BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:27 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Coupons

Does anyone here use food coupons?

Are you able to use them in rural/semi-rural areas?

I clip coupons weekly. Newspaper, internet. Most of them for food items.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie189 View Post
Does anyone here use food coupons?

Are you able to use them in rural/semi-rural areas?

I clip coupons weekly. Newspaper, internet. Most of them for food items.
Connie---I use too.
I will for dog food/coffee or paper products.
many stores have gotten real nasty about couponers--then why do they carry the product huh?
Old 12-05-2014, 01:01 PM

Mrs. Coaltrain is an avid coupon user. Since there is no such thing as a Sunday paper around here to get them, she scours the internet to find them - mostly on the manufacturer's sites. Even buys them on ebay at times - which I thought was ridiculous - but she showed me that even with paying for them she still got significant savings with them. Ebay has basically stopped letting people list coupons now though.

There are only 2 places to buy groceries at the town 20 miles away - Save-A-Lot and Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart is good at taking them but of course at face value. There used to be a big chain grocery store there also (which Wal-Mart pushed out of business) that would double or triple your coupons - no more of that.

A couple times a year when we visit my in-laws, she goes to a Weis Market which is a big grocery chain south of us. It is amazing how the price on everything is lower and the discounts she gets with her shoppers card. We pay way too much for groceries up here in the boonies.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:33 PM

I do a lot of rebating, too.

It pays to stay organized and make copies of everything you mail out.

It's harder to get free samples nowadays. Walmart used to have a free samples section online. The samples were of considerable size. Now, if you luck out and get one, it's only good for one use.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:37 PM

Txanne,

I think what it is, the manager has to process the coupons (read them, mail them in, etc., although they make $$ over the initial value).
Old 12-05-2014, 05:47 PM

coaltrain,

Twenty miles out to a grocery store. Trying to get a sense of that.

I got a chuckle 'cause that reminded me, my hubby always asks, "Is there ANYTHING else you need before we leave the area" (grocery shopping) and we're only 7 miles away to a preferred store, LOL.

However, when he goes to one of the two "corner stores" here where we live to pick up something I need, he forgets one of two items almost every time.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie189 View Post
coaltrain,

Twenty miles out to a grocery store. Trying to get a sense of that.

I got a chuckle 'cause that reminded me, my hubby always asks, "Is there ANYTHING else you need before we leave the area" (grocery shopping) and we're only 7 miles away to a preferred store, LOL.

However, when he goes to one of the two "corner stores" here where we live to pick up something I need, he forgets one of two items almost every time.
We have it down to a science now. We go every other week and that's it. There is a running list on the dining room table at all times. We have in inventory of everything in our stock room that consists of enough food and supplies that will last ~3 months. When you take an item from the shelf, you write it on the list right away. This way everything that we have used during the 2 weeks gets replenished. It's a long 5 hour day on our grocery runs and does us both in, but it's so nice knowing that we have everything we need. We keep up our 3 month supply so in the winter if we miss a trip or two we will be fine.

Mrs. Coaltrain has been working on this for a long time and now it all works. We've built up the inventory over the last 2 years as we can afford it. This also includes everything else one would need in a household including cleaning supplies, paper products, first aid, medications, etc. etc. The only thing that puts a snag in this is the stupid prescriptions which we can only get 30 day supply at a time. It's a long run just to get the meds if they fall to be refilled on the off weeks. Because of our insurance we can't get more than a 30 day supply and can't use the 90 day mail order.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:17 PM

Do you have an AARP membership - it has a prescription discount program.

Here is their online tool to help compare prescription costs at different pharmacies, also: www.AARPpharmacy.com They list the pharmacies that take the card.

I've used the National Prescription Savings Network RX Savings Card. (I have BCBS insurance and other "discount" cards on file so Walgreens will pick the card with the best coverage for the medication).

www.NPSNcards.com/member

I picked an insurance plan that has a zero co-pay on generics and try to use generics so save that way.

Would you consider ordering from a Canadian source? (Some companies have doctors located in the U.S. to help with processing).

I also got an only $20 co-pay for a year on a PB medication I was on; went to the manufacturer's website.

