BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Education/Homeschool

Education/Homeschool Homeschooling, adult education, teaching self-reliance, and anything else education-related.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:32 AM
Master Pontificator

Default common core

I spoke with lady who has a master degree in education, she told me that she was unable to help her children with their math homework because she didn't understand the common core math or new math, what ever it is called.

If common core is so difficult to understand, why are so may schools using the common core curriculum, it is used in the local school here. If my daughter should return to public school she would not know how to do it and that concerns me..

Have any of you introduced common core or taught common core in homeschooling your children, and is it as difficult as this lady states it is?
Thanks
Old 04-03-2015, 11:20 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

There is a discussion on that subject here (although the title doesn't say so)

http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/v...ad.php?t=34589
Old 04-03-2015, 07:07 PM

Why in the world would you put her back into the gov't. schools when you have rescued her from them?
Old 04-04-2015, 12:31 PM

The problem with establishing official govt "minimum standards" in any endeavor is that they quickly become THE standard any nobody ever advances beyond them anymore. Mediocrity becomes the accepted goal.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:19 PM

Personally, I don't think Common Core math is that much more difficult to understand. However, instead of being "more difficult" it is definitely more complicated in that is requires extra steps that most of us skip right over during the "old" thought process. Supposedly these unnecessary extra steps are used for "brain training" so later on the children can grasp more complicated math concepts. I haven't seen that being the case.

I wouldn't worry about sending your home schooled children to a public school and having them grasp the material. As long as they can get the correct answer through the way you've taught them, I've found a lot of children being able to adapt and "play the game" that Common Core requires.

In our case, we've left the public school to HS and use the time to accelerate through a grade so my daughter can re-enter the public school as a high schooler. Avoiding Common Core curriculum has allowed us to move through the grade faster because my daughter isn't bogged down with busy work. For us, the biggest benefit of HSing is being able to avoid Common Core nonsense.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:29 PM
Master Pontificator

goldengate
I was just stating if she ever did have to return, not in my plan to have her in public schools. Just thinking of the what if.
Thanks
Old 04-04-2015, 09:22 PM

[QUOTE=CatherineID;410811]
I wouldn't worry about sending your home schooled children to a public school and having them grasp the material. As long as they can get the correct answer through the way you've taught them, I've found a lot of children being able to adapt and "play the game" that Common Core requires.

QUOTE]

Don't know about where you are but here the children have to SHOW how they got the answer and can get it counted partially or completely wrong if they don't show the correct procedure even if the answer is correct.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:32 PM

[QUOTE=ScrubbieLady;410820]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineID View Post

QUOTE]

Don't know about where you are but here the children have to SHOW how they got the answer and can get it counted partially or completely wrong if they don't show the correct procedure even if the answer is correct.
That depends on the grade level. In early grade levels, the "show your work" is definitely required. However, my 7th grade DD still figured out how to show her work even though she attained the answer FIRST by the usual method then wrote it out the Common Core way.

As the original poster said, she wasn't planning on sending her child to public school but wondered nonetheless if exposure to Common Core would be useful. I'm a part of a group that is trying to repeal Common Core in our state. It will be a hard, long battle but I believe we'll see a trend where Common Core will end much like "new math" was declared a disaster and allowed to die.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:01 PM
Master Pontificator

Common Core in NJ has ended.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:50 PM

I retired from teaching in the public school system just before this nonsense was introduced. Whewwwwwwwwww
Old 08-31-2015, 01:39 PM

personally, I think that "common core" is just one more step in the no child gets ahead policy the federal government has been forcing on the country ever since it involved itself in education back in the 70's. The goal is a population educated to respond--not rationally think for itself.

JVC
Old 08-31-2015, 06:46 PM

Actually all states have the option to not be part of common core. Virginia elected not to /as long as they have thier own stsndards which Virginia did.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:47 AM

Math in the common core is taught horribly wrong. Forgive me for the force of this nature but the truth is that not everyone that gets master is knowledgeable on the subject. However I do not know her so I cannot make this claim.

I can have a look at the material and decipher it. I am very good at reading the new curriculum, Its just of matter of understanding it (it does not mean I endorse it).
Old 03-10-2016, 09:42 AM

I'm not a teacher, nor am I very familiar with the details of CommonCore, but from the examples I've seen concerning math, it seems they are teaching theory first and working backwards towards utility. This is analogous to making a carpenter become an expert in Newton's Theory of Mechanics as it applies to potential & kinetic energy, momentum and acceleration, gravity and moment of inertia before letting him try to hit a nail with a hammer.

The idea that a school kid should leave school with at least a basic knowledge of some common stuff is rather obvious. But do we really need that sign at the bowling alley that says "Do Not Stick Your Head in the Ball Return Hole"? Or do we need the Feds in offices in DC telling teachers what must be taught in all schools. Maybe a kid in AK needs some basic knowledge about frostbite, but a kid in Chicago needs some info on gun safety?

I've seen this in the practice of medicine over the past 40 yrs: minimum mandated requirements quickly become maximum requirements and mediocrity becomes the goal for all.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:22 PM

Default ive looked at it as well.

These math problems are made in a way that gives the illusion of more understanding. However when kids apply it, specially within our schools, they would rather rush towards the answer,

http://truthinamericaneducation.com/...mon-Core_1.jpg

like are these really necessary? Do student need to do block block multiplication to learn math?

I worked with kids and most of them shortcut their way to the answer and this common core pretty much encourages it.

The process of getting to the answer, they should not be force to write them down. This instead should encourage to break sums apart if there stuck and encourage arithmetic.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:03 PM

From what I have seen and read most of the lack of understanding is the parents not the kids ..

If you don't understand let your kid teach you!! You just might learn something for a change.

http://hechingerreport.org/back-off-...with-homework/
Old 04-07-2016, 03:14 AM

From what I know, this has the illusion of trying to promote understanding. However I can tell most of these assignment that I have seen at elementary school level doe the opposite. Most kids are not teach to question the subject, so they try to shortcut there way to the answer.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:25 PM

Money.
New approach to a subject requires new text books.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...dollars-going/