BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance

Self-reliance Self-reliance topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:18 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
Balance.... To me, this is a key word.. A for instance would be, stainless as well as cast iron pans, more than one way to cook..
==
Another thought on tools... To me there are several categories of tools.. All hand powered..

Pioneer tools... Shovel, rake, tile spade, hay manure forks etc...

Hand tools.. Hand saws, hammers, brace and bits.. Now this detail..
Along with hand powered hole making tools... A good supply of fasteners..

Nails, screws, bolts, nuts, washers, different sizes and lengths of all thread rod.. You may not be able to run to town for one more bolt to finish that project.. KnowwhatImean...

My 2 cents..
get free nails, i break up old shipping pallets and burn them, then i i rake out the nails. the heat wears off any rust, but also changes the temper of the metal. often those nails can be reused. back when nails were all homemade old houses were burned so people could sift through the debris to collect nails.

a lot of hand tools can be homemade, they won't do as well as well made tools or last nearly as long, but they do the job. when i didn't have a maul to split firewood i used a brace to bore holes in a short piece of elm firewood than ran an ash sapling through it, i could pound on the back of an ax all day with a wooden head and never mushroom the metal. when i could afford a maul i bought one. when i sythed down the roadside and raked up the grasses (or raked up behind a county mower) i made piles of clippings everywhere then i made a pitchfork/hay fork from an ash tree by splitting the ends into 3 tines. worked for a few years for loading the hay piles onto sleds, tarps, etc to drag down to the compost piles. eventually the tines break, i eventually bought a regular fork in a yardsale for $5

a good working knowledge of how things were done in the past is also a great asset. people used to make everything they needed because metal was rare. I would reccomend getting the foxfire books as well. one of my own upcommng progects is to build a hay sled i saw in one of their books. people used sleds when wagon wheels were not available
Old 05-14-2016, 12:02 AM
Master Pontificator

Prepper motto - "one is none" so I'd say backups for items that are absolutely necessary. A spading fork for prepping the garden and digging potatoes is one thing I have 2 or 3 of and another is can openers again 2 or 3. There are plenty of items that fall into that category and plenty more that could be done without should they break. Everyone just needs to look at what they have and decide which require backups.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:09 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Fitness, health, personal responsibility.

I've seen some brief mentions of medicines in this thread. I'd like to add some emphasis to that point.

In ANY city, berg, town or hamlet there are not enough medical personnel to handle a major event. It doesn't matter whether the casualties are due to trauma or illness, there aren't enough medical professionals to take care of a significant rise in patient count.

Even now, with no looming threat, I know for certain that there are times, nearly every day, when every single ambulance in our area is tied up on a call.

Under normal conditions, our local hospitals frequently find themselves at or near capacity.

But wait, there's more -- In the face of a calamitous event the majority of responders will value their families over the populace. Its only natural.

So, when it comes to medical care, each of us need to take personal responsibility for the quality of our health, as well as being prepared to take care of our own health problems.

This means we need to lay in supplies gain the ability to make supplies.

We also need to realize the importance of taking care of our own health. Fitness, sanitation and diet are important but don't underestimate safety. Gloves, glasses, rapid treatment of wounds prevent injuries and infection.

And finally, soberly, we need to come to grips with what happens when we're not going to get well and we can't help ourselves. Is it morally proper to use up limited resources with no hope of returning to productivity?

We won't need an EMP to take us into this world. We live on the very edge of it every day.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.