BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Auto/Truck/Other Transportation

Auto/Truck/Other Transportation If you use it to get from here to there, this is the place to talk about it and how to fix it.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:18 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default 2004 gmc envoy front end noise

I got a 2004 gmc envoy 4wd. It started making a noise in front wheels area. Speed up more noise. Not a lot but it was something new. Turn right and it got louder That sure sounded like left wheel bearing . So I bought a new Timken wheel hub assembly, along with a 35 mm socket for the axle nut.
Noise still there . It's kinda like a real shallow rumble strip and I can feel slight vibration on steering wheel. . Now it makes no difference right turn or left turn.

Changed out /topped off transfer case fluid . No difference.

Tried rotating tires thinking maybe one was delaminating. No difference
Oh the rotors and pad are new.
No luck.

Anyone got any ideas. Sure hate to go to stealer dealer .
Old 03-23-2016, 08:47 AM

CV joint ready to go out?

Maybe the transfer case is still the problem: changing lube wouldn't correct it if parts were already wearing out?

I've got a Tahoe with 200K+ on it and the transfer case (4WD rarely used) is the only major repair it ever needed.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:51 PM

These things make me crazy. The only thing I can think of is to spray some break cleaner on the rotors (inside and out) you might just have some grit stuck between the rotor and pad. Some pads have a metal finger that alerts you when the pads need replaced, maybe one of those got bent in during the install. Good luck
Old 03-26-2016, 02:05 PM

Turned out ut was the right side. So much for the idea of noise getting louder when you turn one way. I got to the point of being able to change out a wheel hub assembly in a hour.
- took the one I did on the left side on premis I that I had botched it first time--no change still got louder on right turn indicative of bad left side.

- went out bought another and replaced the new left side on the idea that I got a bad one right of the box - no change

- replaced right side problem fixed

Some info for those of you that may have the same trouble .
I bought Timkin first time based on all advice I could find. $146 on line . Turned out it was made in South Korea
I talked to a mechanic who is very trustworthy. He said only way he diagnoses is to put on lift and turn fast . And get you cant trust sound when driving/ hiw right he was.
He advised buy duralast . I got one auto zone 106 and they give 10% veterans discount . It was made in China .
Old 03-28-2016, 01:26 AM

I just had both sides changed on my 06 Isuzu Acsender which is the same truck as your's just a different grille. Guy who did mine said always get the best quality bearings you can because the low quality ones are only good for about 6 months. He said he learned the hard way after changing the ones on his Trailblazer twice in 6 months lol.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher330 View Post
I just had both sides changed on my 06 Isuzu Acsender which is the same truck as your's just a different grille. Guy who did mine said always get the best quality bearings you can because the low quality ones are only good for about 6 months. He said he learned the hard way after changing the ones on his Trailblazer twice in 6 months lol.
Everything I read or heard said same thing. Buy only Timkin but when I got it and found it was Asian made and then our best local mechanic said buy autozone duralast , also made in Asia and a lot cheaper I went with duralast on the second.
He told me the biggest thing is to make sure the axle it is torqued to specs as that can cause early failure.

Auto zone also rents two uncommon tools ( Hub puller and 35mm deep well socket at no charge and give a 10% veterans discount.( they also sell Timken)
Total cost to me both sides $246.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:42 PM

Shall we wish each other good luck on having the new bearings live long?
Old 03-31-2016, 11:30 PM

Keep our fingers crossed. my envoy only has 109k on it.
I kept the 35mm socket and Plan on checking the axle nut torque after a bit.
I saw in the Timkin box it said no air wrenches. I wonder what shop mechanics us. Glad I did it myself . Takes about 90 minutes.