BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Plants > Farm/ Garden/Flowers/ Shrubs/ Trees

Farm/ Garden/Flowers/ Shrubs/ Trees If it grows in the soil, this is the forum.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:30 PM

Question Best place to order vegetable seeds?

I am getting an order ready and would like recommendations if anyone is so inclined

If there is already a recent thread about this please add this to that thread

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2015, 11:13 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Samie.... Ii is going to be hard to help/suggest for you since you don't list a state at minimum for location.... There can be several growing zones across some states.... For instance I'm in the zone 3 portion of WI....

I don't buy veggie seeds, but do occasionally get berry shrubs and bushes...
I pay particular attention to what is compatible with my zone here, and what is available from local growers, who are better at growing than I...

It makes sense to me it would be best for you to only deal with garden/nursery companies that are reasonably local to you, and plants etc. that are compatible to your zone..

Good luck...
Old 02-16-2015, 11:15 PM

There have been several threads on this in the past. I have been ordering seeds for almost 40 years from a number of climate zones. Let us know where you are and we will help. I would start with Johnnys, Pinetree (Superseeds) or Territorial in the North, and Parks, Southern Exposure, or Baker Creek in the South.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:26 PM

I really like Johnny's & was very pleased with the yield as well as the quality of the seeds. I used Baker Creek occationally for the really hard to find rare stuff but sometimes the quantity was a little low for what i had in mind.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:00 AM

Thanks I'll take a look, I am in zone 6a

I am trying to find one place to get all the types of seeds I want in one order but it isn't easy!
Old 02-17-2015, 12:54 AM

"One supplier has it all"..... That may be hard to find... In any zone....

Even with the few, but diverse, zone compatible plants/shrubs that I do buy, no one source is likely to "have it all".....

Good luck....
Old 02-17-2015, 05:22 AM

Last couple of years, we've been buying from Baker Creek, but this year I think I'm going to try to find a local shop that has more strains for our area. Haven't looked much, but I'm sure there are plenty.

FYI - Baker Creek is kind of expensive, but I have really been satisfied with what I've received from them.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:17 PM

The seed quality at the box stores is generally lower than that purchased from catalogs, as it usually is what is left over when the major seed houses are finished filling the orders to their major customers (CATALOGS DON'T USUALLY GROW ALL THE SEEDS THEY SELL), but sometimes it doesn't matter. I often buy my radish seeds locally, as it doesn't matter as much if the crop has problems. This difference occurs because the normal home gardener who buys seeds at a local box store blames him/herself if the crop fails, but the farmer or market gardener blames the seed company so the seed providers market their best seeds to the commercial folks at a higher cost in order to maintain their reputation and market share. You will notice in the catalogs that packets are expensive (per seed) but if you buy the bulk quantities, it is not nearly as bad. If you can buy with friends or garden club, you can get good seed at a good price through the catalog. A local garden store here used to pool orders for their customers, but they have retired.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:13 PM

Thanks everyone

I am going to order some seeds from Jackie Clay who writes a blog here

http://seedtreasures.com

and keep looking at other sites for a few more things I want, maybe baker creek but yes they are expensive! johnny's even more so!
Old 03-27-2015, 08:54 AM
Master Pontificator

I use Hazzards and Johnnys. I like Hazzards a lot because they supply to market gardeners so there seed packets cost a little more, but have a whole lot more seeds in them.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:16 PM

I like Baker Creek because I have saved some of their seeds successfully. at rareseeds dot com or maybe dot org
Old 05-09-2016, 12:41 AM

I get most of my seeds, that I don't harvest/save, in bulk from the local farm and feed store. They sell by the ounce or pound and I get more than 10X as much seed for the price of packets. In the fall they discount what they have left and I stock up on seeds having good shelf life.