BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 12-14-2014, 03:59 PM

In the past I have used the Lansky system.
This past year the dear wife got me a new grass blade for the scythe and a medium grit whet stone: http://www.scythesupply.com/equipment.html
It puts a razor edge on the scythe after a few minutes. While it does take little longer, works great on my other knives.
I do like the Lansky puck for those odd shaped blades.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:44 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

For knives , plane irons and chisels I use sandpaper with very fine grit ( walmart sell them in the auto finishing section down to 1500 grit) . I have a piece of 1/2 glass the local window guy saved for me from cut offfs.It is 12 x24. I use 3m adhesive spray to stick the paper to glass side by side in progressive grits. When worn out use a razor knife to scrape off the sandpaper and some Goup to get adhesive off and start over a new.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:47 PM
Master Pontificator

Like a couple of you fellows have said, I think I own just about every knife sharpening device known to man. I dislike sharpening knives and have been looking for that often touted, but very illusive perfect knife sharpener which is fast simple and easy to use. The diamond lansky and warthog sharpeners are two of the better ones, but you need three warthogs with one set up for each type knife edge, otherwise with one it is always set up for the wrong edge needing sharpening at the present time.

The sharpener I use most often now which is very portable is the Arno sharpener. It is made in France and very rapidly refreshes a dull edge on a knife's blade.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:53 PM

Default Use a Razor strop

I use a diamond hone and a ceramic rod to get the initial edge but then move to either a stropping block (which I made) or a regular leather razor strop coated with jewelers rouge. Most sharpening tools leave a feather edge that rolls over easily, remove that feather by stropping. I have a W. R. Case and Sons "sod buster" that I can and do shave with. It is not a straight razor but almost.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:12 PM

My favorite knife sharpener is a young guy who was neighbor when I had the old farm place.. His kids call me grandpa so I can get him to do stuff like that for me... Besides he is reasonably good at it..

Interesting thread... Long ago I learned as well as good equipment to do this job you need...... patience, practice, talent...

Those are the 3 things I seem to lack in doing this....

Good luck..
Old 12-05-2015, 07:45 PM

can't say it is my favorite--don't think I've found that one yet. I usually use the diamond blocks these days.

However, this is a handy little sharpener for carrying out to work, and does a pretty decent job:

http://www.garrettwade.com/carbee-sh...peners-gp.html

jvc
Old 05-16-2016, 10:07 AM

Default Sharpens best

At the Self Preparedness Expo, this guy had a booth set up where he was hawking these little gadgets.

I passed him by the first time but, with a few minutes to kill while awaiting the start of my suturing class, I went ahead and listened to his pitch. My knife is always pretty sharp -- not always shaving sharp unless I've just honed it up. So the guy is showing off this tiny sharpener -- slicing paper with a pizza cutter and stuff like that. He asks for a volunteer knife so I pony up.

First, he slices some paper to see how sharp my knife is. It did pretty good and he bragged on it a little.

Then, with just a few strokes, as if "brushing" the bladee, he showed me what my knife is capable of. I handed over my money.

After getting home I took a rusty old pruning shear -- the pass through style, not the anvil style. In 45 strokes, I had the blade slicing slivers off a sheet of paper. I hardly consider myself a sharpening wiz but I totally impressed myself.

Four of five strokes on our big butcher knife and it , too, is crazy sharp.

I think the element is made of tungsten carbide or something like that but what i do know is that the little booger works great and it fits on my key chain. It's worth a look.

There is a bit of skill involved -- holding the proper angle is important and a wrong move can dull the blade in one pass. But it really works and best of all, fits in your pocket.

Here's a video.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:24 PM

I've been using a 3 inch DMT fine diamond sharpener I got for about $15 . Test is the same - slice paper. It's 3 x 1 with diamonds on one side- course I can't light a fire with it
Old 05-19-2016, 12:27 AM
Master Pontificator

[QUOTE=randallhilton;425063]At the Self Preparedness Expo, this guy had a booth set up where he was hawking these little gadgets.

Your "Sharp-n-spark" is basically nothing more than the Arno sharpener I mentioned in a plastic handle and spiced up a little possibly to add gadget appeal to the younger crowd, and try and avoid patent infringement suits.

The Arno has an aluminum handle and can be had with the "V" tungsten carbide sharpener alone or with it and a diamond ground carbide piece to remove any burrs from the sharpened edge.

From what you said about the tools sharpening ability, they apparently got the Arno copied well, because the Arno's tungsten carbide sharpener will put a fast edge on a knife for sure.

BTY Garrett Wade sells the Arno sharpeners, jvcstone; and if I remember correctly the little CarBee sharpeners are more or less their own version of the Arno sharpeners also.

I purchases a few of the Garrett Wade CarBee Sharpeners for gifts in the past, but like the longer handle on the Arno myself, but for something to carry in ones pocket the CarBee sharpener is definitely a handy size.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:16 PM

Sharpening a knife takes off metal when you use a sharpening tool. I very rarely sharpen my knife. Most of the time I use a honing steel because the edge of the knife is curled. The honing steel does not remove metal, it straightens the edge of the knife back to normal. When I do sharpen my knives, I use a Work Sharp WSKTS-KO Knife and Tool Sharpener Ken Onion Edition $129. This is a very expensive sharpener. A less expensive model is the Work Sharp WSKTS-KO Knife and Tool Sharpener around $69 works just as well. The cheaper one is for moderate use and the expensive one is for very heavy use. The way you can tell if your knife needs honing instead of sharpening is to look down the blade from the tip to the handle with a magnifying glass. If you see a curled edge try honing it and if it is not curled use a sharpener. I hone my knife 6 to 8 times before I have to actually sharpen it. Hope this is not too long winded of a response but my dad was a butcher and taught me this wisdom.

"People who disrespect our flag have never received a folded one"