BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser


Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Energy

Energy Energy topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-19-2016, 10:29 PM
Methen Male Methen is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1
Default is living off grid really becoming illegal?

I have been reading some very disturbing things that many states are now making living off grid now illegal, I am wanting to find out if there is any truth in this, I understand Canada is suppose to have made it illegal and other states are also doing so, Search google for <living off grid illegal> and you will see what I mean...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-20-2016, 11:11 AM
coaltrain's Avatar
coaltrain Male coaltrain is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NW Penna
Posts: 1,722
Default

I only scanned 2 articles quickly and it seems these instances were in some sort of city.

I lived off grid 8 miles from where I currently live for many years - and could very easily do the same here without anyone knowing it.

When you live in a "city" you are sustainable to all kinds of rules and regulations. I live pretty much in the "backwoods" and nobody cares about stuff like that.
__________________
~Stan~
It is what it is
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-20-2016, 05:12 PM
Doninalaska Doninalaska is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,978
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methen View Post
I have been reading some very disturbing things that many states are now making living off grid now illegal, I am wanting to find out if there is any truth in this, I understand Canada is suppose to have made it illegal and other states are also doing so, Search google for <living off grid illegal> and you will see what I mean...
When I looked into Canada a number of years ago, it was not legal to live more than a mile from a paved road in most provinces, supposed for EMS and fire response. I don't know if it has gotten stricter since then, but it makes no sense to me since much of Canada has no electrical grid--much like Alaska.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-20-2016, 06:33 PM
MissouriFree's Avatar
MissouriFree MissouriFree is online now
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: central missouri woods
Posts: 18,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
I only scanned 2 articles quickly and it seems these instances were in some sort of city.

I lived off grid 8 miles from where I currently live for many years - and could very easily do the same here without anyone knowing it.

When you live in a "city" you are sustainable to all kinds of rules and regulations. I live pretty much in the "backwoods" and nobody cares about stuff like that.
I think you right on. These stories are typical of requirements that have been in cities for ages. Nothing new here. I live in country and face no rukes, building codes of any kind.
__________________
I find out of long experience that I admire all nations and hate all governments- Steinbeck
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-21-2016, 11:15 AM
Setanta Male Setanta is offline
Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 862
Default

I lived in a township/city that had made it illegal to be off grid, in this case the city had a municipal power plant/hydroelectric and it was a city ordinance that everyone had to have their property connected and pay a mandatory minimum monthly bill, regardless if they lived there or had a house on it. it was designed to divide up the plant costs among all property owners equally, everyone had the same bill. people who hardly used it paid the exact same as people who were electric gluttons. they offered no opt out, if you didn't pay the electric bill they levy it onto your property taxes. same with water, sewar, trash pickup, etc. I left that town after a 2 year disaster experience, all combined I was paying $1000+ per month to live in a declining waste of a city now known as the slums of northern ny.

in the police state of ny they are pushing hard on the amish to install power and mandate central wired smoke detectors, and carbon monoxide detectors. they also mandate all new homes be 2000 square feet or more. the code regeulations mandate all homes be kept up to date with current technology and standards. under the veil of safety but mostly to keep property values higher so they can be taxed more. property values are infulnced by resale value, and niche lifestyles are considered lower value, while the right buyer may pay a lot more for a niche property, a standardized property will be more sellable to anyone. one size fits none policy.

it also falls down to the local leadership and community as well, in the city they will chase you for anything, in smaller cities, towns, and gentrified areas (yuppy college towns and vacation hubs), they will be fairly high standard, in rural areas where there is excess poverty, lots of farms and trees, and everyone has bigger concerns, while they might have those laws on the books, they won't enforce them much.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-21-2016, 04:41 PM
doc doc is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
Posts: 1,524
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
... everyone had to have their property connected and pay a mandatory minimum monthly bill, regardless if they lived there or had a house on it. it was designed to divide up the plant costs among all property owners equally, everyone had the same bill. people who hardly used it paid the exact same as people who were electric gluttons. they offered no opt out, if you didn't pay the electric bill they levy it onto your property taxes. same with water, sewar, trash pickup, etc.l .
Ain't communism great?

Every college freshman starts to read Marx's The Communist Manifesto and is convinced that's the way to go. The problem is, they only read the first half of the book describing the motivation for and theory of communism. In the second half he describes reality and predicts how it won't work due to the frailties of human psychology.

But then, Liberals deal in fantasies, not facts & reality.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-21-2016, 04:57 PM
MissouriFree's Avatar
MissouriFree MissouriFree is online now
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: central missouri woods
Posts: 18,604
Default

Just my opinion but cities forcing people to connect to public utilities has absolutely zero to do with lifestyle . It is all about money and the utilities rates that are approved, utilities base thier rate s of production cost and number of customers.
Setanta is right. Same thing with codes and code violation it's all about money- pure capilatisic money
To belief anything else is folly.
__________________
I find out of long experience that I admire all nations and hate all governments- Steinbeck

Last edited by MissouriFree; 04-22-2016 at 03:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -2. The time now is 01:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1996 to Present. Backwoods Home Magazine, Inc.