BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:41 PM
Master Pontificator

Went through my closet and found I have capris and summer shirts that I purchased on sale last year, so this year I only need a couple pair of knee length denim shorts and a new pair of sandals.

This has been a winter with low humidity which is awful for the skin and hair, so I went ahead and ordered the Hawaiian Coconut body soaps, lotion, shampoo, and conditioners.
Thanks
Old 04-16-2016, 05:17 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

It has gone back to rather chilly here. At home I wear jeans. Tees and sweat shirts. That I have, Been checking pants and tops for city wear. I go once a week on senior bus to a city. Those 4 pair of pants should do me and plenty of tees. Gets chilly on bus to me. Need jackets of some kind. I still have plenty of old clothes that are real good yet. I have never spent much on clothes. When I worked I had to dress but not fancy. Pants. blouses. sweaters.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:59 PM

My husband and I just cleared out our closets and sent 6 Walmart bags to Goodwill. We had way too many clothes and now are much better off.
I typically wear skirts so I have plenty for Summer and may need to get a couple by next Winter. I have some capris and a couple pair of jeans that fit but I'm working on losing weight and if I do then I have 4 pairs of jeans, lol.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:41 PM

My wt is where doctor wants. I am slim as I will get. He set the wt and to walk. I cleaned big things some time back and couple more this month.

We had a little snow here yesterday morning. So still pretty chilly here. Well cold yet. I do not plan to buy any coat unless the zipper would break in my jacket. Been thinking I will wear my black duster. It is still good and seems back in style. My sister gave it to me years ago. I wore it then.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:47 AM

FUN We stopped at thrift shop when we went to big city. Needed to get rags to cut mechanic rags for son. I look for a pair of brown pants. I find a good dark brown pair. Ask DIL to look for size. She says no size. I held up and seem to be long enough and tried measure waist on me. Got them home and tag says size 6 short. They sell pants for a dollar and jeans at $3.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:50 PM
Master Pontificator

I went to two thrift stores last week and spent $7 one place and $7.50 at the other. First, I got 7 pieces at $1 each 6 shirts & 1 slacks. Second place $2.50 each for 2 pairs capris and $2.50 for shirt.

The slacks were petites and I need a regular except I like the shorter length when working (outside especially) so the bottoms don't drag. When I got them home I realized the petites had been shortened, so I let them back down and re-hemmed them. Sizes are so ridiculously un-uniform that one time a petite is perfect and next time too short. Ditto a regular size is too long one time and the next perfect. I hate hemming jeans but don't mind slacks.

I did not NEED anything, but I continue to add to stockpile. When SHTF occurs, I don't think much is going to be available. At my age, I figure I can manage the rest of my days with what I currently own if necessary. I still need to add a pair of shoes, but price is $160 and not currently in my budget.

When dh passed, I cut up all his T-shirts and put them back to use as bathroom cloths in a SHTF situation. I'm thinking I might hit a bag sale sometime and pick up a bunch more to cut up for bathroom cloths.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:33 PM

Anna
Sizes are crazy, I do need P or short. Si ze 6 I have been wearing. BUT are low waist which I do not like. I wear my tops on the out side . I do not want thin pants. I buy by waist size and hem them up. But finding P will fit. I like good pockets in the pants. I got this brown pair for city wear. I want to look nice but not fancy. Washable things. I have tops to go with brown pants. Some tops are a bit fancy I guess but wash. Came out of the rag bags, They put in some nice things at times. And my size,

SHTF here the economy is going down. Not hitting me really. Lot have left here and bunch of empty rentals. Gas/oil drilling has stopped due to low gas prices. DIL has rentals so far one empty. Grocery store has put in hardware also. They have cut down. They are high on food. I just buy milk there. With prices on things and utilities I am trying to not buy. I cut my budget down. Vitamins sure have came up. I need for MD. So far I am ok.

But have some extra clothes can be good. I have extra jeans when the thrift had sales. 50 cents. Thrifts may get less donations.

In town where older son is the coal mines are shutting down. Town is hurting.