BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial

Financial Anything money-related that does not have a dedicated board.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:04 PM
Master Pontificator

Talking Keep it all.

It's my own fault that I'm in the mess I'm in, so I thought I'd warn you not to make the mistake I did.

My ex and I met in Ventura, Ca. and married in Visalia, Ca.

For years I've kept the marriage license and divorce papers, but several months ago I was purging old papers and I clearly remember throwing out the marriage license. Who needs it? Social Security has a copy, why hang onto it?

Well, I had no idea I was breaking the law when I neglected to notify SS when I turned 62. I was supposed to do that so they could take some of my benefit from one bucket and put it in another. I'm going to be 64 soon. Oops. There would not have been an increase at that time.

I called them recently to see what my benefit would be when I am finally old enough (66) to get half of his hefty benefit. I learned I could get a reduced amount now since I'm over 62. Whoopie! All they needed was my MARRIAGE license and divorce decree. The divorce papers I have, the marriage license I have to get from California.

I called the wrong county, they sent me an application. I filled it out, got it notarized and also enclosed a money order made out to the wrong county along with the required SASE.

They sent it all back.

So I called the correct county who said they will send me their application which I can then fill out and mail back along with the corrected money order, the already notarized application from the wrong county and the SASE.

Wonderful. Then I get a call from SS today. The lady wanted to let me know she's been getting my voicemail updates but unless I can get the paperwork to her by Feb. 12, my claim will be denied. But! She says they're behind, so I'm hoping they're really slow due to holidays, illness, vacations and maybe weather.

We're talking about a $200 a month increase. My ex is not in good health, so if he dies before I turn 66, I will automatically get half, no effort required on my part.

California to Texas and back again, multiple times. That's very well traveled paperwork that all could have been avoided if I had just not thrown away that piece of paper.

SS alreadyhas a copy of the license because I had to provide it originally, I think they make us jump through these hoops unnecessarily.

So, learn from me. Keep every single official document you get until you die. Your heirs will hate you, but by then, you won t care!! 😃
Old 01-28-2016, 08:58 PM

You'd think the divorce decree would be enough since that states when and where you were married.

To claim on Social Security on an ex-spouse, you have had to be married for at least 10 years.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:26 PM
Master Pontificator

I wish the divorce decree stated the date of marriage but mine doesn't. I was married 22 years.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:05 AM
Master Pontificator

When I needed a certified birth certificate, I did all the paperwork, got notarized, etc. and sent it to the county where I was born. When they received it I got a call that due to an error in their records, I had to get the certificate from the state. However, they forwarded all my information to the state so I didn't have to do anything else.

It seems to me California could have forwarded the application from one county to another, but maybe that's expecting too much of .gov.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:32 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna View Post
When I needed a certified birth certificate, I did all the paperwork, got notarized, etc. and sent it to the county where I was born. When they received it I got a call that due to an error in their records, I had to get the certificate from the state. However, they forwarded all my information to the state so I didn't have to do anything else.

It seems to me California could have forwarded the application from one county to another, but maybe that's expecting too much of .gov.
I was hoping they would do that too, but one must follow the rules without question! No executive decision making allowed. I met the deadline with 2 days to spare. I've decided we're all being forced to pay for priority mail, and eventually that's all there will be available. Somehow, my most recent Amazon order was lost in transit, so the replacement was sent overnight. The people ahead of me in line at the post office were all sending mail and packages by priority mail. The clerk told me that for letters, a stamp will get it there about as fast, but I don't believe it. My docs were returned to me quickly. Now the waiting begins.