Do you have the type of medications that can be split (safely)?

Darn medications are so expensive!
Old 12-05-2014, 11:24 PM

I currently have a $1 co-pay for the generics so am not going to mess with that. It's just a pain trying to coordinate all my prescriptions to our twice per month runs to town.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:49 AM

Gotcha!

After I posted I thought about drones that Amazon wants to use and some farmers use (?) That would be a good way for the pharmacy to deliver out your way.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:03 AM

I have no idea how these drones would work, but likely wouldn't work around here - even most GPS units don't recognize my address.......

My in-laws live in a area that has a large Amish community. They are known to have some great stores that have heavily discounted canned goods and other staples. There is a new one opening near their home next month. Our plan is to have my wife go down there once a month or so to visit and do our stock up shopping there. This is also a good reason for her to visit her parents more often. Some of these newer stores even have electricity and lights!
Old 12-14-2014, 01:06 PM

With AARP you pay a membership fee too. Couple of us figure out Kmart vitamins was cheaper than AARP. She thought she was getting cheap. My Med Ins has drug Ins and prescriptions are $7.50 for 90 days. More you pay for Ins more it will cover.

We do not have a daily paper here and only one that comes weekly. I do not buy. Papers cost. I do not use coupons as get none. What I buy probably never have coupons. I do try to get things on sale if one. As senior bus only goes out of town on Thursday. Big city is 90 miles (180 round trip and can be a 12 hour day) Vernal is little closer and not as bad a trip. Local store is high. Small town.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:03 PM

Colorado,

You can print out paper coupons, like from www.coupon.com (Usually has a ton of them).

Pretty sure you could use them in a Walmart, (since they use/accept them).

Coupons now-a-days are only good for 30 days. Used to be a year and then 3-4 months. For medicines sometimes they try to force it in 5 days. Ridiculous!
Old 12-20-2014, 11:24 PM

Default kinda

I go online and add e coupons to my preferred shopper card at our favorite store (75 miles ea. way) Then if I buy that product the coupon kicks in. I like using that store since the points become fuel discounts. I gave DD my keychain card so that she can get the fuel discounts. But most of the coupons in the paper are for highly processed or expensive products we don't buy anyway.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:44 PM

crackergirl,

Do you also do rebates?

My average per year is $220.

I don't buy anything I don't already use.

I will buy new products to try with a guarantee. If I don't like something I will ask for a refund. So nothing to lose.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:54 PM
Master Pontificator

I was shopping at Walmart last week and the cashier was so rude because I showed her an ad where paper towels were on sale at another store and was four dollars cheaper than Walmart was. She started slamming the paper towels down on the register and throwing toilet paper that she had already rang up onto my other groceries.

When everything was rang up I gave her my coupons and she called the manager over telling him I was trying to use coupons for products I didn't purchase, so I had to take all the items out of the bags to show the manager that I did buy the products. He took my coupons off manually and walked away, then this cashier said I knew you had the items. I was nice and said thank you and hoped her day got better.
Thanks
Old 04-10-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanb View Post
I was shopping at Walmart last week and the cashier was so rude because I showed her an ad where paper towels were on sale at another store and was four dollars cheaper than Walmart was. She started slamming the paper towels down on the register and throwing toilet paper that she had already rang up onto my other groceries.

When everything was rang up I gave her my coupons and she called the manager over telling him I was trying to use coupons for products I didn't purchase, so I had to take all the items out of the bags to show the manager that I did buy the products. He took my coupons off manually and walked away, then this cashier said I knew you had the items. I was nice and said thank you and hoped her day got better.
Thanks
That's a shame.

The only place for us to buy groceries is a Wal-Mart without making a 130 mile round trip. This Wal-Mart is always super clean and the staff is always very nice - most of which I can recognize have been there for 10+ years.

I always hear negative comments on other forums also - I am guessing that maybe these are in cities?

And as far as the price matching, Mrs. C does this every time we are in there. Actually they don't have to since she has ads from stores that are much more than 50 miles away (the limit according to the terms). They never blink an eye and make the adjustment.