had dogs inside in the past, chances are you will never break him. It's in their genes to mark their spot, especially being 2 yrs. old and being in a new place..

Spray the area with a mixture of bleach and water. Not so strong to bleach things out but strong enough to smell. (3 parts water/1 part bleach) Dogs don't like bleach and it will kill the smell after a few applications..

Could get a new bed and set the old one in the back yard. Perhaps a plastic fire hydrant.. (Just funnin' ya..)

Trying to break an older dog of bad habits is going to be a chore. We had an older male Doxie that did the same thing, except he liked cardboard boxes. I built a small dog run off the back door so he and the other Doxie female (both fixed) could free roam. Prior to that, we leashed them. Both were kennel dogs. The fenced in area worked! Going outside had a new meaning and we praised them every time they did their thing..

Good luck..
*Robert Frost*
Old 01-07-2016, 09:36 PM
Master Pontificator

Thanks for the info, I am going to try these things. I would be beside myself if a dog wet on my mattress, but the dog is so short and my bed sets so high that he can't reach it or jump up on my bed, thank goodness for high rise beds.
Thanks
Old 02-08-2016, 02:35 PM
Master Pontificator

I took the dog to the Vet and got him fixed and then spent the next week training him by keeping him on a leash beside me and taking him outside to wet every two hours. I washed the leg of my bed down with bleach spray then sprayed it with pet urine remover, the dog no longer stops at my bed leg nor does he wet anywhere in the house. My daughter says I made a girl out this dog because he no longs hikes his leg to wet on the trees, but squats to wet now.
Thanks