BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 06-29-2014, 09:41 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Crossbow Recommendations

My wife would like a crossbow mainly for target practice. She had enjoy target shooting about 10 years ago and has been removed from it. Her niece was telling her how much she enjoyed archery with a crossbow. Now my wife wants to invest in one. Her goal is to use the crossbow for target practice (and hopefully I am not the target lol.) She wants something to use only in the backyard with a round bulls eye target although she may look into a self healing target. I realize I may get 100 different answers but I will try to pick out the most recommended. I should say she is 5'4" tall and won't tell me the weight but a strong wind will not blow her over. If I say anymore I will be the target. She is not interested in broad heads but may get some just in case she needs them. Thanks in advance. Ciderman
Old 07-01-2014, 09:55 AM

Is there an archery club in your area? I would join this and you will find a lot of members have cross bows and will let your wife try. This will help more than just reading.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I got my wife a small hand-held crossbow. Cheaper and easy to handle. Not good for hunting anything big, but would take birds and rabbits. I suspect it would be a pretty good self-defense weapon as well at close range.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:09 AM
Master Pontificator

Pay attention to the physical draw weight of the bow. The one I have shot has a 150 lb draw weight. You put your foot in a strirup and pull back with both hands. Though my arm muscles can physically handle that much weight, my sore back however cannnot. Tweeking my back out in the middle of nowhere is not something I'd look forward to.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:20 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I looked at them. However, due to the popularity of the tv show "The Walking Dead" the price of crossbows (quality) climbed to $300, $400, and even $600 dollars at the time I looked.

On the upside there has been a resurgence of DIY crossbow plans across the WWW.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:24 AM

Excalibur has a nice model, Apex. 90 lb draw weight, and a target crossbow. At Excalibur $550 but probably less elsewhere. Recommended by my husband and he shoots both crossbow and compound bow. Hope this helps!
Old 01-10-2016, 01:50 PM

Default Pistol Style Crossbows

There are several makers of a Pistol Style Crossbow, mostly with an 80 lb pull. If your wife wants only to shoot at targets this would be almost ideal. Most of them have a cocking device built into the frame, making them easy to cock. They take a "6" bolt" not arrow, but out to about 50 yds, they are pretty darn accurate. It set me back $49.95, made by a company called "Cobra". Oh, they will take broadhead bolts, too.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:54 PM

I'm a fan of archery mostly because I like the quiet. While archery often requires me to be closer to the target, at least I'm not attracting attention from miles away to my location when I use one. That said, we love practicing with compound bows, large crossbows and small hand-held crossbows. I haven't gotten into recurve bows yet although that is on the list.

My favorite is the small, hand-held crossbow also known as "tactical crossbow" or "pistol crossbow". I am 5'4" on a good day and fairly strong but since I'm older I prefer LESS than an 80 lb pull. Really, 50 lb pull is just fine. It is faster for me to load and less tiring. I'm going to be shooting close quarters anyway so it isn't like I need that much oomph. If you want to pay more look into a compound mini crossbow.

I also like how bolts for mini crossbows are so easy to obtain or make. Heck, I can split or break my other arrows and still end up with a bolt. For safety and self-defense, I'd keep a supply of broad heads on hand even if you're not going to use them all the time.

Recommendations: You'll probably buy new which is okay since the minis aren't that expensive anyway. The cheap, used ones on the market aren't worth it, IMHO. They are probably defective (as in bent or unstable). To avoid bending, look for one that is NOT aluminum. Look for as many customization parts as possible. She may want to add a site and different grip, adjust the trigger, etc. You want all those options available to you. (Just an aside: there is a lot to be said for owning a few "toss away" mini cross bows, too.) Just get as many options as you can in the price range you want with what is available in your area.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:22 PM

For those that are interested- I found an Excalibur crossbow for sale in the Cabelas Bargain Cave for a fraction of the retail price. However, not everyone has a Cabelas nearby. Just thought I'd throw that out there. In Idaho, you can hunt with a crossbow, but only during rifle season. I'm happy with the Excalibur, but it has a high draw weight. You have to use a cocking device. It is accurate, simple and pretty quiet.