BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 11-16-2015, 10:38 PM

Default Pickled Beets Recipe from old Ball Jar CanningBook

Does anyone have the old Ball Jar Recipe for Pickled Beets. I have misplaced my Ball Jar Canning Book. Can't spend anymore time today looking for it. Thanks for the help. My beets are cut up and waiting.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:38 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I don't have the Ball book but this is similar to what I've done, but added some allspice to the pickling mix also.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/pickled_beets.html

Preparing and Canning Pickled Vegetables
Pickled Beets

7 lbs of 2- to 2-1/2-inch diameter beets
4 cups vinegar (5 percent)
1-1/2 teaspoons canning or pickling salt
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
2 cinnamon sticks
12 whole cloves
4 to 6 onions (2- to 2-1/2-inch diameter) if desired

Yield: About 8 pints

Please read Using Boiling Water Canners before beginning. If this is your first time canning, it is recommended that you read Principles of Home Canning.

Procedure: Trim off beet tops, leaving 1 inch of stem and roots to prevent bleeding of color. Wash thoroughly. Sort for size. Cover similar sizes together with boiling water and cook until tender (about 25 to 30 minutes). Caution: Drain and discard liquid. Cool beets. Trim off roots and stems and slip off skins. Slice into 1/4-inch slices. Peel and thinly slice onions. Combine vinegar, salt, sugar, and fresh water. Put spices in cheesecloth bag and add to vinegar mixture. Bring to a boil. Add beets and onions. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove spice bag. Fill jars with beets and onions, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Add hot vinegar solution, allowing 1/2-inch headspace.

Adjust lids and process according to the recommendations in Table 1.

Variation: Pickled whole baby beets. Follow above directions but use beets that are 1- to 1-1/2 inches in diameter. Pack whole; do not slice. Onions may be omitted.
Table 1. Recommended process time for Pickled Beets in a boiling-water canner.
Process Time at Altitudes of
Style of Pack Jar Size 0 - 1,000 ft 1,001 - 3,000 ft 3,001 - 6,000 ft Above 6,000 ft
Hot Pints or Quarts 30 min 35 40 45

This document was adapted from the "Complete Guide to Home Canning," Agriculture Information Bulletin No. 539, USDA, revised 2009.

Reviewed November 2009.

top ^
Old 03-04-2016, 11:45 PM

Default using the pressure canner to cook beets

One thing I found, and it seems to work well, is use a pressure canner/cooker to cook the beets. As before, leave 1 inch of stem and roots on beets. Put several inches of water in the canner, and then fill no higher than 2/3rds with beets to be cooked. Put on the lid and weight, bring to 15 pounds of pressure and hold for 15 mins, then cool until pressure goes to 0, and it's safe to open. Then peel and process the beets per normal.

I find this goes much faster - especially when the beets are large (tennis ball or bigger) Also since you are steaming the beets, they tend not to loose as much color.

My favorite pickled beet recipe is
2 cups water,
2 cups vinegar,
2 cups sugar (or I use honey since I am a bee keeper, and have LOTs of honey to use)
1 T pickling spices
1/2 t. canning salt.

Yum yum.

Bear